1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

When you encounter severe clipping, you'll notice loss of detail and the wheel just feels heavy and springy. Use the clipping meter where you can but, you can also test for normal detail levels by reducing the Gain in most cases. Then you'll have an idea (baseline) of what level of detail to expect when all is working properly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. psone

psone Guest

The clipping meter is bit mysterious to be honest, I was asking about this last night, wasn't sure what the different channels were supposed to represent.

Anyway as far as I understand now, the first 5 bars on the left represent 20% slices of the total available FFB signal before it begins to clip. Using these you should be able to figure out how much headroom you have.

The 6th bar should show when the signal is clipping by filling with red, the more red the further you've gone past 100%, as far as I can tell this bar is not working. With all ffb settings maxed I could not get that 6th bar to trigger at all (CSL elite)

However for me the signal line to the right of the histogram is also supposed to show clipping i.e whenever the signal bumps up against the upper limit of its bounding box you're clipping, this seems to be working as intended. Sweeping high speed corners are a great way to test this. Generally you can expect to clip in extreme cases, but what you don't want is to clip under normal racing/at the limit. So yeah the tool is helpful quite confusing because the two don't match up.

The other thing I've noticed is that FX is either doing something different now than was first outlined at the start of this thread by Renato or it has no effect at all. I need to drive more to check this properly, but my understanding was that FX would introduce the sensation of the engine ticking over and that this would be most noticeable when the car is at idle. What I found was that regardless of setting 1-100 this effect is not present on my wheel at all. Has it been removed in favour of scrub and slip. Maybe a refreshed post on the state of FFB as it is currently and what to expect from each of the different settings now would be a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robbb74

Robbb74 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have also noticed this on my T300RS after the last 0.5 update. Before, I used the custom FFB file of Karsten and with that, I could feel the wheel getting lighter when understeer kicked in. Now I cannot feel that anymore, not with the default and not with the custom FFB-settings.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

I am using NuScorpii v2.5. I tried new Default but it's not as immersive (T500rs).

Here's what's really weird though. Take Turn 3 at Brands Hatch (Graham Hill Bend). The left front wheel goes over the inside curb - the first half of which is quite rough, yet there is zero registering of this impact on the wheel. Absolutely nothing. I tried it in the P2 class as well, in case the suspension type was affecting FFB, and again nothing. Yet, I run out on to the right-side curb on exit and I get the rumble in the wheel.

Why is it that some large curbs (which IRL you avoid or just nibble) produce no FFB and no influence on the car (the wheel and chassis just lift up accordingly but the balance is not upset) and other curbs that are not as raised or harsh deliver significant FFB? Is it a low force setting?

It feels to me a bit like EQ in a sound mix. The low-frequency is being filtered out. :(

5. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Logitech G920
    The new default profile (post update 1.0.5.0 or 1.5.0.1) is definitely a step forward, the center is fuller and the braking feels better, but overall it still remains a bit asleep and above all the rolling of the wheels and its effects remaining a little rubbery and wobbly, but not informative ... the direction seems right but still missing a lot before being consistent and informative ... I think they still need a couple of updates if all goes well.

Also, in my case, with the Logitech G920, the new setting under the heading "damping" is practically not usable, because there is no need for damping ... the parameter instead I think is very useful for the DD steering wheels.

So, for me the best remains the last "Silver Raw 6.6.5.9.9.9.9.9 - Momentum Rack 4.4" of 02 November 2020, which among other things, in this revision, has also improved the braking ... I was not happy with the LowEnd version, however, with the MidLevel version I had a great time ... the values of the FFB for me have remained almost unchanged compared to the previous ones, that is:
    Gain: 80-90
    LFB 10-20
    FX 70-85
    Damping 0
    (Logitech HUB - default 900° and default sensitive setting 50-50-50)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robbb74

So, you mean you updated your fantastic custom file, just because me, being a simracing-novice, made a comment in here? That is absolutely fantastic. I will try this new file immediately after work!

Thanks in advance!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just tried version 6.6.5.9.9.9.9.9.1, and went back to my modified version of 6.6.5.9.9.9.9.9, as I just didn't get the same feeling. Strange as there doesn't seem to be much difference. Did not notice the understeer either, not that that is a big issue, as you can feel the slipping through the scrub, which can be a bit excessive at times. I will change a few values in version 6.6.5.9.9.9.9.9.1, incl scrub scale, and try again later. Thanks for your ongoing efforts.

• Like Like x 4
  10. iam7foot1

iam7foot1 New Member

Does anyone have wheel settings for a DD1 for this FFB file?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  11. Robbb74

@Karsten Hvidberg
    The new 9.9.9.1 file brings back the feeling of the wheel getting lighter when losing grip because of understeer. It is more subtle then in previous files, but very much appreciated.
    This is for me the one thing that is missing in the default ffb, so for now I will stick with the custom ffb.
    It also depends on the car you are driving, how much the effect is noticable. The new McLaren gt3 lacks the understeer feeling, the Ultima GTR has got it a little and the Opala 1986 stockcar makes you notice this lightness the most of these 3 cars.

Altough maybe someone else may have very different experience with this same file.. I am very happy with it!

T300RS 70/0/40/10

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Can anyone explain what this line on the custom file do? acc_dec_feel
    I changed it to 0.9 and i loved the feel, but cant explain what changed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@NuScorpii: Hey mate, will you be looking at your old Heavy Messing files again? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say your presense in this project is sorely missed! :)

I'm a complete Philistine with all of this stuff, so it would be great to get confirmation that the old files still work as intended or to get an update to work with the new FFB model (post v1.5). I read comments in this thread about a new 'brake effect' force. Is this something that needs adding / changing?

Hope you don't mind me reaching out to you!!! :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Misino

Misino New Member

I have downloaded the file 6.6.5.9.9.9.9.9.1 and inside there are high, medium and low. Which one should I choose? My steering wheel is the thrustmaster tmx pro. I'm new to this and my English is bad, it's hard for me to understand. What parameters must be set. Thank you.

15. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Start maybe with the medium....extract the ffbcustom file to your Documents/Automobilista 2 folder then choose custom in the Controls/Force feedback in the game.
    Start with the in game gain slider at around 60. Then test with a car/track you know.

16. Clippy2020

Clippy2020 New Member

AMS2 is my fun/experimental game, I league race on F1 2020. I notice when I quickly play AMS2 that I find settings that I am happy with - only to come back the next day and thinking "what the heck".
    I tried your latest ffb file, and I definitely feel that the understeer effect is working. Great. I use the middle ffb file, with a t300rs. The problem I face is that it seems to calculate forces very differently from the default. The formula ultimate has insanely strong ffb compared to other cars. This means it's impossible to configure the ffb for all cars. Is there a per car force multiier option?​

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

The per-car FFB feature has been requested by users / acknowledged by Reiza. IIRC, they are looking at adding it at some point but, there have not been any development updates to my knowledge.

18. Clippy2020

Clippy2020 New Member

Reverted back to Default ffb. It is unfortunately the best compromise.
    Otherwise the cars vary so wildly, and I just want one setting for everything.
    T300 RS
    Control Panel all 100%
    In Game:
    Gain: 80
    Low FFB boost: 50
    FX: 0
    Damping: 3

19. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Clippy2020 Give this file a try. It's a car specific file I created this for the Formula Reiza based off of @Karsten Hvidberg Silver Raw series for my T300 RS. All of my wheel and in-game settings are in the notes file that's included (settings are also included in the file name, minus the "Damping" as that wasn't available then). I just gave it a try with Damping set a 50 and it still feel great.

Also check the notes file for recommended ways to tune the file to your liking as well. I'm not too sure how well this will work on the Formula Ultimate, but you can certainly give it a try.

I've got a post with more T300 car specific files in this thread too. A single file for six of them is on post #1005 (page 51). I'm just seeing your latest post. You will want to revert your TM driver settings to Default to get the right feel that I've dialed these in for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  20. Clippy2020

Clippy2020 New Member

Thanks man.
    I actually took an old file, NuScorpii v2.2, and used the following settings:
    85 gain
    30 lfb
    15 fx
    5 damping

EDIT
    35 lfb
    0 damping

current WR Time Trial on montreal (canada) w/ formula ultimate, no setup

Im getting quite a good feel across all cars, and understeer feel is back, which is very nice for heavy F1 2020 user.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020