Is it possible to get better collision physics?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by vveyro, May 3, 2017.

1. vveyro

vveyro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

First of all, love the Sim and you have done a great job with it.

But the collisions with AI are pretty wonky. Cars glitch around sometimes, can be a bit distracting. Can this be solved sometimes in the future? Or is it engine limitation?

Purpose in racing is to avoid contact of course. But with certain car classes little door-to-door contact sometimes happen. Would be great to see this improved

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

I noticed that the collisions with AI are glitchy with some mods but work fine with stock contents, to which contents are you referring?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. vveyro

vveyro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmm might be mods. I use the tracks from the MegaPack, have to pay attention next time

4. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think hes talking about the wheel warping with open wheelers.

5. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hotlap Masochist

I agree. I've always hated the collision physics with ISIMotor stuff, and would welcome a better model with open arms.

I think the industry leader in collision physics is iRacing. It's hard to find specific videos of them, but I think this one sums it up. Stick around for the external cam. Good hard racing.

I'm not saying I want to drive like a twelve-year-old in a Forza public lobby and propel myself into all and sundry; it just breaks immersion when collision does happen, but instead of any realistic reaction you have your opponent vibrate ahead slightly. When you balls it up, it's cool (in a sim) to have a realistic crash instead of bouncing off everything like a brick. Again, gonna have to point to The Artist Formerly Known As Papyrus here.

Their open-wheel collision physics for Grand Prix Legends were pretty great too, you had to be careful not to tangle wheels with the AI or you would get thrown into the sun.

6. Angel Of Attack

Angel Of Attack Member

The thing bother me most is when two car have a gentle touch from side, the one who lead a little would get a magic push forward, separate them longitudinally, no wheel-to-wheel battle at all. That feel really awkward for Touring car racing.

7. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think @Marc Collins had a vid of this happening. Believe it or not ive seen this in Raceroom and rf2 as well. Although its not as frequent I think its an engine limitation.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Nope, not me.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

He meant me! Yes the "warping pass" as I called it is/was in AMS last time I played (last year) and was in RRE last time I played that (two weeks ago).