Automobilista v1.2.1 & Formula Truck DLC RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 27, 2016.

1. AchillesXI

AchillesXI New Member AMS2 Club Member

• Added option to customize number of warnings (range 0-100) for track limit violations before penalty is triggered (options both in-game & Dedi tool)
    :) Does this rule apply to the AI too?

2. doberk

doberk New Member

very nice update :) But dissapointed because is still not having boost mapping. I feel the lack of this feature since the first time I tested AMS.

3. pennarguy

pennarguy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, no offence taken for sure.
    One of the reasons I don't like them is that AMS is a PC sim' and not a game.
    For me it was very successful as GSC2012/13 and GSCE and was populated, I admit, by a niche of players who just liked the track racing and that was enough....
    It is not that achievements, as such, disrupt my playing the sim', it is where they may lead to.
    Too much "game play" can turn an excellent sim' into a game and as often happens, because of the massive market out there for consoles you end up with just a game...look at what has happened to AC; it now is just a rather complicated game, driven not by the niche, but by the mass.
    I play all sorts of car racing programs and each has it's place to be enjoyed in different ways and track racing sim's are a different way of enjoyment to say, the "Need For Speed Shifts." I enjoy both, because they are different and satisfy in different ways.
    For myself and I know I am not alone, the pleasure I get from a product like AMS is the challenge of the setting up of the cars in the main, the testing, the practice, until I know that I have found my limit and the cars limit, subject to my driving skill. I don't need the program to tell me what I have, or have not achieved, I already know.
    The racing is the icing on the cake, after much hard work.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  4. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is no conflict or contradiction between the terms game and simulation.

The definition of a game is

1. a form of competitive activity or sport played according to rules.
    2. an activity that one engages in for amusement.

Your own post confirms this. You refer to "players" and GSC/GSCE - the G stands for "game". You talk about the pleasure you get - substitute the word pleasure for amusement - a game is an activity that one engages in for pleasure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, I agree with that :)

Main reason we've elected to postpone achievements again, beyond F-Truck stuff taking up a lot of the dev time is to avoid rework, as the upcoming custom season tool and AI developments will move goalposts considerably.

We're aware Steam achievements are already long overdue but if you may please bare with us a little longer, we'd like to try to get them right.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Rodent

Rodent Member AMS2 Club Member

Glad to hear they're not forgotten Renato! And that they're being postponed to keep the Reiza standards up, consider me placated and a happy camper. :)

As for "Sim vs Game" and achievements, well... rFactor 2 has them, and if you find yourself arguing rFactor 2 is more on the Forza scale of things I hate to tell ya, you're wrong.

7. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Thanks for information.
    Take your time as long as it needs.:)
    In the meantime I will do hotlapping in AC and join again AMS when achievements and maybe Diesel dust clouds:D of the trucks hit this really outstanding simulation.

The achievements in rFactor 2 are a very good example how achievements should not be. They are just stupid and boring instead of motivating and rewarding.

8. Rodent

Rodent Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed to an extent about rF2's achievements though I still prefer them to AC's idea of having most of them in their special events that teach you nothing about racing besides divebombing turn 1. rF2's are mostly gained by just playing the sim naturally. I quite like DiRT Rally's as well. I mostly brought up rF2 to highlight that there's no magical dumbing down of a sim for steam achievements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. drtracer

drtracer New Member

Renato!

10. drtracer

drtracer New Member

Take all the time you need! No need to rush and end up with patches and fixes.

11. Dian Smokes

Dian Smokes New Member

Also curious about this, bought the game without realizing it wasn't going to work, still have a chance to refund it with steam, but i would much rather just keep it if the fix isn't too far off

12. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 New Member AMS2 Club Member

First of all I would like to say thank you for the Xmas & New Year present from Reiza! You guys really are tireless to even keep pushing out updates when other devs are shutting down for the holiday season. The Formula Dirt and new track is a lot of fun! I have some reservations on the Formula Truck though.

I still have my copy of FTruck 2013 installed and I gave it a quick whirl before testing out the updated trucks in AMS. I have to say the trucks feel quite different and unfortunately I prefer the feel in old FTruck. In the old game they feel a lot more heavy and can happily drift sideways for the whole corner. In the AMS version the steering is much lighter, it understeers more on entry, and I have troubles getting it to drift consistently. Past a certain slip angle it would just spin, very reminiscent of cars in vanilla rFactor where the slightest slip angle means you are beyond recovery.

I've tried setting RealFeel steering force to the same numbers as FTruck, changing steering rotation (I used 900 deg with max lock in FTruck), even making sure all numbers in the settings screen are the same (stock setup are unchanged). I also checked the truck's specs - all of them are the same in FTruck and AMS. I set track usage to Max and track progression to None to ensure maximum grip. It's better, but still doesn't feel as "manly" and convincing as FTruck. I wonder what I'm missing?

It would be interesting to read any thoughts from Niels as to what changes in the physics under the hood to cause such a change. From GSCE to AMS most cars feel reasonable similar. The F1 cars have changed and mostly they are a lot better. But this even from the first corner I can tell something is off. And not for the better unfortunately. Guess I'm hanging on to my FTruck install for a bit longer.

EDIT: Someone suggested maxing front camber and ARB, and detaching rear ARB. With maximum steering lock it drifts better now. I'm using FC mostly as that's the lightest truck. With other trucks it's still not as good.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  13. Rudolph523

Rudolph523 Member

i really like the inclusion of the custom season tool. but is the boost/turbo mapping inclusion still coming or not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fred Hough

Fred Hough New Member AMS2 Club Member

Any news on the G29 please

15. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any news of the news?

Let them have some rest :)

16. Renato Simioni

We are still working on improving support for both the Logitech g29 as well as the Fanatec CSL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joshua Anderson

Joshua Anderson Cosmo-holic AMS2 Club Member

I'm loving the Formula Trucks, they're interesting to get used to but when one does, they're a lovely experience! :D

I've just one question though - is there any chance we could get chassis and wheel rim templates for the trucks? I know that templates for most parts of the trucks (body, windows, cockpit etc.) exist on the Game Formula Truck website but they don't seem to include anything for the trucks' chassis and wheels. This isn't normally a problem when skinning, and with the Mannheim and Volvo's chassis it's less of an issue given it's just one logo but it's quite restricting with the FC as the chassis and Itabil logo can't be changed from blue and being present, so one has to work around that.

Also it would be awesome if we could have custom wheel colours when painting trucks. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  18. Zanardi

Zanardi New Member

Stunning as usual and after all those years i'm more than ever in love with that outstanding work.

You guys remained always true to yourselves, all your devotion with that much of passion deserves nothing but respect and gratitude! Highly appreciated guys!

BTW cant wait for the diesel smoke, looks great!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Smiggie

Smiggie Member

I'm a bit confused here...

"OBS 3: F-Truck diesel smoke from the exhaust is still being worked on and has not been implemented in this build"

This is what I read on the latest release notes, but some friends report they sometimes can see smoke, and now also this video showing smoke from some trucks... I still can't see it! I have the special effects setting on "high" ... Can we have some clarifications please?

btw the smoke looks so cool, fu** the pollution lol

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Renato Simioni

Diesel smoke can be seen when running with or against one of FC teams at Curitiba (it was accidentally left on for that combo). Still very WIP though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1