1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche suspension still broken?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BartZ, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

Im using one...
    Wheel start to go left/ right and so on until you lose the car.
    The fancy new ffb is complete BS in my opinion.

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@Jens E.

Fanatec DD's are bugged at the moment. They can do jolts if you have opened a certain telemetry-window or so. See their forum for advice.

3. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

I don't use a Fanatec but Simucube 2 and especially on Kyalami this bug could induced pretty strong jolts on some corners.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Sounds more like oscillation rather than jolts. What are your in game and on wheel settings?

5. AngryGinger

AngryGinger New Member

I could be wrong, but I think the bouncing has to do with the tire model. It's prominent in cars with light front ends, like the Porsches. It seems to happen when the tires are at their limit in a turn. It feels like the tires stick-slip-stick-slip, like it's stuttering across he tarmac, which causes the jolts in the wheel. I've felt the same thing in other cars, just less noticeable because they have more weight keeping the suspension compressed. Messing with the ARB and rebound damping seems to help, but I think it needs to be fixed in tire model or car physics.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, we've seen this tendency in other cars throughout development. DD-wheels seem more affected by it.

Increasing LFB or Damping significantly can reduce the oscillation tendencies but, come at the cost of finer detail / some lower-level ffb dynamics.

7. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree. This is not something passe to say, but PC2's physics, telemetry data and setup options are great. The FFB killed that game.

I expected more variable setup option in AMS2 but when I looked at telemetry its quite limited as to what you can do to tune out the bumpiness for the porsche. (The merc suffers from too soft dampers as well, but its not as noticeable.) Somewhat disappointing but you can do some things and make it livable. The feel of the cars is great though.

The bumpiness down the straight comes from the springs bouncing over track undulations but not having enough damping to slow the springs down. The stiffer the spring the more it can absorb and keep the tires on the tarmac, but also the stronger the "bounceback" effect. The fronts hit a bump, which makes the front jump up, which makes the rears compress, then the rears bounce back to the fronts and this process continues until the dampers can slow all the springs down. By default, the dampers cannot handle this with the porsche very well. (This also creates lateral bounciness around corners too, like the "skipping" you might feel.) Soften the springs and increase the fast damping until its better. (a softer spring makes the "bounceback" force less severe and into a range that is more manageable for the dampers to slow, because the force is not as strong.)

I'm heavy into the setup world unfortunately, but I can see the argument that the defaults should be good all-rounders. I just hope I can help people find the game as enjoyable as I do by simply learning a bit and adding a couple of clicks here and there.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 5
  8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

All around or just in front?

9. steelreserv

Generally, all around. However, keep in mind, softer springs will effect how the car handles under braking (pitching forward) , acceleration (pitching backward) and in the corners (rolling to one side or the other) and can lead to changes in OS &US while cornering. but at least it will solve some of the bouncing along a straight (and traction while accelerating, which is important).

If you start to experience problems with OS or US in corners, there you would use ARBs and the slow dampers.

10. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd love to try your advice but unfortunately most of the suspension settings aren't reacting to mouseclicks in the advanced setup screen.

11. steelreserv

I test at Spielberg and I have my base setup saved on the LB there. Feel free to try it. It is race stable.
    Make sure to increase preload to 100 and coast ramp to 70 as I made some adjustments after.

12. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Next time that happens, click somewhere else in the adv menu screen that will change then go back to your chosen parameter ...it should move.

13. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks mate, I'm aware of that quirk in the advanced setup menu, it seems there's an issue with the Cup and GT4 Porsches as none of the following can be adjusted even though the button presses are registered:

• Spring Rate
    • Bump Stop
    • Slow Bump
    • Slow Rebounr
    • Fast Bump
    • Fast Rebound
    The GT3 Porsche can be adjusted OK

Actually the setup screen is pretty borked for all the GT4 cars, check out the Macca 570
    upload_2020-11-7_20-17-25.png

Attached Files:

14. steelreserv

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, ive been referring to the GT3 only. None of the GT4s have suspensions that are adjustable in this way. That includes the Ginetta as well If I recall.

15. steelreserv

Tires don’t usually bounce when they slip but they are part of the spring in the suspension dynamics for sure. So if the dampers arent handling the load properly, tires can compound the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

im not using a fanatec base.
    its a Argon System with a Lenze servo drive.
    still running like a charm since +4 years.
    when i let the wheel go osscilation starts like crazy. thats "normal"
    ingame im using 30% gain and now 50% damping (ingame setting)
    but after testing some cars (and make a new controller profile) i can say its car based.
    some are ok and some are having this problem (Porsche...)

17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I get why one would want to use only the in-game damping but, in your case, I think you may be able to retain much of that while establishing a baseline setup using Wheel-damping (MMOS?) to control oscillation.

18. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

nahhh... i had this too in AC, its fine.
    you only need to remember not to remove the hands from the wheel and its fine.
    (i dont want to damp the FFB to death)

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. steelreserv

20. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

This morning I tried M1 Procar @ Curvelo Long(great track) but the car bumped (and felt it in my G923) way too much imho. Also in the replays. Ultima Street more or less the same. Caterham 620R not so much, but still.

Is it really about the lighter front end(no engine weight) which does that, I read on this page??

But it doesn't feel and doesn't look realistic. Sorry.

Cheers
    Robin