To devs- Are planned a SteamOS / LInux port?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by leillo1975, Apr 11, 2017.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

I'm a racing games fan, and I own your game one week ago. I would like to play it in Linux, but you don't give Linux support to your game. I tried with Wine, but it has a problem with Force Feedback (don't work). In GNU/Linux we don't have a real racing simulator like yours, only arcade games like GRID Autosport. I think that the community can respond positively if you give Linux support to your awesome game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. OMG!

OMG! New Member

Yes, 100% agree with leillo1975.
    Anyway I'm running it on Linux Mint with Playonlinux and wine >= 2.4
    It's really great but no FFB with G27. I only have the default centering constant force if I turn off completely the FFB inside Automobilista's game menu.
    It's strange because some other games on wine like LFS and KRP have complete FFB but Automobilista and rFactor don't.

thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm afraid this isn't something we are considering at this time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

It's a pity, Your contribution to linux/SteamOS gaming could be very grateful. I hope that in a future you can reconsider your plans

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not viable for us right now I'm afraid.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. OMG!

OMG! New Member

Hello Alex.
    Could you please at least take a look about FFB with wine. Everyhting's perfect but that, but as you know FFB is important. I'm sure that fixing the FFB problem would create a big Linux/Automobilista community because now some other options as iRacing no longer supports Linux. (It supported it trough wine but stopped just a month ago as they no longer use directx 9 anymore)
    It has to be something with RealFeel plugin and the way it manages the signals from the wheel. I'm a programmer myself so send me a PM if you need any suggestions, testing or feedback from Linux and wine.

thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Topware-like wineporting solution is not the best solution, but the game runs aceptable with this wrapper. Full force feedback support to controllers with wine could be enough to get a good experience with GNU-linux/SteamOS. If you need testers I have no problem.

Topware is a german videogames developer that ports his games using wine to give support in Steam for Linux/SteamOS.

Steam Search

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Renoista

Renoista Member

It's understandable that small company can't devote time to port whole rf1 engine and game to new niche platforms.
    But as Automobilista already work great in Wine nothing costs You to just contact Codeweavers and see can you make a deal. They have right experience (iRacing, World of Tanks....) to make it official and support Automobilista on Mac and Linux.

• Like Like x 2
  9. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

they (codeweavers) would do that for free? nice

from my perspective: its kinda silly to ask reiza to make linux port, its such a small studio with super busy schedule (finishing ams and reiza17 kinda soon), and tight budget that theres simply no point in doing this. I know theres no point for me to ask you to get windows but it also works the other way around

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

As far as I know, I do not know why to talk to Codeweavers. I would talk to Topware to find out how they did the job. The only problem is the emulation of the force feedback

11. Renoista

Renoista Member

Topware is releasing they old classics for Linux/ Mac as a Wine wrappers and as far as I can see they are doing it seriously. Reiza if they find interest can take the same steps in house or as a easy way we can make one AMS wrapper for them :)
    But seriously, if You are going to support the platform it takes a lot more than just make Wine wrapper or publish Linux/Mac build from Unity / Unreal and call it a "native port" (which many do).

It all comes down to business opportunity as there are possibly thousands of potential new AMS buyers out there. And if You do it right way you get not only silent Mac buyers but, as can be seen from this thread, also supportive/ vocal/ loyal Linux community.
    I already run Automobilista on 6 years old Mac in Macos at 720p 4xaa, 8xaf, 60 fps with PS3 wireless joystick and it's very enjoyable experience.
    So can we just call Reiza to again seriously reconsider this opportunity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

I agree! Obviously is better a serious port than a wine port. But also is better a wine "port" than nothing. There are a lot of small studios that port his games to linux and mac despite they having low resources. I would even say more, the small and medium studios are more friendly to make them than the big ones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OMG!

OMG! New Member

Agree with everything you people said but FFB working under wine would be a really nice start and probably the easiest first step. I mean it would be practically a 100% working game.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Renoista

Renoista Member

First someone needs to open bug about ffb at WineHQ and if it's Wine problem it will be resolved. For free, as It's open source project but also more than 50% of Wine commits come from Codeweavers so they know Wine the best.

Secondly, those smaller studios often use Untity/ Unreal and I saw many times game working better with Wine than in so called "native ports".
    Or they, like CroTeam, have OpenGL engine that can be relatively easier ported to Mac/ Linux. But again it comes to how much commitment, testing and optimization you put in port relating to quality of the "port".

As rfactor is D3D engine it's unrealistic expectations that Reiza will have resources to rewrite it to OpenGL. And even than, it's questionable how much performance gains can that work get over what's already, we agreed, working and feels like "native" - Automobilista on Wine.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  15. FeltHat

Ams is in its final stages before work is done so they finally can commit 100% to reiza17. If u want linux version id rather hope for reiza17 one. There are many requested features that probably wont land in ams, i doubt linux port is even in top10

16. Renoista

Renoista Member

If they choose UE4 it would be no brainier.
    Feral just ported F1 2016 to Mac even if there is F1 2017 on the corner so there must be business sense for doing that.
    And AMS is still new game under active development.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FeltHat

huh, its upgraded and renamed 4 year old game (even ams alone is 1+year old), i wouldnt call it new and sure it is under active development but it will soon end and they will move on

18. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

I think that this question corresponds to answer it to reiza

19. FeltHat

what question? whats the meaning of ur sentence? (cant decipher it)

20. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Affirmation" .... Is it okay now? Sorry, English is not my native language. In spanish words can mean different