1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Sharpening filter for Oculus?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Twinz, Apr 2, 2020.

1. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

what file are you editing with no efffect?

Mine is named after my HMD brand "graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml which is created upon boot if it doesnt exist.

I assume yours is running on the open VR configs so you should be editing these

"graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml" to edit sharpening
    and "openvrsettings.xml" for UI and eyeoffset changes ?

2. Madonion

Madonion Member

Oh my word i agree! i have a rift s and holy **** it's flippen clear as daylight! i would almost say it looks LCD quality clear. Thanks so much! Reiza please make it a slider in game as this is incredible!
    i have had no performance hit and its super clear! way better than trying to run the game on 1.5SS

current hardware are Intel 4790k @ 4.6ghz, nvidia 1080 and 100% with sharpness on 2.9 and it runs sooo smooth and looks cristal clear!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. blanes

blanes Member

I run vr sharpness at 0.95 with SS 1.1 AA Medium. You guys running 2.9 sharpness doesn't the sparkling/shimmering bother you at all ? Anything above 1.0 to me looks so sharp it is unnatural.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No, have SS 1.0 only but AA at ultra and sharpening at 2.9.
    LCD Displays in some cars have shimmering problem but everything else looks sharp and natural...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. blanes

blanes Member

Wow that's good, maybe I should try again.... Unrelated question but I saw now 2 vids on Youtube of a newer version 0.9.0 ... Yet I do not see that on my system.

So is there another set of beta players or something. It seemed odd as one guy Mad Al spoke as if it was the current version. Seems I am missing something I probably should know !

6. Mad Al

Mad Al Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, there is a Beta version that is a day or two ahead of the EA release..

• Like Like x 1
  7. blanes

blanes Member

Ok that makes sense now... Thanks Al !

Good vid too, Kyalami 2019 looks really nice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

I tried it on the Index - using graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 obviously. Increased strength to 0.4 and it makes a nice difference.

9. White Oak Racing

White Oak Racing Member AMS2 Club Member

I need help - I can't seem to get a clear picture on my Oculus Rift S. This is my second try at VR - tried 3 months a ago, but got sick and couldn't spend the time on it so I sent it back. Just got the new one today and still really can't get a clear picture.

I have set my file graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml to the following
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.900000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />
    but I need to squint for the picture to be clear - using glasses under the headset seems to make little or no difference - I use readers for computer work - 1.5 strength - so my eyes are not too bad (I'm 70 years old).
    The picture is clear only directly in the middle. All other areas are not sharp at all. The picture on the monitor is fine.
    I'd appreciate any advice, assistance. I really want to use VR. My triple screen setup is failing - two of the monitors are exhibiting problems so it's cheaper to use VR also.
    Thanks in advance for your help. I apologize in advance also for any ignorance I am demonstrating!
    I think my signature has all the pertinent hardware details.
    John

10. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My NVIDIA RTX 2080ti has image sharpening adjustment is that extra or the same as the sharpening line in the xml file?

11. Rookie_Driver

Rookie_Driver New Member

Have you tried setting the IPD of the headset? It's the distance for your pupils, to close or too wide and it's going to be blurry too.

Made an account just to reply this to you, good luck! Hope it's already solved and hope this otherwise fixes it

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tonaz

tonaz New Member

Mhh... 3770K and GTX1080? please specify "TONS", and your effects and performance settings...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

a weak cpu, that shows only 30%, because not all cores are used and a 50% idle GPU, because it's bottlenecked by a low performant CPU is not tons of overhead, its simply lack of knowledge :p

14. F2020

F2020 Member

2.9 blimey! i've not been above 1.5, found it makes the image look very edgy, will check 2.9 out tonight though as im interested!

15. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Yeah, agreed, used to use 1.5 with the Rift S but my Quest 2 with it's much higher resolution on link looks brilliant with 3.00 :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. F2020

F2020 Member

I stand corrected :) that sure does look great! non of the weird edges that used to get on my Rift, thanks for posting the above.

I was going to buy a G2 at some point soon alongside the Quest 2, but im not sure i will anymore, the clarity is great on this headset.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lensman45

lensman45 Member

I'm eager to see how things look when Facebook unlock the full resolution rendering of the Quest 2 together with the 90hz option :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Just an update to the sharpening level for Quest 2. I just got the v23 update for the headset (haven't got the PC update yet) and the devs have worked some magic with Link!
    Detail and smoothness is fabulous now and after a few adjustments I have landed on sharpening at 1.5 :) with super sampling on 1.4
    I understand the v23 PC update adds the option to set frequency 72, 80 or 90Hz. Also a slider for render resolution that uses a custom super sampling algorithm.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. F2020

F2020 Member

I've been waiting for this update since Friday!

So it does improve the resolution then, thats interesting, i didnt know whether it just improved the render as opposed to the display.

20. F2020

F2020 Member

I cant see any improvement on this v23 update at all.

Are people still using the debug tool? or should that now be ignored and reset to default?

The update hasn't brought anything new to the table for me, i was under the impression the resolution would be unlocked to native quest 2 res, which it wasn't before i was led to believe.