Running AMS Dedicated on Windows Server 2016/19

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Antraxo, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

Hello there,
    I've had this problem before but didn't really bother mentioning it. I've been running AMS servers for years on my older 2012 Windows Server without any issues.

Now I moved on to the 2016 or 2019 build and encounter an issue that I can't pinpoint - a friend of mine had the same problem on his 2019 build.

To make it really easy, I start the dedicated server, select my series and do all the setup. As soon as the server is live I'll add an AI to the server and the FPS tanks down to like 80~ or below. The obvious problem is that the same happens as soon as human players would join and it would just slowly tank down to almost 0 FPS, which sadly makes playing the game impossible.

Normally, from my experience of hosting AMS, the dedicated server runs on 250 FPS just like the good old friend rF1 (which is not showing this issue btw.). I'm just here on a loss of understanding to why it wouldn't work.

The server is running the following 2019 Windows Server build and has 16 gigs of RAM.
    The CPU and RAM is the same spec as the older 2012 server so there can't be an issue here.
    Windows Server Build: 17763, which is the latest build.

I can provide anything you want to solve this issue. Like I said I only encountered it on 2016 and 2019 builds not on the 2012 one.

Any help is highly appreciated.

2. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

Anyone maybe got an idea? I can provide more information if needed.... :(

3. Nicolay Giraldo

Nicolay Giraldo New Member

I have the same issue with AMS after rFactor used to work fine in Windows Server 2019.

I will test with Windows Server 2012 to see if there are improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

Sorry for the super late reply but I only had this issue on 2019 server not on 2012. Can't go back to 2012 server though.

5. lurkusmaximus

lurkusmaximus New Member

Get the Windows Performance Toolkit (Windows Performance Toolkit)

Run the recorder and launch the software. When you know you have seen the poor behavior, stop the recorder, and then load the trace into the analyzer. It can show you where each CPU is during the trace and give you incredible insight into the overall functioning of the machine. It takes a little while to ramp up on the tool, but it is very useful.

6. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

But isnt it confussing that it's running rFactor 1/2 and various other games without issues ..? Thanks for the reply though. Sad that there is no official support or something :(

7. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

Recorded the process and uploaded it here. Use the Windows Performance Analyzer to open it.
    Server starts at around 4 minutes into the test and I see no performance issues anywhere.
    Sadly as I thought it's not the machine just something going wrong with the server.exe but I can't pinpoint a solution. Specially when I try the same files on my pc and it works fine. Like I said the only difference is the operating system from 2012 to 2016/2019.

8. lurkusmaximus

lurkusmaximus New Member

I'll download it and take a look to see if I see anything. So is there bad behavior in the trace or did it not reproduce during the trace?

9. lurkusmaximus

lurkusmaximus New Member

Here is what I see in the trace

Attached Files:

10. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

It was reproduced in the trace I posted. It happens all the time. Any mod any track. Thanks for trying to help.

11. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

The small loading times might just be it starting up or loading up a mod/track combo. Otherwise the dedicated server tool always took some time to start depending on the plr file or mods being loaded. It actually was the same loadtime on my old setup and my pc and those never had this issue. A friend of mine also tried the 2016/2019 server combo and had these issues. All that helped was reinstalling the system over and over until he got "lucky".

12. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

Is there no Admin or other Member of Reiza that could maybe help here... would be really nice. Slowly losing my mind over it. :(

13. Antraxo

Antraxo New Member

Well RIP I guess.[​IMG]