1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Wheel community?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1-Dave, Oct 23, 2020.

1. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Had a few years off,
    This game was not even out last time i took the wheel,
    Where's the best place for open wheel racing community these days?
    Thanks

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Me and @Prophet and several others are trying to grow a discord channel purely for setting up league races around open wheel classes. We just completed a 7 race season in the Formula Classic Gen 3, and I think we're spinning up to start a league with the Formula V10 Gen 1. We'd love to have anyone and everyone interested join. Only requirement is that you race cleanly and fairly. You can be as slow as you like!

Join the Champions League Discord Server!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Koala63

Koala63 Member

As the slowest participant in the inaugural Champions League season, I'd like to strongly encourage other non-alien drivers with a good attitude to have a crack. Seems to me that there are too many virtual racers who are only prepared to participate online for as long as they feel they are in with a chance of winning.

Also seems that many potential online racers, particularly older guys like myself, stay away from online racing because its seen as the exclusive domain of either Aliens or angry kiddies.

Who wants to race just to get there arse handed to them on a plate? Me. Its about racing and improving, not about winning.

I get so demoralized when, as an online race progresses, the back field and mid-field slowly disconnect and the field of participant steadily shrinks. It impoverishes the whole experience. If the slower drivers hung in there for the race duration, instead of bailing after their first spin or after falling behind P5, then all the rest of us slower drivers would have a meaningful race all the way to the finish. Plus it gives the Aliens a realistic challenge in surviving the lapped car lottery.

A great race for me is where a full field starts with all racers committed to going the full distance, and all racers have a sportsmanlike approach which ensures that you can enjoy the whole race. A good dice with a worthy opponent for 6th or 10th place in the last lap of a race can be much more exciting and fun than winning against inferior competition.

Come on all you online newbies and fellow Captain Slows... trust me, you don't need to be an alien to enjoy online racing. You just need a good sense of sportsmanship and a not-too-fragile ego (its a difficult business you know).

Just to finish a race with fast drivers without being lapped and without crashing... that's a massive win for me. And completing my first online race season over a few months yielded greater improvements in my lap times and race-craft that a year's worth of offline practice.

And lastly and most importantly, both the Champions League organisers and the resident speed demons are a top lot. Gentlemen and Sportsmen all.

Look forward to seeing some new "faces" next Champions League season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Yeah this behaviour is patetic. But probably symptomatic for drivers who overestimate their own driving capability. To keep their lousy self-esteem intact they rather disconnect than realising their proper position in the virtual drivers hierarchy.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Eventhough iRacing isnt my cup of tea (because of TM) then they have nailed the best way of partly solving this issue. Because if you disconnect in an official race you loose a lot of rating points.
    So most people does stay on track to the bitter end :p