Automobilista - How the FFB works and what is new about it

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, any clipping on the software (Game-FFB) side is carried over to the hardware side but, a game FFB-meter can't tell if there's clipping on the hardware side.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ok I don't quite understand that side of it. You would think that %100 in the hardware profiler just means the wheel is using full strength. How would that relate to clipping?

2. Supa

"Heitor Facuri Cicoti, post: 18304, member: 104"]Guys, what about the "ConsoleEnabled=True" line on RealFeelPlugin.ini? Isn't that a way to know if the software side is clipping?

Yes Heitor you can use the console feature to determine clipping. I've used it but don't know enough about it. Here is something about it if you're going to use it.....

Console Details
    ---------------

-03300 0 11500 100% 11500 -00074 -00074 -02634 04228 002%
    (a) (b) (c) (d) (e) (f) (g) (h) (i) (j)

(a) MaxForceAtSteeringRack

(b) SmoothingLevel

(c) SteeringDamper

(d) RealFeelMixerPercent

(e) SteerForceInputMax

(f) SteeringArmForce (Raw)

(g) SteeringArmForce (After smoothing and damping)

(h) Max negative SteeringArmForce since last reset

(i) Max positve SteeringArmForce since last reset

(j) Output FFB percentage

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My FFB has improved noticeably by trying what Renato recommended here.

I tested using 1200 max force at steering rack with 80% FFB strength, 100% FFB strength and 90% FFB strength. I liked 90% the most but now my question is...

What is the smartest, most efficient, way to test for the optimum settings?

Should I fiddle with FFB strength now or max force at steering rack now?

And, if should fiddle with max force at steering rack now, should I set FFB strength to 100% first?

You get the idea.

My understanding is that in-game strength affects "everything" while max force affects "not everything" :p so there is a relationship between the two so any guidance as to which to test first, etc. would be much appreciated.

TIA

4. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Question is; do you use PURE only?
    If so, best thing would be to set ingame to 100% and adjust using MaxForceAtSteeringRack.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Professionalsimracing.com

Yep. Pure only. Thanks!

6. Supa

But if you set in game to 100 or in my case my Bodnar wheel software to 100 and adjust maxforce I would have to increase maxforce by so much to reduce the strength to make it usable that you then tend to lose or wash out the lighter forces. There was mention of this in another post.

So I though tthe best setting is to use Reiza default realfeel settting and just reduce by %20-30 to remove clippng for DD Wheels. I run about %70-80 strength in Wheel profile.

7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I generally set the wheel output strength to 100% and reduce the game FFB gain setting to fit my desired FFB-force level. I had best results with both the AccuForce and OSW using that method and soft-clipping should not be an issue.

In AC, the game-FFB gain ends up being about 35% for the OSW; AMS at 55-65%, and rF2 about the same as AMS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Professionalsimracing.com

I find this tempting because in-game values are easier to test because don't have to leave track to change the value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Supa

Shouldnt be any difference between the 2 should there? They both affect all forces I thought. Be easier to leave wheel at %100 and just adjust ingame so I might try that What realfeel setting do you reccomend?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Professionalsimracing.com

Who are you asking? :p

Edit - I guess it's me since mine was last post. I don't have a recommendation because I'm not sure if is the same but I'd be interested and if is the same then I guess the recommendation would be to change whichever one you want? :confused:

11. Dean Ogurek

File tweaking is a hobby for some and that's fine; I just prefer to just use one broad stroke to accomplish the task so I can focus on Racing. :)

If the files are being overwritten with some updates, that makes for more editing too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ffb_problem

ffb_problem New Member

I have weird problem with my FFB. It feels like self-centering force is eating all details in higher speeds (especially in high downforce cars). If i drive over kerb at low speed i can feel rumble, but if i drive over same kerb at high speed i can only feel one constant force. This happens even if i lower ffb force % in game or at my wheels control panel. I gain no details, but everything feels just weaker. If i increase Low Force Boost, it makes it worse. I have tried all kind of setups, but nothing helps. Its difficult to drive without detailed feedback. There is nice details at first, but when i turn my wheel more (over 25-35°), self-centering force overpowers everything. It feels like its clipping, but that "wall" of no detail comes even with lower force %.

My wheel is Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE and im using Windows 10

13. Dean Ogurek

What FFB-mode are you using? "Pure" is best in my experience as the others may introduce dampening or other effects.

14. yusupov

yusupov Member AMS2 Club Member

you want to decrease FFB boost, not increase it. that might be condensing your signal?

otherwise it sounds like you're clipping; technically speaking i don't think you want to use higher than 75% (linearity decreases after that) in the TM control panel, but it's personal preference (just make sure with higher strength you enable the constant fan).

it also sounds like you may have accidentally enabled a steering assist (there are several) so be sure to check those.

if none mine or dean's suggestions work, what is the car/track combo?

15. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

Probably off topic, but the real life steering rotation of my steeringwheel to turn the car (Ultima Racer, Caterham 620r to name just two) seems to be way more than before the 1.4 Update, the steering now is way more indirectly and I need to steer way more to get the car where I want it to go(ím not talking understeer here, just steering range way too big!) ...or is it placebo??

Cheers
    Robin

16. ffb_problem

ffb_problem New Member

Im using Pure 360 mode. I also tried 180 mode, but it was feeling same. I also have tried boost from 0 to 100%, still not getting all the detail. Lower boots is better tho. I have also tried TM control panel forces 60-100%. When i go with lower force, i dont really get more linearity or detail, everything just feels weaker. Its like game is somehow "boosting" higher end forces too much and it eats away everything.

It happens especially strong with modern formula cars, but also in some degree with Stock Car and other race cars with higher down force. Low speed corners i get details, but in high speed it steering just goes stiff.

17. yusupov

yusupov Member AMS2 Club Member

i think its a hardware issue that can probably be tempered with some software settings. in general from what ive observed throughout sims, w/ a fast HDF car tends to create clipping in high speed corners, the benefit being that feeling isn't lost at low speed on lower-end wheels.

tbh id think that mixing the 3 settings (in-game: ffb boost% + strength%) & out of game (profiler strength setting) would give you something satisfactory...the higher the profiler strength, the less min force is needed, but it sounds like you want to go the other way.

its odd since ive mostly seen complaints about 'dead center' or 'no feeling' at lower speeds (again, w/ sims in general). you don't seem to have any issue there & if you're noticeably clipping in high speed corners with low gain settings, my guess is whatever you'd consider 'low' (in-game) is far from it...i think someone with an OSW said they set gain to around 25% (??), try 50% perhaps & if its still bothersome but nothing else has become problematic go lower? also be sure to check assists if you haven't!

18. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

Like I stated above yesterday, there definitely is a steering deadzone in my steeringwheel since the update (G920 Logitech) . The wheel works fine and steers perfectly with Assetto Corsa. Also the Polo RX mod/Historic GT Mod(older cars) steers fine and direct in AMS, but AMS cars like all Ultimas, Caterham 620R, Vintage F1 1967 have a deadzone....way too much to my likings and it wasn't there before.

What can it be? I did not change anything to the settings at all.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Robin

19. ffb_problem

ffb_problem New Member

Thanks for answers. I dont have any assists on so its not that. And its not problem of going lower % either. If i keep going lower and lower wheel just gets too weak. It feels like clipping, but its weird because it doesnt give me more detail when i lower forces. It feels like that self centering force overwrites everything in corners. If i lower forces, it just feels weaker.

Example, when im driving in Suzuka aka. Kansai. I approach 130R, i touch kerb in straight line, brrr, rumble is there. But when i hit kerb during corner, inside or outside, i just feel one constant force. And it is there with low or high ffb %. With high % i feel strong constant force, at low % i feel weak constant force. I dont feel hitting any bumbs or kerbs. This corner is ofc extreme situation, but it happens on almost any high speed corner.

Ill try to keep tweaking, maybe i can find something. Its weird because i didnt have this problem back in GSE and i havent had problems with this wheel in any other games.

Edit: And i have noticed that this effect im feeling happens more strongly with lower steering rotation. Its not as bad with car that has 720° as it it with car that has 360°. If i up formula cars rotation from 360->450, wheel goes numb a bit later when turning. Not much, but a bit.

Edit2: More testing. Cant find solutions. Driving Aussie V8 is difficult, steering feels super bouncy. Cant feel under- or oversteers or lockups when turning. Its just like wheel is spring-loaded, trying to jump to center. Again, giving car more steering rotation gives bit more good area at center part of steering, but when cornering it goes "numb". I tried turning Spring and Damper on and off from TM control panel, no difference at all. Caterhams feel quite nice.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  20. Nypo

Nypo New Member

Hi guys,

I've just bought a OSW wheel (small mige + simucube + ioni pro hc).
    I want to have a 1:1 FFB
    What settings should I use in MMOs, Realfeel.ini and Automobilista ?
    Thanks