1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. BrassYeti

BrassYeti New Member

I do have the weather slots defined in both sections. I copy and pasted it and I still get the same error. Am I dense?

Default:
    upload_2020-10-27_22-54-39.png

Rotation
    upload_2020-10-27_22-54-57.png [

Error
    upload_2020-10-27_22-56-47.png

2. pfoetiman76

pfoetiman76 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I think there is a a “s“ to much. Not “PracticeWeatherSlots1“ : “Clear“ but ”PracticeWeatherSlot“ : “Clear“ The Race Weather is correct but in Practice and Qualify you wrote a “s” to much.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. BrassYeti

BrassYeti New Member

DOH. Thank you!!!

4. Rudolph523

Rudolph523 Member

i have tried to setup a dedi server, but altough it runs i cant find it. i have tried it in the past and then i somehow got in it but my brother not, i find it really annoying working with all the commands and stuff just to get a server up and running, hopefully people can help me getting things working right so that i can find it and my brother too.

5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If it's just for the two of you to run together I'd really advise against using the dedi at all. The game client can use steam networking to get through firewalls but that's not possible with the dedi.

In order for the dedi to show publicly you will need to set up port forwarding on your router/firewall for the three ports listed in the server.cfg (8766, 27015, 27016 by default). These ports also need to be unique per instance and cannot be in use by other apps or services on the machine.

If you set the server up to be game controlled you will need launch the game with -selectds switch and create a new multiplayer game as normal. After setting up the game the client will search for servers to use as relay and you should find yours listed there.

If you set it for allow empty join and server controlled with or without rotate it should appear in the browser even when empty so long as the ports are open and steam communication is working.

That's really all just generic high level guidance and if you have those bases covered please attach your server.cfg and lua_config/sms_rotate_config.json and I can give more direct and specific advice

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudolph523

Rudolph523 Member

thanks for the reply,
    okay i understand you dont recommend using dedi if i just race with my brother, but i dont like the ingame system. if i want to make changes to the session length or something i have to leave the server, make the changes, also again type in the lobby name and password and then launch the server again, thats the reason i wanted to use the dedi server, but what i find in the server file and what you say i find that just a pain in the ass, not that you can do anything about it, but i personally think it shouldnt be so much hassle. also if i can stay away from portforwarding i stay away from that.

i have attached the files you asked for, i hope to get to the point i can use the dedi server in a way i can join when empty through the server list, if i have that done i will think about the ports, but do i NEED to open the ports or is it possible my router already does it? i have little to no experience with portforwarding. me and my brother race with ai btw. does my brother also need to open ports btw?

Me and my brother like to do several races on a evening and i would like to be more different with the session lenght, race times etc. and i wanted to use the dedi server so that we can stay in the lobby and i can still make changes, that way it is faster and less hassle because of not having to make an new lobby everytime you want to change a session length etc. there are just a few games doing that right in my mind, mainly f1 and forza from my experience. i atleast hope you can help maybe getting me set up to do it with dedi server, or i just need to use the ingame servers.

Attached Files:

7. moneypizzle

moneypizzle Member

Anybody know what changed in the new server update? And or if there are other settings?

8. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

if there is no special announcement, normally only the new tracks and cars where added.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dann Murillo

Dann Murillo tinyurl.com/osrdiscord AMS2 Club Member

Hey @Wolfgang Herold, is there a better way to host multiple AMS2 servers other than copying the dedi files to a new folder? I have several setup like this but wasn't sure if I can run it all out of the same install?

upload_2020-11-1_20-0-21.png

10. RWB FxUK

RWB FxUK Member AMS2 Club Member

Create a seperate config for each, within the Dedi folder
    Server1.cfg, Server2.cfg etc
    Change names, Query/Host port and httpApiPort within each config.

Launch via bat file (all at once if you like) i.e

Launch.bat:
    start "" "DedicatedServerCmd.exe" -c Server1.cfg
    start "" "DedicatedServerCmd.exe" -c Server2.cfg

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dann Murillo

Perfect! I have everything setup separately already. I think the only thing I need to do now is copy & rename the sms_rotate_config files to the main install accordingly (sms_rotate1, sms_rotate2, etc) then launch the servers as you detailed. THANK YOU! :)

12. Wolfgang Herold

serverx.cfg as start parameter works. If it works too with lua i don't know. Haven't tried that.

13. Dave Stephenson

Your config looks fine I also gave it a quick run just for completeness with no issues.

You will need to do port forwarding for the machine that hosts the dedi application. Users connecting to the dedicated server will not need to make any additional changes as they are making outbound connections and typically these are allowed by default router configurations (YMMV if you happen to be behind a corporate firewall)

Your ISP, if they provided the hardware, or your routers manual should have the info you need for forwarding ports. It's a little daunting at first but a fairly straight forward operation once you have a grasp of it.

I agree and there is underlying support for changing all session parameters here too though it's not yet exposed in UI. It certainly will be going forward but I can't yet give a fixed timeline for when that will be. Getting knee deep in the dedi should not need to be a thing for most users imo and even for those that do having the option to tweak on the client side is still big win.

It's not automatic but there are server.cfg entries for both the lua config and lua output dirs

14. Wolfgang Herold

yep. But what i can read, lua in server.cfg just points to folders, not files. So its maybe counterproductive, as you have to multiple the lua folders several times inside that one ds-folder.
    e.g. i think if SMS stats writes to same file for all DS's, it could be a mess for simresults.net scoring.

15. Dann Murillo

Thanks much guys, worked like a charm! Now all of my servers run from the same install - as they should have from the start. haha

upload_2020-11-2_7-22-58.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dann Murillo

I believe the method of creating the lua_configX folder for each server cures this issue, right Wolf?
    upload_2020-11-2_9-48-30.png

Is there a better way to separate that file out though? Like if we are running as a league server and wanting to capture the "race weekend" Practice, Qualy, Race results. I have only thought to reduce the history length and hide the results unneeded on simresults. Kind of a pain but it does work.

upload_2020-11-2_9-50-51.png

17. Wolfgang Herold

i once had it on an external server and copied it with timestamp extension to an online folder for public acces. Deleted the stats after every copy and so i had 24h files. But also big ;)

For trackdays a system similar to stracker for AC would be great.
    Or a flag to not delete lobby lap times even when users left the server.

18. Rudolph523

Rudolph523 Member

Thanks for the reply, i am happy the server.cfg was okay. So if i want to use dedi servers i just need to go portforwarding then, i hope the options will eventually come to the game but because nobody knows when i think i will try to get the pot forwardimg working so i can set up my dedi server. do i need to make tweaks to be able to let the server run empty so i can easily join it? And if so what needs tweaking?

19. Dave Stephenson

@Rudolph523

No tweaks needed. With allowEmptyJoin and controlGameSetup both true as long as the rest of the config is valid it will show in the lobby for joining even when empty.

20. Rudolph523

Rudolph523 Member

Okay thanks, i will try it soon

• Like Like x 1