Automobilista on Linux

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by OMG!, Apr 15, 2017.

1. OMG!

OMG! New Member

Feel free to post and link here anything related to Automobilista on Linux ( / Mac) and also please "sign" if you are a Linux user.
    thanks!

Automobilista and Automobilista 2 work OOTB with Steam/proton

Check out Jugando en Linux | Comunidad de jugadores en Linux/SteamOS - jugandoenlinux.com

Also "new-lg4ff", a “much more complete” new driver for our Logitech steering wheels : linux_gaming

Thanks Reiza!
    thanks to leillo1975 for starting all this, thanks Bernat (berarma) for lg4ff
    berarma - Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old threads:

- To devs- Are planned a SteamOS / LInux port?
    - Server install AMS with steamcmd on linux

Automobilista on Linux using Wine:
    WineHQ - Automobilista
    WineHQ - Automobilista 1.3.5
    (btw thanks to leillo1975 for starting all this)

If you want your life to be easier with wine I recommend PlayOnLinux / PlayOnMac:
    Home - PlayOnLinux - Run your Windows applications on Linux easily!

-----------------------------------------
    also:
    Play Automobilista on Mac!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Hello
    I'm leillo1975 and I'm a Ubuntu 17.04 64bits user. I have a personal blog and write reviews and articles in Spanish about Linux/SteamOS Gaming in www.JugandoEnLinux.com.

I'm a fan of racing games like Grid Autosport, Gran Turismo saga, F1 20xx, Project Cars, Dirt Rally and about 2 weeks, Automobilista, of course.

I hate to reboot my computer to Window$ to execute some of my favorite games. It's less frequent that I have to do that, because most of my work and games can do in my operating system.

The reason why I want to play Automobilista natively on Linux is that there is not any real racing simulator in GNU-Linux/SteamOS.

I try to play with wine, and the emulation is good and fast enought to enjoy this game, but controllers don't have force feedback with this wrapper. There are problems also with HUD in game. For this reason, I think that this could have a native port.

I think that Reiza have an oportunity to open a breach in the racing simulation genre in the Linux/SteamOS platform ...guys, you could be the first one . Linux users are usually very collaborative and compresive with the software developers, and of course they would be very grateful. I offer me for send feedback, testing, impressions...

Some days ago, Reiza devs told me that they don't considering to give support at this time. I hope that in a future they can reconsider this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

4. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Like I write in other post, I found a game that have Force Feedback support with Wine. The game is Life For Speed and it works perfect and fast with the last version of Wine.
    Is obvious that the most of racing games have a compatibility problem with Wine in the FF comunication.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OMG!

OMG! New Member

Yes, all of the racing games that share the same engine like rfactor and automobilista has the same problem with wine.
    LFS and also the kartracing-pro are amazing games with great ffb that works with wine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Rfactor 2 demo also works perfect with wine, but it has the same problem with f. Feedback... Another great game that linuxers can't enjoy

7. Big_Mama

Big_Mama Ben Suttor AMS2 Club Member

The problem lies with the linux force feedback drivers however. Have a look at the logitech drivers:
    Supported Devices · Eliasvan/Linux-Force-Feedback Wiki · GitHub

Most wheels are NOT fully supported! Most wheels are missing the RAMP, PERIODIC, and CONDITION effects. Depending on how the ffb of a game is written, those wheels will not or only partially be able to have ffb. The only wheel that is fully suppoted is the G920 atm. So, at least in theory with that wheel the ffb should work fine with all titles, including rF and Automobilista.

(Btw: There is a way to show and log the ffb commands to the driver while driving. You can then see that most commands will get a "not supported" answer. With that method you can check whether wine works correctly or not)

8. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Why do I have Force Feedback support in Dirt Rally, Grid Autosport and F1 2015 (linux native games)?

I own a Driving Force GT

9. Big_Mama

Big_Mama Ben Suttor AMS2 Club Member

Well, there is ffb support for most wheels to some degree. As you can see there is AUTOCENTER and the CONSTANT effect that are supported. So, I guess Feral Interactive created the ffb using only those effects, but I don't know. But maybe you could ask the maintainer of the linux ffb driver (the page that I posted), I guess he knows more details. The problem is it is all very confusing and it's hard to find good information

• Like Like x 1
  10. SRoL

SRoL New Member

I know this is an old thread; however, I will purchase Automobilista when it runs on GNU/Linux/SteamOS (i.e., without the need for Wine). Currently, Feral Interactive seems to be capturing the $ of GNU/Linux sim racing enthusiasts.

11. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

I believe that this, unfortunately, will never happen. Let's hope they have this in mind in their next game

12. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Finally Automobilista works in Linux via Steam Play (Proton). It don't have Force Feedback support (another games like Project Cars with Steam Play works)

13. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Take a look on this:

14. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  15. OMG!

OMG! New Member

It's a pity that I didn't play anymore since this post. Now automobilista is almost another retro game.

16. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

You talk with a guy that loves RACE 07 and GT Legends

17. OMG!

OMG! New Member

Hey Leo, yes me too but I need something to play for 10 - 15 minutes while on a break. No time for too much settings or booting windows. So finally as you already know new-lg4ff is really great. AMS2 is my choice over AMS. It's a pitty that my oculus won't work on linux. We can dream that maybe some day... xD

18. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That would be such a waste of Reiza's limited resources to acquire ~20 new Linux users. You are not considering the impact of such effort would require from a business and resources availability perspective just to save a few bucks on Windows. Everything has been optimized for PC/Nvidia/AMD/VR/motion rigs, etc... Might as well port AMS 2 to Amigas or Commodore 64. History has proven the following, make the best software possible, and people will flock to it, regardless of the OS.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

It's your opinion, but most Linux users don't use it to save a few dollars, but because it really is more comfortable for them, better suits their needs and/or respects their ethical and privacy principles. Right now many aspects of what you're talking about are possible in Linux. A Linux computer is a PC Computer (don't say PC when you means Windows), Nvidia (and AMD) have a good driver support in Linux, VR works natively in Linux, Logitech and some Thrustmaster Wheels have Linux support....

Maybe Simracers should think that Linux is much more customizable, stable and secure than Windows, without mention its superior performance. When performance is lower, it's because you have to use compatibility layers (Wine/Proton) that slow it down. Native applications are supposed to be more efficient.

As a Linux user and gamer I at least ask that Reiza don't spoil the Wine/Proton compatibility, which at this moment is very good, with both AMS1 and AMS2

• Like Like x 3