1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage formulas drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jonathan Spencer, May 3, 2020.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Thank you for this hint @Damian - Im allways looking for ways to up my positions on TT LBs :p
    Gonna check out if this exploit is also possible for my favorite the F-Reiza.;)

ByTheWay: Conserning the TT LBs I consider it a fault (or at least pretty goofy) in AMS2 that the tire temp (and the resulting GRIP!) does change from as example lap 1 to lap 5.
    In all other sims where you have a similiar TT LB (iRacing/Raceroom) the tires are constantly kept on the optimal temp from lap to lap - probably because this is the most fair method to give all drivers equal preconditions. And to make it impossible to unfair exploit in a way like @Damian does describe above.:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

• Like Like x 4
  3. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tested the Brabham a bit today. Hard to say without trying one of the pre existing F Vintage cars but I hope they are improved as the Brabham feels nicer. FFB still prone to oscillation which I imagine will be a lot worse/more noticeable at a modern circuit. Feels a lot more natural when entering corners though which is great :)

I tried nudging all the barriers out the way at Silverstone for some authentic 60's laps. Can recommend.

Don't think I'll be repeating this line lap after lap :eek:

@Damian Baldi how do you get a template for cars in AMS2? I've made hundreds of skins in AC but not familiar with AMS. I assume from your pack we can't edit the car previews?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Damian Baldi

I never made skins for AMS1, started with the Vintage cars now. I took a template from AMS1 and scaled it to 4086 pixels, removed some layers and tried to do the best.

Current template is not very friendly, because the cuts are just in the place where most of the decals must be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andy-R

Ah okay, thank you for the info!

6. Andy-R

I made a little Silverstone comparison. 4 years apart and not that well synced but...

• Like Like x 5
  7. Damian Baldi

Lotus and Brabham Setup

Well, suddenly we have two new gorgeous cars to drive and to setup. Both cars handle really different, or better said, with the default setup they feel very different, and both cars have reactions on opposite extremes.

While the Lotus is very stable and don't want to turn in so easy, the Brabham is the opposite. With a very narrow front track the car is more unstable and nervous.

To try to make both cars more similar to drive I'm changing these things on the setup:

First some changes I use in both cars:
    - less rear roll bar, 8, 12 or 16 instead 20.
    - clutched differential, with preload 40, power 45 or 50, coast 45 or 50 and viscous 100
    - tires with 1.20 bars

Then, for the Lotus:
    - it looks like the front reachs the end of the suspension travel, so I increase right height from 75 to 80
    - increase rear rebound if needed

And for the Brabham:
    - as the front is so narrow, I use front roll bar at 24 instead 20, to try to stabilize the car.
    - reduce rear rebound to 2800 or 3000

With those few changes cars a bit closer in their handling, but they still feels different, and that's great.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 250swb

250swb Active Member

For the BT26 I've gone for a similar diff setup as Damian in the post above, and I'm using 8 clutches. For the front roll bar it's 24 and reduced the rear roll bar down to 4, raised the ride height 5mm all around, and softened the springs a bit. My logic for this is in a race you need to ride the curbs sometimes when you wouldn't normally choose to and the supple suspension and gentle diff allows the car to ride the curbs far better than a stiff setup. Without riding the curbs I'm finding the car has some understeer but can drift smoothly in the corners without snapping, but on tight circuits I'd increase the rear bar to 8. It's not an exciting setup, but I like to work up to a faster setup rather than work down from an uncontrollable one (i.e. how I find the default setup)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Damian Baldi

• Like Like x 4
  10. Koala63

Koala63 Member

What is no the opinion on all the changes in the last update? Eg.diff settings, tires and brakes.

11. Damian Baldi

To be honest, last changes didn't help. There is a slight difference in handling when you push the throttle, but that's all. Brakes seem the same. Changes on tyres made the cars even worse when tires are hot and with pressure.

I lost my hopes that Reiza finally fix these issues on the Vintage and Retros cars after months bringind information. Everytime I (and others) give feedback and data, there are more people attacking the proves than trying to solve the problems. It looks like devs don't read this thread, so, I think this wont change. It's time to move on.

12. Lukas Ranicar

Lukas Ranicar New Member

Bit dramatic.

13. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

It is kind of frustrating the three cars I was most excited about, the F-Retro and F-Vintage, all of which have issues.

14. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Looking at the bright side once solved on one of them also the others will be ok...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dale Ballweg

Dale Ballweg Member

I think we're all waiting for this to be fixed, it obviously isn't an easy fix but do hope it will be addressed and fixed. By far and away my favorite cars in the game, so much potential fun coming our way when it does get fixed.

16. InfernalVortex

Guys these things are driving beautifully right now. Im thrilled with them. Take em for a few laps around the Nordschleife. Cant wait for historic Spa now!

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Just tested the 49C right now and i agree. Also i didn't noticed the tyres to go absolutely crazy in heat and pressure, so far, but not enough time with it yet, to reconfirm.

Strange, that i have a less hard time to get the 49C around the Schleife, than an F-Retro though...over Flugplatz the 49C generates bodylift, but can be catched easily, while a BT44 needs a perfectly straightened wheel and has to be driven slower there, than the 60s car.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  18. InfernalVortex

I did 3 laps around the Norschleife without pitting. Tire pressures peaked at 1.42 bar. I think they started on lap one at like 1.36 or something. They stabilized very quickly after about a half lap. This was in a practice session, not TT mode, which may or may not make a difference. But have nothing to complain about. Maybe the rest of you will find something, but I think these are ready for real racing now.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

In terms of driveability it was amazing. I almost lost it Hatzenbach 2 in the second lap and you can actually catch it pretty nicely. The Vintage Formulas had this issue with being barely controlable after some minutes before the updates, when i remember back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

:eek:OOOOOhh Yes

Will try the lotus today:hurrayreiza: