How is the online experience at the moment? (public and private)

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Thomas91, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Thomas91

Thomas91 New Member

Hello there, i am considering getting this tittle as iv'e heard so much possitive stuff about it, but one of the key things for me is the online experience in terms of popularity and quality. are the public servers alot more popular than before? and is there a big crowd for the league side of things? would be great if you guys could let me know before i buy. thanks in advance.

2. Rodders

Rodders Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The public lobbies are still scarce but there is a range of leagues and organised events to join. THe quality of the racing when you get it is superb.

I do miss the casual drop in racing I used to get in Project Cars but still wouldn't go back to it for the world as AMS is so so much more satisfying and the quality of drivers you meet so much better.

My club RWB, tend to run 2 or 3 events a week and on any given night you can usually find a few of us on our servers doing some racing ;)

3. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

4. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Public racing sadly is basically non existant.
    But there are many racing clubs and leagues you can join and with VX bringing in league support i hope this will be the central place for all leagues so we get more activity there.

I have tried out SRS and it's working better than i ever imagined.
    They even manage to get some decent AC races at times, but AMS... not so much.

I don't know why people aren't racing online in AMS.
    I don't do because rarely any servers run AI and i'm not in for hotlapping alone.
    If more servers would host AI drivers, i'd accept the challenge and take on any car/track combination that's being thrown at me in hope of other people joining me.

Guess i will be doing all my AI races in my own online lobby from now on, maybe it starts a spark :)
    Will check out the documentation on the server .)

5. Auduns75

Auduns75 RWB Audi AMS2 Club Member

Hi xnorb
    Jump onto any of the RWB servers, you should be able to add as many AI as you want on those.

There will usually also be RWB members turning up to do some casual racing almost every night.

Mind you, most of the servers have multiple car classes, so you will get a mixed field of AI

6. Rodders

Rodders Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I've setup a few servers with single car classes so you can add AI without a mix of diff cars ending up on track. If they could change the dedi-server setup so you can have the choice of multiple cars but only add the types of AI you want that would solve the issue.

As far as I can tell there just isn't a large enough pool of players online to get the critical mass needed for a regular decent public lobby. Mods don't help either as every time I'm on our servers with a few other members running a mod, people try to join and get mis-matches.

We ran an open lobby last night with no mods - 9 members and we ended up with 15 players at one point. So it can happen but you have to get it just right and I don't think there will ever be 5 or 10 busy public lobbies until the player base expands significantly and/or there is a centralised mod management system integrated into the game that streamlines mods when you join lobbies.

In the meantime RWB will continue to try and run an open public lobby whenever we can and if you are getting mismatches feel free to jump on our Discord server and someone will help get you the right mods ;)

7. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

Hi Tomas91, as a community admin i can say that online experince is a bit fluctuating. I had days when i found our public servers full, and by full i mean people that can't join due to no enought slots (from 8-9pm to 12pm-01am CET), and some days when the servers are completely empty.
    Forget the destruction derby you can find on AC or PjC's public races, the Automobilista players are awesome, clean and respectful!
    My advice is: get it! Get it and keep update the most used mods, join the online community you want, or when you see a public server with 5-6 drivers, join it! People never join a empty server, but they start to join when someone is online, and the server can be filled in less than 10 minutes.
    I can't forget a day when me and other 4 drivers were in the public server to test cars+track for the championship, and in 15 minutes the server filled with 24 drivers. It was one of the best public race i ever done.