1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one get the TC/ABS to work?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Nov 1, 2020.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i usually drive cars that dont even have tc/abs, so i havent really noticed it being "off" all the time, but with the latest addition of the gt3/4's i tried a rain race against the AI and noticed the constant lockup of the tires under minimal braking and had massive wheelspin on turn exit

so i started to play around with the setup settings, first just slightly adjusting the tc and abs values according to the description, but since i didnt notice any changes i set the values to the min value.
    which ended up locking up and spinning tires again. i tried the opposite (maximum) and still nothing would happen.

i have my gameplay settings on authentic and both allow abs/tc are grey'd out, so i cant change anything there

2. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

when the setting is on authentic then it works.
    do you add a key/button to change ABS/TC?
    there are then only 3 settings off/low/high (and not like 10 or 12 steps like in ACC etc).

3. MasterLooser

i have non of these on a key, doesnt it just work by me setting the values in the setup?
    i dont really have much more buttons on my wheel to change anything else

4. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

You can adjust in car setup screen when in pits or bring up the in-car menu and adjust through that. i really wish they added a TC/ABS key bind though...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

i got ABS/TC and brake balance on my button box.
    so many buttons that are needed that i cant only do it with the wheel buttons.

6. psone

psone Guest

hmm so i'm a bit confused myself now, because in game you can assign a key for traction control. In the Porsche GT3 this will cycle through 3 states. Off/Low/High fair enough, I honestly didn't notice much difference switching from one to the other.

But I was having a look through the setup pages and noticed the following tooltip. Which is the exact opposite of how I would expect this to function, I can't test right now unfortunately, but if someone else has a chance would be cool to know how it behaves in game.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

Intuitively i would have assumed that a TC setting of 20% would equal very little interference, thus allowing for more slip.

But reading this, it seems it's exactly the other way around? So 20% TC means it's almost maxed, allowing just very little slip?

8. psone

psone Guest

That is what I would of thought too, but seemingly this value represents % of slip allowed by TC. Regardless in the Porsche I don't think its having any effect. I've tried values of 1 and 100 with TC set to off or high and the car behaves the same. Owh and this was in the rain on hard slicks.

9. psone

psone Guest

just came across this explanation of how TC works' makes a bit more sense now. :)

10. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh New Member

So ABS is the same I guess?

11. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

TC % setting controls the point at which TC kicks in. Lowering this will allow less slip before activating, ie smaller % will activate TC earlier (wet setup for example). Low/High controls the strength of TC one it kicks in. Low means a less intrusive TC which will allow a more tire slip then High setting.
    Weirdly, ABS % works in opposite way. The higher the % the earlier the ABS will activate - it never made sense to me to have TC and ABS working in opposite way.
    There's a good video on PCars2 website explaining TC and ABS

Edit: ACC simulates TC and ABS as in real life on GT3's and GT4's. It is much better. It also has real, car specific engine maps not 100/95/90% throttle limit which is way too simplistic. I hope one day we'll have that in AMS2 but I doubt it. It would be a major game overhaul and given the number of cars in AM2 a hell of a lot of work.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Another question, if electronic help is set to "OFF" in settings, do then cars' TC and / or ABS have any effect?
    I don't hope so, I'd like to drive without any help with every car.

13. ruztytoaster

ruztytoaster New Member

is it me but even with tc off you cant provoke any of gt3 cars into a spin? always feels like tc is on ?

14. BartZ

If TC / ABS is off (as opposed to low or high) the % setting has no effect

15. BartZ

GT4's TC can be adjusted in 10% intervals, that is 1%, 11%, 21% etc. This looks like a bug, right?

16. BartZ

I have no problem spinning in GT3 :D Even with mild TC on. I see a massive deference in TC off though.
    BTW, all GT3's and 4's have TC and ABS in real life and drivers use it. Have a look at a video on driver aids in ACC - search for "Aris Drives". The explanation is very good. Obviously AMS2 does not have the settings as IRL.

17. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

To my mind, this is where AMS2 (or the Madness engine) is a bit confusing. In other games like rF2, you have game aids for people who drive with game pads or keyboards (or who just need them!), and you have car aids which are the ones the real car would have, and these are completely independent. So, a server would typically only allow auto-clutch (as many people only have two pedals) and disallow all else (things like TC and ABS). However, this does not mean that they are off for cars that actually have ABS and/or TC. And for all I know, the implementation may vary from car to car if the game simulates them well, and have all the settings the real car would have (unlikely to be percentages!), whereas the game will have its own generic way of implementing these (one that works for all cars, even ones without TC and/or ABS), and would typically have coarse settings like "Low", "Medium" and "High" ("Authentic" would be game TC/ABS off and car TC/ABS on, but only for cars having these aids). Perhaps the Madness engine requires some picking apart by Reiza to get it working in a more authentic manner?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

Yeah, i tried to force the Mercedes into oversteer but even with TC=off it's pretty much impossible.
    I also could not manage to make the wheels lock, even with no abs and slamming the brakes at 250Km/h.

Not sure if this is somehow related to other settings regarding driving aids under the general settings. Maybe it's a bug.

19. MasterLooser

ye thats really confusing to me too with the authentic setting, aspecially cuz u dont even know what the multiplayer server settings are, the public lobby hosts seem all to like a more need for speed settings style, most pub servers have fuel usage and tire wear off, some even go as far as driving out of the pitlane for you, which makes me wonder if i am playing a simulation or gran tourismo lol

i dont even understand why this auto pitlane is even in the game tbh.

20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

This is a general problem for all cars(I have tried) in AMS2.
    And as I recall this was also a problem in pCars2.
    Hehe and in Raceroom:p
    To the contrary of RL there seems in AMS2 allways to be some ABS activated even in formula cars that never came near some ABS tech in RL.
    If you as example in the F-Reiza or F-V10 G1 drive in a straight line at as example 200km/h and slams the brakes completely the wheels does only begin screaking (brake spin) when the speed get under about 100km/h.
    Try that in a RL formula car:rolleyes: