1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive multiplayer results issues

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by DaWorstPlaya, Nov 12, 2020.

1. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

So long story short, we recently started using AMS2 for our racing league and the results screen after the end of races are horribly inaccurate. Some of the issues we have noted after our races.
    1. People will cross the finish line and their positions gets flipped
    2. The gaps between people are reported incorrectly
    3. People will drop to the bottom of the results.

This is making scoring a nightmare for our league. We simply can't trust the results at the end and people have to manually verify their finishing positions to help the admins correct the results. We're hosting the races as peer to peer private lobbies. I think this is something fundamental that needs serious attention. Please help!
    Eg: Flipped positions, kbucks finished ahead of MuffinRacing but the results flipped their positions with no penalties
    upload_2020-11-12_15-19-49.png

Eg: Incorrect gaps, when the race was over the gap showed 0.015 but after the race
    upload_2020-11-12_15-22-8.png

Eg: Players being dropped in the results, you can see pre-results trippinbillies is 5th but the gets dropped from the final results.
    upload_2020-11-12_15-28-32.png

upload_2020-11-12_15-28-6.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I had it also on MP lobby's once. or so.. Need to be looked into asap.

@Domagoj Lovric Do you know this bug?

• Like Like x 1
  3. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

It seems to be some kind of syncronization issue. It's a very important issue that should be in the list of the priorities things to fix.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

If Reiza want this racing game to be used to anything serious MP wise then this should be "high in the list of the priorities things to fix.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. DaWorstPlaya

I'm really starting to wonder when Peer to Peer multiplayer lobbies will be as good as Project Cars 2.

6. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

regarding your 2nd example , i assume trippinpilleswhatever left the session b4 generation of the results screen. This is the same behaviour like in pCARS2. Unfortunatelly players are deleted immediatelly after leaving track.
    As its original pCARS2 code behind a AMS2 UI it IS as good as pCARS2. But thats not enough. It should be better :p

7. DaWorstPlaya

I don't believe he did. It actually gets worse. Different people are getting different results on their screens. The 2nd example, another Race admin took a picture from his PC and this is what he caught. This is for the same race.
    upload_2020-11-19_13-30-2.png

Note: trippinbillies and 5th place Zefram47 is missing from the same result!
    He actually shows up on the bottom of the results of his screen!!!
    upload_2020-11-19_13-31-36.png

This is crazy!

8. Wolfgang Herold

ok , i understand. It was just an assumption.
    What i see here is also that the total time and gaps aren't in sync :confused:
    Seems, in theory, everybody is racing a "local" race with additional data that are being relayed by the server from participants. If some data are lost or not synced correctly, all results are not in sysc.
    That increases the need for a real MP server immense, instead of having an enhanced p2p relay :cool:
    Results should be triggered by the clients, but calculated by the server and then send back to the client with network aknowledge. Then everybody would have the same result.o_O

9. DaWorstPlaya

Yea I tried running a Dedicated Server before we began our online Winter series and had no success with the configurations. I kept running into the following issues:
    1. The AI driver showing up on the server and wouldn't go away even when the flag wasn't present.
    2. I couldn't lower the number of penalties below 5.
    3. Some of the settings we wanted didn't give us the desired results even when we correctly set the flags. Eg: WAIT_FOR_RACE_READY_INPUT
    4. Lack of documentation on how things work and no logical sense why some settings stick and some don't.

Ultimately I just gave up on running a server due to frustration. The DS on PCars2 gave me the same headaches. If the server worked correctly, I would love to run a DS in PCars2 and AMS2.

The peer to peer lobby allowed us to setup the game the way we wanted even though you can't change race settings between races and EVERYONE needs to hop off the peer to peer lobby and join a new lobby everytime we need to make changes to the Race settings. But now we're getting incorrect results. :(

Despite PCars2 short comings, at least it's Peer to Peer lobby just worked and worked correctly.

I'm really hoping the Peer to Peer multiplayer lobby in AMS2 gets up to PCars2 level soon.

10. Wolfgang Herold

haha. You should rename to DaWorstCoder ;)
    create a DS with simple settings
    add -selectDS to your AMS2 launch options in steam.
    create a session like in P2P , if you select create you get a list of free open DS's.
    Select any or just yours and the session is running with DS.
    This is the same as known from pCARS2 DS. :cool:
    And then make this test again.
    And please. Next time be more precise in definition of your complaint

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  11. DaWorstPlaya

Haha coding is not my strong suit for sure, but thanks for the info.
    I guessing the DS doesn't have to running on the same PC as the game correct?
    Also if I "create" to change the settings, can I put a password to lock the server? Additionally, is there somewhere this temp config can/will be saved?
    I wish info like this was easier to access, this is the 1st time I'm hearing about this and lord knows I wasted a bunch of time researching DS settings.
    Not sure what how I could be "more precise" on the complaint, perhaps you could give me an example? I'm not a programmer by profession but did learn how to code in college a long long time ago.
    Again thanks for the help and suggestions.

12. DaWorstPlaya

Ok I did what you said and was able to get the AI not to show up but even after adding the wait for ready input, I'm not getting the screen where people can edit their setups and change their strategy before the race starts.

"value" : 16777216,
    "name" : "WAIT_FOR_RACE_READY_INPUT"

This is the total in the server.cfg file:
    "Flags" : 17302250,

I added that to 525034
    Which was the following default flags minus the "Fill_session_with_AI"
    // ALLOW_CUSTOM_VEHICLE_SETUP (8) + ABS_ALLOWED (32) + SC_ALLOWED (64) + TCS_ALLOWED (128) + "
    // FORCE_SAME_VEHICLE_CLASS (512) + FILL_SESSION_WITH_AI (131072) + AUTO_START_ENGINE (524288) = 656106"

I also disabled the sms_rotate config in the server.cfp file by quoting it
    //"sms_rotate"
    What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  13. Wolfgang Herold

nah. With precise i meant to add more specs, not just 2 pictures.
    the more someone knows, the more he can help w/o pulling informaition out of your nose.
    The less information, the more trail & error, the more time consuming, the more going into wrong direction.
    AAAAND. This is NOT the thread to discus server configs ;)

14. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

DaWorstPlaya, I think it's better to post your doubts in the "AMS2 dedicated server" thread. More people will be able to help you there.

15. DaWorstPlaya

See I don't think this attitude is helpful. I'm not a software programmer, you shouldn't expect me to know what error codes are being generated in the game or even expect me to know where to look. If I was that knowledgeable I would be writing my own software. As a user I'm telling the developers what I'm seeing wrong and expect either more specific questions or a fix to come out.

I already have several times and everytime I post my configs, everyone just tells me they see nothing wrong and everything should work but it doesn't. That is why I've basically given up on running a DS.

16. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Unfortunately I know nothing about setting up a DS. Otherwise I would try to help you.

But certainly there is a solution for your case. Don't give up. You will find it.

• Like Like x 1