Should I Be Getting Better Performance?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Schlitty, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Schlitty

Schlitty Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Specs in signature.

I was wondering today if I should be getting better framerate performance in AMS. Its never ran perfect by any means but its also never been a bother enough to ask. I'm wondering if I've just gotten used to it over the course of a year though and it should be better. AMS is definitely in the bottom of the pile of game's performances on my PC while being the game I play most. So it would be nice to see a little more out of it.

In-game I run opponent, me, track on full because I wanna enjoy the pretty tracks and skins. 2x filtering. Shadows on medium. I got my FPS capped at 71 because back at launch I was getting tearing on vsync or uncapped.And then just standard 1080 resolution on a single screen. Outside, I put in all the recommend settings from the manual in Radeon Settings. And I of course try to limit the amount of other programs running while playing.

90% of the time I'm at my solid, smooth 71FPS no problem. But I've always had frames rate dips to as low as the 20's when the grid is bunched (race starts or otherwise) or near the pits in most tracks. Its never jerky or jarring but its obviously enough to be noticeable. I used to have slightly inferior equipment so I just chalked it up to that and 'got used to it'. But my system, while still nothing spectacular, really does exceed the recommend requirements plenty. And I know people run triple screens on worse as well.

I reset my Radeon Settings profile just for a quick test and the dips were still present but 'only' down to the 40's instead of 30's or 20's. But then of course I lost out on AA and had jaggy edges. SweetFX disabled didn't see a difference. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas of something simple I've overlooked? Am I just too big eyed expecting full details and just gotta stay 'used to it' if I wanna run it on those full details? Are people that get 100's of FPS just knocking down settings or am I not getting what I should be? Its perfectly fine if the answer is that I'm getting the performance I should be on full settings with my hardware. Just curious.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My specs are similar except I run a 4790k GTX970 16GB DDR3 Win 10, I have everything cranked up to max except shadows which are high, 8xMSAA on triple screens 3968x1200 resolution and I sometimes hit 180fps (uncapped) can vary from 80fps but never lower, this game is DX9 and is not taxing.

While your FX8320 is lower than the 4790k your GPU would be equal, so you have a problem there, you should be getting 150fps and not dipping below 100fps at 1080p.

The FX runs hot I would be looking at that, also what motherboard do you have that paired to?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schlitty

Yeah, cheaper parts cheaper performance with AMD. But kinda what I thought about performance in general though. My dips do seem way lower than they should be. Like I said, I'm sort of used to it at this point. But its weird loading something like DOOM up and playing on ultra with a consistent FPS after a session of AMS. :p

I got after market cooling and safe temps on the CPU.
    Mobo; ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (BIOS is up to date and all that).

4. RWB Charger

No worries with that board then, I had an FX8320 before I upgraded and I played Project Cars, I only saw about a 10fps increase by changing CPU's so I don't think that an issue, also the 380 is on par with a 970.

Have you tried verifying the files, also I turned shadow blur off as that gave me some funky results.

5. RWB Charger

Also try running HWMonitor and GPU-Z in the background and tick the log to file on GPU-Z, the monitor will tell you min max values and you can see if anything looks wrong.

6. Schlitty

I actually also got shadow blur off. On some tracks it made the shadows like delay popping in or something weird. I don't know. They just looked wrong.

Files' integrity should be good, its an issue I've always had for the life of the game through all the updates on both beta and retail versions (I keep both installed to keep one 'clean' and one modded to the gills).

I'll definitely do some monitoring/troubleshooting/testing now that it sounds like I should be getting a bit better FPS.

Only other thing I can think of asking on the top of my head is your setting on number of opponents? I of course want to see the whole grid and have the count high. But obviously that's probably gonna be a heavier hitter on performance.

7. RWB Charger

Opponents is on 30, I only do online and don't really need more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Schlitty

I played around a little bit last night. Main goal is to raise the value of the lowest frame dips. Moving my framerate cap from in-game to Radeon Settings helped a little for some reason. Then raising that cap from 71 to over 100 helped more too. Talking a pinch of frames here, but still 'something'.

Then I focused on the Radeon Settings because, like I had mentioned, I got better performance with those off (but lost AA). So there had to be something there to improve. Changing the AA method from the suggested supersampling to multisampling pretty much got rid of the performance hit cause by Radeon Settings.

My dips are to the 40s now. I may have seen 39 once. :p Already a significant improvement if its all I can manage. 40 is miles ahead of 20. Will turn my focus to in-game stuff next time I feel like reloading tracks over and over instead of actually racing.

9. RWB Charger

I wouldn't use the Radeon settings, just set 8xMSAA in the game config, I set my NVidia CP to allow game to adjust settings and just set the AA in game, I see no jaggies.

I know the recommended is to use NV inspector or AMD equivalent but in my opinion it's not needed.