Just bought it...

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Neo-ST, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

I just looked your initial post, let me quote part of it
    Check what rotation in garage setup a car ypu are testing has? I am guessing you are turning it into a soft-lock "range", hence wheel wanting to turn left instead of following the drift.

2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

so maybe has too much angle? Good guess.

3. Msportdan

hhhmm I wonder if its the inertia thing that @Spin (spinelli) has talked about in the past with ISI motor sims. Its like a pendulum snap when trying to readjust slip angle or something./?!

Would You Recommend rfactor 2 ?

not sure how much of this still exists in AMS but just trying to help you.

EDIT: NOT SURE IT IS AT ALL>

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

It could be it, not sure :/
    However, this guy nailed the another apparent problem which I also noticed. He explained it well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You need to be very aware of what type of car you are driving and what sort of tires it has. You can't drift a modern race car (or, e.g., a go kart) with modern racing slicks. You can drift the old 60's stuff to your heart's content.

So before assuming that there is something fundamentally wrong with the physics, spend some time in the amazingly wide variety of vehicles AMS provides to compare handling. AMS is not a console racer with exaggerated drift physics--you have to learn how to drive the cars properly. I am not saying that AMS is perfect or that you can't drive, but there are no fundamental problems with the sim, only the way certain cars might be programmed. If I load up a car that can drift in real life, I can drift it in AMS. However, I also have to be able to use a clutch and shifter, etc., because most aspects of the real car are there also. One of the best cars for drifting should be the Camaro...but drat it has an automatic transmission and that auto tranny is not fully simulated. It does not replicate the way a real automatic works. (I don't think any sim on the market does, because who would go to the bother of programming all that when no race cars have ever used a street car style auto tranny?)

Could you list a couple of cars an maybe some specific track corners that you think should produce great drifting opportunities and let's see if we can do it.

I remember my first time driving (in real life) a Radical SR3. Incredible grip and such an "easy" car to drive by race car standards...so balanced. One slightly too aggressive throttle application coming out of a sharp curve had me flipped backwards (rear engine car) so fast, it was literally head-spinning. This was after successfully carving up the track and feeling like the car would do anything I wanted it to within reason. It had little to do with the car's physics or balance...I just hadn't acclimatized to the racing slicks, with their sudden drop-off of grip once you passed the limit. Had the SR3 been equipped with tires closer to a street car's, I would have never spun the car around like that because there would have been more than enough notice of loss of grip to slide (or drift) the car through that turn. Of course, I also would have been going much slower through every turn at the track and at much lower g-forces.

I tell than anecdote because most times when AMS (or rF2) catches me out and I immediately think "stupid car" or "bad simulation" and I then study the replay carefully, it's usually my mistake. That's also true a lot of the time the AI hit me or get in my way...but that's a completely different topic!

Have fun. You will be able to drift driftable cars once you get your wheel set-up. But I also regret to inform you that drifting will be a lot easier with a higher quality wheel. I used your wheel for many years and after graduating to a better one, there is no comparison in terms of controllability or realism.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

Thanks for the honest post.
    Maybe I should learn to switch to game mode in my head and not apply real life logic in a game. As you said, no matter how hard they try to replicate the reality, it will never be "it". And I probably need to learn the game better, but the point Spinelli made still stands ;)

Regarding my wheel, which one would you recommend over my current G25 ?
    I was looking at some Fanatec stuff, but that stuff is so expensive, it's easier to just buy a real track car than that :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Msportdan

couldn't recommend a t300 enough, if you have the dollar the pc racer wheel by thrustmaster seems to be good. My brother has a t150 Half gear and belts and that's a nice little wheel.

8. A Raser

A Raser New Member AMS2 Club Member

I switched from DFGT to the T300 and immediately, I could catch snap oversteer that I couldn't with the DFGT. HUGE improvement and so much smoother and much more quiet.

9. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Machwerk, of course.

Also, my favorite drifting is four wheel drifting that you will be able to do very easily on street tires once you learn how to balance a car through the turn.

Tandem 90 degree lock type stuff you're own your own ;)

10. Marc Collins

I earlier took an old 70's Opala out for a spin just to prove to myself that I wasn't being too hard on you. If you can't drift that thing through every corner (it will drift even when you don't want it to!!), then the problem is with your hardware or its configuration, because even a novice could drift this car. Sorry, I haven't used AMS with a Logi wheel, but others who have one can confirm what I am describing above. I'd be shocked if the G was so bad that you wouldn't experience the authentic handling of that car. (In fact, Renato, the head of Reiza, confirmed he uses a Logi G wheel himself for testing and calibration purposes.) Try it, please. No snap oversteer or any other issue other than crap quality tires leading to maximum drifting, just like the old touring car races from the 60's (HistoriX, GTL, etc.).

11. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

OK, so T300...
    I obviously need to buy it in a set with pedals, because with TM it looks like everything is separate. I will also need a shifter.

Altogether it comes at around €500:

[​IMG]

With G25 it all came in one package for almost half the price :(
    I've been watching some reviews of this shifter and it's a pain to switch from H-shifting to sequential. You literally need tools and time to do it.
    With G25 shifter, you just turn a switch. Just saying...
    I'm trying to find reasons to buy or not to buy this gear :D

Will try.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  12. Marc Collins

It took me a LONG time to be able to give up the convenient two-stage G shifter due to the lack of affordable alternatives. When it died (ahead of the wheel or pedals), the decision was made for me. I went with the Fanatec because under no circumstances would I pay so much for a shifter and then have the inconvenience to have to fiddle to switch it from one mode to the other. The Fanatec shifter probably weighs about the same as the whole G set. It is rock solid.

But yes, the cost of good quality sim equipment is higher than we would like. However, there are many more mid-range options than there used to be and USB means that you can mix and match pieces from different companies if you prefer. I just chose to buy mine one piece at a time as I could afford it. Luckily my G pedals could be used with the Fanatec wheel with a low-cost adapter, so I shed the wheel, pedals and shifter from the old trusty G in three steps.

I still have the pedals that work perfectly. If anyone is willing to pay the shipping, they can have them.

13. Msportdan

i got the shifter and I have the gte t300 - nice gt spec wheel!
    no games accurately simulate car clutch dynamics so I use the sequential mode
    you will be pleased!

14. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

15. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've got one of these and it's excellent, although I only use it for sequential shifting so can't comment on H Pattern usage but hear it's very good.
    They made improvements recently due to feedback so it may of improved further, as mines over a year old now and I'm loving it.

16. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

Nope. Price looks ok, but I'm skeptical of everything else.

17. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's a review of the SHH shifter for anyone who is interested. :)

• Informative Informative x 1