1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the reason we can't have AI like.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Msportdan, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think modern F1 is a prime example of a poor product sold by excellent marketing. Its history helps it though.

2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

lol been running the F Reizas at suzuka tonight, thought compare to pcars similar combo - switched to pcars version. OMG utter tripe sorry the Ai just make the f1 race an actual joke and they have some weird version of suzuka !? Pcars does work in some cars but in most cases doesn't. Where ams shines is that all cars are good. Ok the Ai wont get u back but eh

uninstalled pcars off the back of that comparison lol!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mmaruda

mmaruda Member AMS2 Club Member

The funny thing about pCARS is that you need to learn to drive with the AI. When they try to pass you, let them or they will remind you why artificial intelligence is superior to your meatbag brain. :) If they ever make the intent of passing you, they will no matter what, joke's on you for being slow.

I think this is because the difficulty slide also means agression slider. At 50% everything is fine, but they are slow, at 80% they are faster but more likely to ram you, if you are in their way. I did races in a few open-wheelers today (formula rookie, formula A, Lotus 49), and while people often claim that they are the worst in those, I disagree. The are bad only, if you don't respect them. If you leave them room when they are clearly faster, all is ok. What is quite funny is that they improve after the first lap and drive better after that. I don't know, I guess you should run practice and qualifying session so they can get the hang of thing, but who has time for that.

Anyway, my point is, the AI in CARS is ok, no great but ok, provided you learn how they work and adjust your driving accordingly. Should it be that way? No! You should be able to block them, or just go slightly into their line to suggest they should back off, and they should understand that. However, if you tune your driving to the AI aggression level, you should have an uneventful race (after lap one that is). While not realistic, they have their set of rules a player should follow. Compare that to the AI in something like Assetto Corsa and these robots are erratic.

Compare them to the robots in Raceroom and AMS, and you'll uninstall CARS and Assetto to save disk space (which is what I did today lol).

Sidenote: AMS AI in Formula Vintage is still a bit of a mess, so that is something to keep in mind. Expect crashes or spins on every second corner, though if you are careful and don't push it too much, it also means a nearly free win.