1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camaro SS is broken

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Freeway, Aug 4, 2020.

1. traind

traind Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Marc, your insights into AMS2 development a couple of posts above were both keen and helpful. I do think the sim has a few fundamentals that are holding it back from the handling feel and dynamics being at the best in class sim level. Perhaps the issues you highlighted will be the right ones to raise the AMS2 bar a bit higher.

At the same time, you are coming across as a bit of a snob relative to the Camaro SS. No one is saying it compares to a single seater for goodness sake! But for the price, it's probably quite a good track day performer if you care for it appropriately and don't go banzai lap after lap. If you spend just a bit more you can have the 1LE version and it does quite well against more expensive cars:
    Car and Driver, Lightning Lap, Same day lap times 4.1 mile VIR 2016
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 2:54.0
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE 2:54.8
    2017 Audi R8 V-10 Plus 2:56.1
    2016 BMW M2 3:01.9

Elephant indeed!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Freeway

Freeway Member

Yes. I disagree with almost all of it.

When I grew up, we used rather derogatory terms to describe Motor Trend.

Be that as it may, in stark contrast, please find Car and Driver's take (from their LONG term review cited previously in this thread):

Once again, we paid the tab on a couple of oil changes that should have fallen to Chevy’s Complete Care program and replaced a pair of worn rear tires. Yet the Camaro didn’t throw a single mechanical fault—not one—on its way to 40,000 miles.

VIEW PHOTOS
    [​IMG]

GREG PAJO, ALEX CONLEY , MICHAEL SIMARI
    And, with only one exception, it matched or bettered every major performance milestone it achieved in its initial test when we reevaluated it to wrap this story. At 40,597 miles, its zero-to-60 time (4.0 seconds) and quarter-mile time (12.3 seconds at 118 mph) remained identical to what we measured at 3949 miles, 13 months earlier. Plus, its roadholding improved from 0.98 g in its first test to 1.01 g’s at the end—using the same front tires it had in the earlier trial. Braking from 70 mph was identical at 149 feet. It also averaged 20 mpg during the course of its stay, 1 mpg better than the EPA’s combined rating.

To me, that sounds like a completely different car than what Motor Trend described.

Now, I don't wanna bash on Motor Trend. They could have gotten a lemon. But, the fact remains that the figures, quoted by Car and Driver after 40.000 miles of experience with the 2016 Camaro SS, are track worthy in every respect. I should also note that AMS2 started with the 2016 Camaro SS body style before swapping to the newer (and more controversial) body style.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I was only referring to the descriptions of the handling of the car in that MT review (which I don't see any above in the quotes from the C&D review). Generally, I wouldn't trust any of the US-based commercial car magazines for much at all. But there is sometimes some useful depictions and descriptions.

And, I am not a snob at all. I just know how to distinguish elephants from race cars. I drive a high-powered elephant myself, and I have driven a few real race cars, which is why I know how limited these vehicles are for actual race track use (beyond setting lap times). The truth is that a very modest actual race car will outperform not just a Camaro SS, but exotic cars costing many multiples of it. The two are not meant to be compared. One is a road car and the other is a race car. You don't expect a race car to be at home on the road any more than you expect a road car to be at home on the track. Sure, each can go on either surface/territory, but they are only designed for one of them. AMS 2 is a racing simulator the last time I checked...

Lastly, I was not aware the old body style Camaro was ever in AMS 2. It is in AMS (1), but I have been using AMS 2 since alpha and have only seen the current body style Camaro in it.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you have driven the Camaro, we can find in AMS2?

EDIT: Wasn't the front section of the AMS2 Camaro different, when the car was first to find in the game?

5. Freeway

Freeway Member

AMS1 used the 2010-2015 model (gen 5 Camaro). AMS2 began with the 2016-2017 model (gen 6 Camaro) and then, without any explanation, changed to the 2019-2020 model (still gen 6 Camaro but with different styling) (with the controversial manta ray looking front fascia).

Meantime, I am curious what Elephant you drive that you think is comparable to a gen 6 Camaro SS? Perhaps you could also list the published specs for weight, horsepower, torque, lateral Gs, quarter mile, and braking distances on your car so we can compare them directly.

6. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 New Member

Wish we could mod the settings ourselves like in ams1. I would be able to spot immediately what is wrong with the car if i could have a look at the numbers myself as i have been doing for other sim racing games for the past decade with good results. Feeling restricted and a bit foolish complaining of the cars faulty handling and not being able to look into the numbers yourself like for example camber, tire parameters, weight, inertia, spring rate, spring length , dampers etc. Some people actually enjoy a sim more if they can get their hands fully on these parameters but i understand the future of sim racing isn't like that(may have a lot to do with marketing and making a profit and also the fact that modding can make or break a game). Nobody wants 10000 versions of the same car from mediocre modders who changed a few things and released again. For those that can't accept that will just have to revert back to the older sims that provided that or make their own game.

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Tried the camaro with the latest uodate yesterday and god bless you Reiza its finally driveable and enjoyable altogether.didnt touch setup all on defaut including FFB

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, it's better now.
    At least it's not trying to kill you in straight line. Never found anything in the changelog about it so I stayed far from it, but something has been definitely adjusted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes absolutely can flat out in 2nd gear on a straight without the car taking you off track

but even oversteer became somehow controllable as long as you dont do silly things. Will try the ultima later to see if tha one is better as well

10. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh this is fanastic news, i wonder if its to do with the fact there are more production road cars on the way, so they've decided to concerntrate on getting those up to scratch.. Either way, its all good news!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Just tried the ultima and happy to report same positive results. Really happy how the game has progressed overall, if they could fix the bumpy camera with open wheelers that would be perfect

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Avoletta1977

Umh, no, can't see relevant improvements on the Ultima...

13. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Camaro SS is more controllable (and much more enjoyable) than before. It suits old Kyalami just fine. It's still a little vague in its handling but it's heartening to see Reiza improve the car so much. I had a number of fantastic side-by-side corners with AI that actually drove better than the average human. :whistle::)

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I would swear the AI have better tires than we do, though ;)

It is a nice improvement. Mostly diff-related as I don't detect any other changes, but tires were likely also updated when several others were getting worked on.

Ultima street is now better also, but it is such a wild car that it will never feel like the Camaro. Not sure if it still needs some tweaking. It is so ludicrously overpowered, that it is like a modern-day version of the AC Cobra. Only for the bravest of souls to even attempt to drive it or race it at high speeds.

15. Avoletta1977

I can accept 'wildness' but it's also sluggish and unstable in straight line with dive-train and tires apparently missing any inertia.
    In AMS1 it was problematic but here the problems have gone too far...

16. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Ultima seems realistic:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's what I said.:) They nailed the physics

Pictures of the real Cars

18. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

If the devs want to increase the realism of the Camaro, they need to program it to break down every five minutes. GM street vehicles have been almost universally garbage for the past 25 years. Sure, they're fast when they actually run, but keeping them running is no small affair.

I had an '89 Firebird whose previous owners abused it, skimped on routine maintenance, and got it involved in two minor accidents. During my time owning it, the only problem it ever gave me was some blown fuses—a cheap and easy fix. They don't make them like that anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

That's because GM mainly caters to the pickup truck and large SUV market's these days. I've owned many GM trucks over the years and they have served us very well under very demanding heavy-duty towing conditions. The profit margin difference (on trucks vs. cars) is quite significant.

I'll have to give the Camaro (AMS2) a try soon based on recent reports. ;)

20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

LOL you should try a Corvette Z06... ;)
    On track it's going to kick a$$ to way more expensive rides... Interior quality though.... :eek: