1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 formula cars unable to lockup brakes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BrunoB, Nov 5, 2020.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Just checked out if the AMS2 brake issue/bug of not being able to lock up the brakes is dependent of downforce based grip.
    And guess what?
    It is not.:rolleyes:
    Its only based on the speed of the car.:whistle:

I tested it in the F-V10 G1 on the Spielberg starting straight.
    Full acceleration to about 320km/h and then flooring the brakes just at the little grey thing to the right just before the 1st righthand corner.
    1st test with max downforce/wings.
    2nd test with min(0) downforce/wings.

And in both test the car reached about 320km/h when I floored the brake pedal.
    The car slowed somewhat down - but without even the tiniest lockup or tire scream until the speed got under 100-120km/h.

Hehe and to people saying this is realistic in modern formula cars then Ill ask - OK so it shouldnt change a thing when we minimise the downforce based grip?
    Come On :rolleyes:

ByTheWay: With 100% brake force/pressure ofcourse:D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

b4 brakes work, you have to heat them up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nosports

nosports New Member

I have the same Problem with Fanatec Clubsport V3. Never Lockup on any car.
    I deleted all configs and tried over again. Nothing.
    But in other sims the pedals are working well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BrunoB

This is just a new goofy excuse - formerly I was presented with the excuse that " everybody knows" that all downforce strong formula cars in RL cannot lockup the brakes as long as the downforce is strong.
    Hehe therefore my test with wings (and therefore downforce) at minimum.:whistle:

ByTheWay: Maybe I should make a test with both minimum downforce and maximum hardness of tires. But I guess I allready know the outcome:p

5. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

yes master you're so cute :p
    BTW: BS

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Stanj2

Stanj2 New Member

Even with minimum wing F1 cars still generate a large amount of downforce at speed. The angle of the wings is only part of the downforce. the grip in braking always diminishes as speed diminishes and needs modulation of the pedal.

7. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Something must be wrong in your or mine setup because it is easy to lock the brakes in formula cars

20201105193005_1.jpg 20201105193150_1.jpg 20201105193336_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrunoB

Just to show how ridiculous the warming up brakes "excuse" is then my test was made in the LB mode - where most people know that tires and brakes are "preheated" to optimum temps :p

@SaxOhare
    What speed is it? - because as I say in my post I can also make a lot of white smoke at speed below 100-120km/h.
    Try it with about 250-300km/h :D

9. SaxOhare

all this i start braking on a speed around 300 km/h the brakes/tires give away at 250-270 km/h,
    probably need some time to build grip?

(it is also easy not to lock up the brakes)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  10. Stanj2

Stanj2 New Member

A modern F1 car generates downforce from the overall aerodynamic design of the car. every part of the design, wings, underbody tray, diffuser, overall body shape has an effect and adds to the maximum attainable downforce at the expense of overall drag. These cars can generate close to 5G's of deceleration under braking from top speed. I have never witnessed one locking the brakes at the beginning of the braking zone from 300 + KMH. However at the end of the zone when speed and downforce has dropped significantly (100-120KMH) lockups become quite common and are the true measure of the drivers finesse and skill to keep the wheels turning and control turn in without flat spotting the tires. Wing angle is only variable within a small range and even at minimum generates considerable downforce at high speed along with considerable drag which is always the trade off on any circuit. If drag wasn't the issue no one would ever lower the wing angle and run max wing all the time but the available horsepower is always limited. The most powerful car can run the most wing all else being equal.

11. BrunoB

Just to show my good will I tried to recalibrate my pedals.
    1st I tried to undercalibrate the brake by only pressing it to 86 when the menu asked to fully press.
    In game the only difference was that the pedal stroke became shorter - the car still couldnt lockup at speed more than 100-120km/h.
    2nd I tried to undercalibrate the brake slightly less by only pressing it to 94 - same result.
    Hehe so I know exactly what I think about advices like "its in your own end".:p

ByTheWay: The next advice will probably be that you need to completely reinstall Windows and then reinstall AMS2 again - or maybe this issue/bug needs a complete new PC to go away.:confused:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. BrunoB

OK fair enough.
    But I have
    Mostly when drivers in panic floors the brake because of an accident in front of them.:cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. BrunoB

If you by this mean that the tires begin to lock up (brake spin) at 250-270 km/h then I would be a happy camper. Because that would be pretty realistic.
    But as I have said a lot of times above this is not possible in AMS2.;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. 250swb

250swb Active Member

The first part of 'flooring the brake pedal' is taken up with heating the brakes up and down force forcing the wheels to keep turning. As speed comes off and down force comes off and the heat builds so the brakes are working at optimum temperatures so they grab more, and you then get lockups if you don't modulate. Abuse the brakes beyond their optimum temperature and the opposite happens, they don't stop you efficiently and don't lock up. So you work out if you are abusing the brakes so they don't work properly by making them too hot, or aren't modulating the brake pedal pressure as you decelerate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you imagine the safety issue a 320km lock up would cause? A criticism based on this being unrealistic is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. SaxOhare

That's what i mean, not only possible, it happens

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelreserv

On TT mode the tracks are rubbered in as well.

18. BrunoB

And so what?
    In races in RL I the tracks are also rubbered in after some laps - so...
    Your excuses for this bug are both laughable and waste of time.:rolleyes:
    Most other posters here does at least try to use reasonable arguments.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. BrunoB

Reasonable argument - but my example from Spielberg shows that this allready happens in LB mode( preheated optimum temps) allready on the end of the first long straight where its impossible to have abused anything;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. steelreserv

Your theory, your testing parameters and ultimately that you wrote this post thinking its informative is laughable.

1. you don't have the experience to claim what you think is realistic (neither does anyone else).
    2. no F1 simulator of note allows lock ups at max speed
    3. although we have a brake pressure setting, we don't know what that physical max brake pressure is in the game, so this is just a programming choice, deal with it
    4.you can lock up F1 cars easily as the car slows as proven in actual screenshots that everyone can see
    5. you didn't think to change the brake bias or make any spring or damper adjustments to change the loads on the tires, which is what you should do if you are serious about taking cars to the grip limits
    6.people responding to this "cry for attention" post are collectively trying to work through the grip factors under braking collectively, which track state is definitely one of them, so the thread is not necessarily "all about you"
    7. just because the default brakes are within the grip tolerance of the tires so that the wheels don't slip as YOU think they should does not mean its a bug
    8. you are a textbook example of the dunning kruger effect. if thats the reputation you want to build for yourself, fine.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1