1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one (Ring)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by paddler, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

End of the month.

2. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Man, in my mind that makes you some kind of savant. It took me bloody weeks to memorise all the main corner names in order using various printed maps! (And I still can't work out exactly where "Sprunghuegel" (?) is.)

I think one of the contributing factors to the zealotry of Nords fans is that once you've put in the hard yards of learning all the corners and their names... you want to let people know you have. Ever met a fighter pilot who didn't happen to let you know about it in 3 minutes of meeting?

The thing I'm excited about is how easy it will be to set up casual Touristfahrt online servers using AMS2, and just to hand over the hosting automatically when the original host has had enough.

The thing I'm wondering about is where Rieza is sourcing the map from? I noticed my Rf2 Nords just got a big update... Incidentally, I can usually do a full mental run through of all corner names on the track map in the time it takes my Rf2 Nords to load. Sure looking forward to/hoping for a faster load in AMS2.

3. Marius H

Nord is easy, yo :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think, it's a lot easier for germans, to remember parts and corners of the Nordschleife, like "Hatzenbach, Schwalbenschwanz, Brünnchen, Fuchsröhre, etc." :D
    It's even not easy to pronounce all the "german umlauts";) for foreign speakers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

I kind of sort of understand how to pronounce German words and names, but as a native English speaker, the words are just overwhelming. I do know Karussell :) Otherwise, it's my own names like, "the downhill one with a house near it," or "the sharp blind left-hander that I usually forget until it's too late and I lock up my brakes and blow my lap." Given the German language, there's probably a single compound word that says that second one perfectly.

For whatever reason, I struggle to associate corner names on any track, no matter the language. About the only one I can do well is Monza and that's because it has so few corners. Of course, I know the famous ones like Eau Rouge/Radillon or Maggotts/Becketts, but I just end up making up my own names as I drive the tracks and they become my "own." But what's really fun is when I actually learn a track pretty well and then learn a corner name and I can think, "Oh, that's the one where I usually mess up!"

• Like Like x 1
  6. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

I think that this is absolutely true. For me, even if I don't get the names down, I want to be able to consistently drive laps where I'm not surprised by the next corner so I can go into them with confidence.

7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Haha good point.
    The only thing I dont fully agree with is your 3 minutes.
    2 minutes - at most :p

8. Apex

Apex Active Member

Haha - I haven't put any effort into memorising the names of each and every corner, and I can't even name that many corners other than Flugplatz (a vertical corner of sorts?) and the carousel, and oh well.. Bergwerk indeed because that's where I've gone off track the most for some reason.

My approach at first was rather "They all say it's difficult, but it seems I need to go left here for starters, fair enough, and then.. oh my days, this will be interesting!"

Maybe I just find every part of it so distinct that it was easier for me to remember than, say Mugello or Willow Springs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I've been to the 24H race every year for the last.... five or six (not this year obviously), I've walked around the entire circuit multiple times... I still have no idea what half the corners are called.

English speakers may find this interesting though - translations of the corner names: Nürburgring bend names

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Marius H

I think being an Apsie is a godsend. Whenever I am racing on Nord. It's like: Oh corner coming up, then next corner is this, after that it's that.. before I know it I am already on the carrousel, and then on the mini-carrousel, at last I am on the long straight. Easy! It's the same feeling / thing when you can walk through De_Dust2 in your memories or any other gamemap or world.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Reciting Nordschleife corner names with feeling is like Wagnerian poetry. Alternatively, if you do it with confidence, in a fluid, conversational tone, it provides an extremely good basis for convincingly pretending to be an adept Deutsch speaker (to someone who has no actual clue of course).

And yes, being a bit Aspie does help! :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I first 'learned' the Nordschleife when Grand Prix Legends was new. Trying it again recently in AC the corners all went in the same direction as before and I could remember all of it. I guess once learned never forgotten. The names of the corners aren't important unless you want to bore people down at the pub about your exploits, but you'll soon start to recognise the corners in historic photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Philip Antonia

Philip Antonia New Member

I love driving "The Ring", but I don't think I'll be rushing to add it to AMS2 yet. I have it in several sims and AMS2 still has to be refined and improved enough before I invest anymore. I'm sure Reiza will produce an excellent version of it though!! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I get why there's an insane amount of love for the Nordschleife, but I'm more hyped about getting Spa-Francorchamps 1988 in AMS2, than I am the Ring.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I'm a casual racer and I love the ring, really excited for it. I personally love 'scenic' drives, I miss California Highway from PC2 for that reason, so perhaps that is why I like the ring. I think it's nature also leads to a different kind of racing, you seem to get far fewer dives into turn one, I think because everyone recognises that a 'good' consistent lap is more likely to get you higher up the grid than trying to blast through it.

I know that's not true of the guys who have it memorised, but for me, setting up a quick lobby, it is always good fun, epic, long and generally some really clean racing because those who don't know know it will often quite happily follow and try to eke out that little bit more pace behind those who know it better. Ironically, for such a long lap, it tends to be far less 'lonely' in my experience than other tracks, people will often even wait for the slower drivers if they know it well and you end up with a mini convoy =). I know that's not really 'racing' but still a lot of fun.

Just my 10 cents but I can understand why some people aren't huge fans.

17. Marius H

In 2040 we will be driving satellite maps with our virtual cars in our rigs with VR smashed onto our head. We already have MSFS 2020 which is an pinnacle in gaming. Real life holidays/traveling going to be a past-time thing. I wanna race the Irish roads so badly. Hope I am still alive by then. I am 52 in 2040.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Helleno

Helleno Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah... Track days, lot of people, different cars, just chill testing machines in VR... Can't wait. For race? Endurance only, maybe. For a track day after a hard day at work? A must. :)

A track that I LOVE to hotlap and dont like to race at all? Mônaco. Another must in any sim at my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  19. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is a great point. In VR it will be amazing.