1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage formulas drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jonathan Spencer, May 3, 2020.

1. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, they are great to drive, but the diff implementation seems to be still broken (as in other cars).
    0 preload 89-89 ramps and it massively spin the tire on good grip performing the mu-split test (asphalt-grass).
    Maybe they just disabled the setup menu...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Clutch LSD is still not there, where it should be also in my opinion, yes. But this is "old" news. Let's hope for further improvements.
    Have you reduced the clutches at µ-split test?

3. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Two...
    And the same happens on the Camaro road.
    It seem in some cases the setting are ineffective, in others they work up to some extent.

A bit difficult to navigate around this issue. Being the influence of the diff in AMS2 incredibly high IMHO it would be much better to use everywhere the geared implementation (seemed to work properly), mask the name and settings with some numeric levels as in most of the other sims and call it a day...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Last time i tried vintage or retros (and others), Lutch LSD was still bad and while it doesnt make the cars undriveable per se, its extremely annoying when you are trying to tune the cars behaviour.

5. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've read other people write about how you could four-wheel drift the Formula Vintage cars and have fun. But in earlier versions of AMS2, I never got that feeling. Also, the way the steering wheel suddenly went out to the side when the rear wheels lost traction felt a bit exaggerated.

Jump to yesterday: I did a VintageG1M1 race against AI on Nordschleife. It was really difficult, and the AI had a couple of huge crashes with each other on the way. But about halfway through lap 1, I started to get used to the feeling of the car. And then I had a wonderful sensation of when it clicked: I felt how natural it was for me to go into a long and gentle four-wheel drift at Galgenkopf before going on to the long straight. Unconsciously balancing the car on the limit, and playing with it when I realized what was going on. Absolutely amazing!

I hope AMS2 eventually gets some cars from the 1954-1960 2500cc F1 era, to expand on the historic Formula One journey. The Lotus 23 seems to have improved in the latest build as well, which gives me hope that the madness engine can work with F1 cars older than the Formula Vintage as well.

I'm still a bit reserved on the Formula Retros - it's not so much the understeer and LSD problems, but more some sudden unexpected twitches and car behavior that doesn't match how the car feels when driving. But they have improved, so I'll be patient and drive other cars like the Formula Vintages in the meantime.

• Like Like x 4
  6. CrimsonEminence

It was night&day with an F-Retro back then...felt comparable to AMS1.

• Like Like x 2
  7. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Same... if they would let us use the geared diffs, or hide them as clutch diffs while using the code for the geared diff (you know, to appease the purists who get hung up on labels), I'd be 9/10 happy with them. They were still a little wild at times, but a lot of the weirder behavior disappeared. I think without a practically locked rear diff they're not going to be as twitchy. But they keep working on it so that makes me happy.

The F-Vintage is still affected as well but I think the nature of the grip that they have masks it enough that it almost doesnt matter. But yeah, it does interfere with the tuning.... But I like a tight diff on the power... so I can work with it on the F-vintage models.

But guys... elephant in the room... when do we get a Lotus 49 without wings in british racing green?!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hahaha good idea.
    Nobody would find out :p

ByTheWay: Not even a certain Crimson:whistle::whistle:

9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Yes please. One day, no rush whenever, 6months dont mind.
    Its just a great car, better than the aero.
    Thanks for the update today. Reiza especially because you must have had a short weekend. Impressive work input

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

The difference is pretty easy to notice, because of the lack of a preload setting, if the geared diff gets masked without further implementation.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

How do all the Vintage Gen 2 cars compare to you guys? The Brabham is setup differently and has different suspension setups. I know from watching replays of the BT26A, that it has some extreme positive camber at full droop, (ie over bumps) but Im not sure if that's modelled. I feel like the BT26A might be a little more fun to drive than the 49C. I was 3 seconds off my Nords time in it, though. I had one lap where I had beaten my best 49C sector 1 time, and then I binned it coming out of the karussel, so who knows. Wasnt able to match that again.

I took a lap around in the regular Vintage 2 Gen 2 V8 and I was within a tenth of a second of my best nordschleife time in the 49C after 1 lap. But it was an especially good lap, I feel like the Lotus and Generic V8 cars are pretty much the same. They drove a little differently but I didnt spend much time matching up the setups.

Havent tried the V12 yet.

12. Maser V6

Hill,Rhint,Amon,Stewart.Gardner. Firestone and Goodyear boots.DFVs, Dry race followed by wet. On a good old fashioned track
    Whats not to like?

What are these like in AMS2 today? well its been a while for me so cant comment as yet.
    maybe time to retry, certainly had a blast last year scrapping with the AI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So Many Nice cars to drive.
    Shedload of options, easy to forget how big the sims content is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Yes it's ridiculous how many fun cars and beautiful track layouts we have at our disposal. If you find any bad ones - an ever shorter list - just quickly steer away and look for the many good ones. And to think we have barely tapped into the season pass thus far.

I will return to the Vintage Gen 2s today. I was too tired to actually race them yesterday, but a quick test confirmed that they are predictable oversteer machines (a theme in AMS2 yes, but it's most fun :D). I haven't driven them in months so the progress was quite profound. There is both liftoff and throttle oversteer, heavenly.

And they look absolutely beautiful when driving and in photos. We are indeed spoiled at times. :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Maser V6

Nice, Just brewed a coffee and enjoyed this race at 1 of my favorite fast tracks. South Africa
    Would be be nice Devs to have the big Dunlop tyre, spanning the track at some future track update?
    At around 15.00 min its interesting to see that the nose on some cars under braking almost touches the track. Some great car control in corners and balancing the beasties with power.
    Enjoyed a quick race yesterday but the ai had some corners issues at Jaca oval.
    Interiews with the top guns, race start at around 11 mns

With Murreys speed references and Prosts driving

bonus

Anyone have any AMS2 clips? to share

15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Drifting FVintages at Kyalami, you say?

ss164928.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Maser V6

Bingo nice 1, and vids of also.
    This is recent I assume with latest build
    Nice pic

17. Apex

Apex Active Member

I'm still struggling with the setups. I've got the kick pretty much under control by softening the rear a bit and being smooth and gentle on the throttle, but fast corners still feel weird.

It's like the diff is locked no matter what settings I use, and there's this sudden wobble every 100 meters in a sustained turn.

Any idea?

18. Roar McRipHelmet

Apex, from the default F-Vintage setups the first setting I would take a look at is the caster angle, as increasing positive caster angle will add some extra rotational dampening that should help with dampening the "kick" if it is giving you too much trouble.

19. Apex

Apex Active Member

It's not like I'm losing the rear or sliding the front wheels - it's more like the car has trouble turning on-throttle at speed even well within the envelope. Difficult to explain really, but I think it's related to the diff somehow.

20. Roar McRipHelmet

Can you give a specific car+track+corner example, so I can try to recreate this myself?

What you are describing sounds like weight transfer induced understeer: When the weight is shifted slightly to the rear and thus slightly off the front tires so that you get less traction in the front.

Example at Oulton Park's Island Bend driving the F-Vintage G1M1: If my entry speed is too low, the car is coasting towards the apex, and I want to re-gain speed by starting to accelerate smoothly before the apex, the car starts to understeer a bit. If I had pressed the throttle sharply instead of smoothly, I would have gone into a small drift. But since the weight now is shifted to the rear, pressing the throttle harder now will not help because there isn't enough grip up front to help rotate the car. The only way I can get out of the situation is by letting off the throttle or tapping the brake just a little bit. With this car, it seems like more than half the cornering ability comes from the preparation before/during entry.

It might seem as if I know what I'm talking about and that I'm an amazing driver, but I can assure you: Most of my F-Vintage driving consists of me failing and only sometimes failing with style :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021