Regarding AMS and Reiza 17

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Marius H, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

okay so maybe i judged pats tracks on the spa version. I tried many cours, laguna seca and road atlanta with the classic last nite, They seemed really well done tracks.. So maybe spa is just the ugly duckling.?!

3. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Problem with the "it's in every bloody racing game" tracks is that Kunos, SMS and S3 are using laserscanned models and afaik Reiza is still not using this technology and therefore it's unavoidable that their tracks aren't as accurate as others and this has a high potential of firing back.
    Londrina?
    Heck, even if they released a version with completely wrong corners i wouldn't know.

All those unknown tracks (can't even pronounce most correctly) and foreign cars are what makes AMS so special for me. Instead of testdriving on Span i just visit Cascavel.

Of course if you are into F1 (and AMS offers lots of open wheelers) then i absolutely understand your desire for more F1 tracks. But as long as you don't want to recreate a whole season then there are enough tracks in AMS that qualify as F1 track even if F1 doesn't hold races there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Msportdan

I'm really convinced that laser scanned isn't a must in sim racing, yes its nice. But if it never comes to AMS i couldn't care either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You can build a great quality track without laser scanning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TDS

TDS ;-) AMS2 Club Member

i agree with almost everyone here.. but we can't argue that laser scan isn't the next major step for racing simulations. it just makes everything so much more immersive and the bumps acurracy is awesome, it adds so much for the simulation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It's no more immersive as all the bumps and accuracy can be modelled manually. If a known bump in the track is off by a few centimetres (in location or size), it makes no difference at the resolution of our sims.

It is a lot cheaper and faster, though, if you want that extreme level of detail. And it requires less creativity, because you just accept what's there, even if that is only representative of a single point in time snapshot. For example, if you scan a track right after it has been resurfaced, or in its worst state right before reconstruction, is that superior to a "blended average" approach of manually recreating a plausible, realistic surface?

If you take pics of a track right after they painted the curbs in preparation for a race, should you then make the track in the sim look like no car has ever driven on it, or, put the expected tire marks on the curbs and pavement so it look like a real place and like 99.9% of people will actually see it? It's not as simple as laser scan is better.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CCKaren

CCKaren Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think there will come a point where commissioning a laser scan of a track will get cheap enough though where it just becomes the standard. I'd expect at a certain point that laser scan data would become part of a licencing deal or just as part of a mod project to raise their profile, especially for lesser known tracks like Poznan in Poland have done.

9. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gongo

-

11. Msportdan

but I would rather have 2-3 more lovely modelled cars and a manual made track than one laser scanned track.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gongo

-

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. jo_siffert

jo_siffert New Member AMS2 Club Member

And not to forget a lovelly AI - you forget to complain about the AI in this post (sorry :-D)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1