1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.0.5.0 RELEASED - Now Updated to v1.0.5.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 31, 2020.

1. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Am I the only one that loves VR in AMS2? I get motion sickness in rF2 and I've tried so long to figure out how to deal with it, but I can drive in AMS2 for ages.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. J93653017

J93653017 New Member

* We recommend using damping in game vs on wheel setting. Damping in game scales with vehicle, so roughly same level for all cars. On wheel / driver damping doesn't scale with wheel gain, so if you have gain too low, damping will overwhelm FFB signal.

This is something I have never understood.

Do some settings in the control panel (i.e. Damper) affect FFB in the game even if a developer doesn't implement it in their game?

If I set Damper to 100% in the control panel and 100% in the game, would this mean I'm now getting 200% damping?

[​IMG]

3. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

No,you should set damper and spring to 0%. (off )It is the controlled by the in-game damping only!
    Spring is a effect from the wheel,you can put it as you like,i prefer 0-5%.Not uesed by the game FFB.
    The Damping you do in the in-game settings.I prefer0-20%.
    I have a TS-PC,but the driver is the same.Try gain50-60 LFB45 FX50Damping0.
    Auto Center in driver profil set to Auto by the game!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

I love the new cars, they feel great!

5. J93653017

J93653017 New Member

The default setting for the TM Control Panel is 100% Damper. If I set Damper to 0% in the control panel could I potential lose Damper effects in other games? I don't understand why some games require 0% in the control panel and others 100% in control panel. Surely I should be able to set everything to 100% in the control panel and the game then utilises Damper or it doesn't. How does AMS2 implement it's own Damper if the control panel has damper set to 0%? And what effect does Damper give anyway?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I love it too. AMS2 is my favorite sim for VR partly thanks to the camera. The sometimes harsh ride adds immersion for me. But I feel privileged, because I never get sick in VR. So I always assume that's why I get to praise it while some others don't enjoy it.

7. kagurazakayukari

kagurazakayukari Member

Actually in most of the racing SIMs, Spring and Damping are calculate and output already included in FFB (gain), which means Spring and Damping (serttings in the wheel control panel) will let the wheel itself recalculating and superposing the FFB based on the game output(no such output because game doesn't support API) that already included them.

8. Big_Mama

Big_Mama Ben Suttor AMS2 Club Member

Which ones do you need? I don‘t think there are Ams2 specific templates available right now, but you can use Ams1 templates for the same cars

9. Simon Chapman

Simon Chapman New Member AMS2 Club Member

Great job on the FFB changes Reiza, feels absolutely superb now IMO!

Tend to agree with what some others have said though that GT3 cars feel a little too safe ATM, but I'm sure these will get some adjustments over the next week or two.

10. benvelor

benvelor Member

F1 classic Gen3
    I read that "will be released with the last update"
    maybe i'm wrong..:oops:

11. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

12. Lgars

Lgars New Member

Thank you for this update which adds even more spice to this great game

13. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for a very large and meaningful update, appreciate all the devs' hard work and all of the tireless feedback helping shape it.

FFB: Absolutely ****ing sublime, no other way to put it. All the mid wheel slop is gone, and the cars truly feel connected to the road and communicate tyre behaviour fantastically. I've run through all of my fave cars and every one of them has benefited enormously. There's also a few cars I'd given up on (eg Lotus 23) that have a new lease of life with the firmer steering

Nuerburgring: Tip top. Easily holds its own against its competitors in other sims visually, and runs beautifully smoothly.

GT3: These look, drive, and feel exactly like I'd hoped AMS2 GT3's would. The Macca is a lovely neutral handling mid engine beast, the AMG is a great handling front engined brute, and the 911 drives just like I'd hoped an AMS2 Porsche would drive (and also sounds absolutely savage, great job on the sounds).

GT4: A bit more of a mixed bag. The 570 Macca is generally a bit of fun, but seems a bit bouncy and unplanted, very easy to lose the back. The Cayman is, as everyone has noted, just way too bouncy to enjoy. The surprise package is the Camaro GT4, which is just enormous fun and eminently driveable, considering what an absolute dog the road version is in this game.

Cup Porsches: I've tried to see past the bouncing, and once that's fixed I'll think they'll end up being a lot of fun. I don't know if they're death traps in real life but they certainly are in other sims, and I may not be singing from the required hymn book but I prefer the AMS2 gentler implementation.

AI: Very mixed bag. The horrible immersion breaking weaving and twitching is largely gone. However they're now very hard work to drive against, and not in a good way. As others have noted, once they've committed to a particular line (particularly on corner entry) god help you if you're in the way. Previous iterations were too cautious, this iteration is too gung ho and really not terribly enjoyable at the moment. There's a happy medium waiting to be discovered.

It really feels like the enormous potential of AMS2 is starting to be realised. I'd like to take the time to thank the devs for their continued hard work, persistence, dedication and patience in the face of some truly delusional overentitled bull**** floating around on various forums.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

135.png
    Just leave damper on 100%, if it is the signal channel, because AMS2 doesn't utilize it. (I recently read, that some TM wheels add permanent spring and maybe also damper is permanently there, when using the spring and damper setting in the driver, though.)
    EDIT: So if TM really applies permanent (game independent) damper and spring effects with the driver sliders, it should be at 0% of course.

The text about the wheel own damping always tickles a bit my nerves, because, i knew, this confusion would've been arised. :D

With the wheel own damping (permanent game independent damping, what definetly should be off for AMS1 and 2 IMO) is something meant like the negative Drift setting or the Natural Damper in Fanatec wheels or specific permanent profiles, something like the Accuforce wheels provide etc..

15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Lemme test at Dri 0/off instead of Dri -2 I am using for all my sims. Fanatec recommends most of the time -2 or -1. And then fiddle with the ingame damper setting.

Recent Discussions under Racing Simulation games right side. pick some games and they will recommended -2 or -1 most of time.

Edit: They recently added a 380 driver for Fanatec as release candidate. Gonna test it after my nap or tomorrow. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

Fanatec always recommends some negative drift setting because they fear users to eperience too much oscillation. I drive quite some games differently to their recommendations. They recommend way too low FEI (Force effect intensity, basically lowering FFB accelerations for peaky signals, to cure the loud "clack" sounds and sometimes feel of lose stones in the FFB) too start with, to get all the tiny FFB details in AMS1 and 2 for example...the recommendations are maybe a baseline to have "something", but they are everything else, than "good" in my objectively totally right and humble opinion. :D

Back then, their firmware even had motor own damping always somewhat active and Dri positive settings were accelerated wheel movement to overcome it, while "off" was the default motor damping. (CSW2 and CSL Elite old). With CSW 2.5 and CSL Elite + "off" means actually motor damping "off".
    This motor own damping is there for killing ingame FFB oscillations, not for driving feel.
    Fanatec

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dady Cairo

@CrimsonEminence
    The Devs said Damping 0 in TM profile,now that is wrong?
    You don't have a Thrustmaster wheel,as i see so for DD wheels damping should be useful.
    I tested it with Damping 0 and damping 100 and it is another world with 0 in driver profil.
    And maybe,maybe 10-20% in game.

18. CrimsonEminence

Does Thrustmaster apply permanent damping to the wheel, when you apply Damping setting in the Thrustmaster driver? (So also, when no game is running)

EDIT: Yes i have no Thrustmaster wheel, might be different with their approach, that's why i ask. Normally Damper and Spring are signal channels and don't receive anything from AMS2. But if it adds permanent effects to the wheel, then it should be off, of course.
    That's why i wrote "if it's a signal channel".

Yes, damping for DD wheels sometimes even is absolutely necessary to not kill your hands by oscillations. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dady Cairo

You mean as standard settings?
    Standard is PIC#1
    My settings PIC#2 1.JPG 2.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks mate. Great link as well. Gonna try it after my nap. :cool: