1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car auto move in 1st gear

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Navik, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Navik

Navik New Member

Not sure if anyone ever faced the same issue, but every car is auto moving off whenever I go into 1st gear, then when i upshift into 2nd it speeds up by a couple of km/hr more.

It's like there's some throttle input. But I've checked and recalibrated my pedals a few times and there definitely isn't any. I don't get the same issue in any other sims too. If I clutch in the car will slowly slow down and come to a stop eventually.

Using CSW2.5 and HE Pro pedals. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 250swb

250swb Active Member

You've never driven a real car have you. If you can get the car into gear (without stalling the engine) the idle speed of the engine will move it forward even if you don't have your foot on the throttle. If you press the clutch in the engine will be disconnected from the drivetrain and the car will come to a halt, unless you are on a hill in which case you hurtle to your death or alternatively you can apply the brake.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Navik

Navik New Member

Does your real world car runs at 20 to 30km/hr without throttle input at idle speed?

4. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

It really depends on the idle rpm of the engine. As race cars usually have higher idle rpm, I guess it should be possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Navik

Navik New Member

Fair enough. I guess back to the original question. Do you guys encounter the same issue in AMS2? I personally have never encounter it in any other Sims, e.g. AC, ACC, RF2 etc. But if this is how AMS2 models it and everyone has the same issue then it's not a bug and I have nothing to worry about.

6. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

This is entirely possible. I once had a lawnmower that you had to run after before you even touched the throttle. This is all down to fueling, gearing and idle speeds. As an example set the idle speed on a car to less than 500 rpm it will probably stall. Set it to 1000 or more and it will likely happily pull away and the speed will depend on the gearing. Some (most?) cars will stall unless you add throttle and/or are smooth and slow on the clutch but what you are describing doesn't sound that weird to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

It is normal. Same as in pCars2. Lowering the engine braking (more open throttle when idle) also made the car run at higher speeds whilst idle.

8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hahaha.
    Great analogy:p
    But I think the idle thing is correct.
    But before I read this thread this "crawling car" issue irritated me a lot.
    But it is probably pretty realistic because everybody who have been in as example a F1 pit will hear that the idle RPMs are pretty high.
    And often sounds pretty "asthmatic".:rolleyes:
    A highly tuned racing engine dont like normal road car idle RPMs.:)

9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

just a thought
    Does you hud show any throttle input ?
    try going 2 clicks up on throttle deadzone to see if any different

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sabbath

Sabbath New Member

Depends on the revs of the car, for example, in summer my car would stall in first gear when letting the clutch out and not applying any throttle, but in winter when the automatic choke is on, the revs are higher so the car will move forward while slowly letting the clutch out without applying any throttle.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  11. Navik

Navik New Member

Nope absolutely 0 inputs. Have adjusted the deadzone too and no difference. Funny thing is I've asked around and there are just as many guys who do not have this "crawling car" issue, which was why I'm perplexed by this whole thing, is it normal or not. Does make driving a bit troublesome, as there are some slow corners where you want the car to go slower than the 30km/h, but the moment you let go of the brakes the car speeds up without any input.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if it's applicable, but when it happens, are you on a slight downhill slope? What if you try it at a point where there's a slight uphill slope?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Strange then, I only suggested deadzone, as after I had pedal problems myself I have to run deadzone at 13-14 and then increase sensitivity to then get 100% throttle. Otherwise throttle would not allow revs to drop to correct idle and a hint of green would show in hud to indicate its not shut off. I know your pedals are of much better quality, sry I cant help.
    Maybe a short video clip would help others see the symptoms?
    Good luck as yes shutting off properly is essential for the slow corners as you say.

Edit: have you had this since day 1 of install or was it as it should be and has now become a problem. Long shot I think I would verify files and delete docs folder recalibrate. if still there then reinstall game. most things will allow motion at idle revs irl as mentioned by others, but not 30kph, walking pace ish yes. race cars more with higher idle

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  14. BrunoB

What what?
    I just intuitively thought this was equal for all!:eek:

ByTheWay: Could this have something to do (be the cause) of my problem from day one in AMS2 - that its impossible for me to block the wheels fully (brake spin) if the car moves at speed above 100-120km/h? I mean if AMS2 wheels allways have some mandatory rotation then...

15. BrunoB

Good idea.
    If I stop the car before the uphill slope at the end of the starting straight of the Austrian track (cant remember name) then even in 7G without throttle the car slowly crawls up the hill:rolleyes:

16. BrunoB

No the idle thing is not the cause.
    I just tested this on Spielberg :D with a throttle deadzone of 50.
    The car still crawled forward with about 30km/h even without throttle input.
    And the car can still not brake 100% (block wheels) as long as the car movement is more than the scripted brake allow boundary of 100-120km/h.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: My critique is still that in such cars as the F-Reiza and F-V10-G1 Reiza has included some completely unrealistic but mandatory ABS.:rolleyes:

17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If the car is SEQ it will go forward in first gear. Just like a normal automatic car in real life. It's H-Pattern it will stall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I driven only a Smart whit auto, but, in 35 years of driving manual shift car...(and truck)
    if you put de first and release the clutch, the car start moving.., is notable in little motors, like 800, 800, 1200, but same in 3.000 cc diesel van...
    i broke the thottle cable in a Ford transit one day, i drove home whit the first :D

19. Navik

Navik New Member

Thanks guys for the responses! I'm just gonna assume that this "crawling car" issue is the norm in AMS2, and have no idea why some guys don't get it. But at least it's one less thing to mess with my head :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Can't remember which GT4 it was, but noticed today that the car didn't stall even when stopped and in gear. I am sure the real cars have some anti-stall technology that AMS 2 may be simulating, but I still don't think we should be able to do that. Anyone know for sure for these cars?

Also, any manual car will stall if you do not utilize clutch when shifting into 1st gear and moving away from a stop with the engine running. Sequential versus h-pattern is irrelevant. In fact, most race cars with a sequential require a lot of revs at launch--much more than a h-pattern road car or even h-pattern race car that can be coaxed away from a stop with very little throttle if one is gentle. We have no automatic transmissions simulated in AMS 2.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020