1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI weirdness / bug?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by paulr, Nov 23, 2020.

1. paulr

paulr New Member

Hi all,
    Sorry this is a known issue but i`m quite new to AMS, in latest version (1.0.5.6) i`m noticing that AI cars dont seem to have any issue with driving on grass in slicks, I on the other hand as soon as i touch the grass i spin out.
    For example Metalmoro P3 cars at oulton park with ai agression up at 85 and level about 90. Almost every start of race on the shaws hairpin , AI cars get pushed onto the grass and litterly just drive for a few seconds and back onto the track. If i just touch the grass i spin out completely.
    Is this a bug?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

If your tyre touches grass back off throttle a bit to avoid spinning ;) I haven't noticed anything weird about my tyre on grass causing spin unless i don't drive to that condition .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. paulr

paulr New Member

Yeah but its not even having a chance to control, the wheel just touches the grass and i`m gone , into a spin. Even without throttle and trying to steer, its like ice. But the AI just carries on like its tarmac.

4. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The Madness engine seems to be built on a different philosophy. I don't know that the AI will ever be race worthy in this game - I've seen no signs so far.

The AI aren't driving the same car as you; they are following a line. If they're pushed off their line they simply get back on it. If they're two abreast in a corner neither can follow the racing line so their speed through the corner should be compromised but in practise they seem to have a set speed for a corner and follow that regardless of following a tighter arc.

Think of the AI as the electric hare of greyhound racing. It never tires and never makes contact with the ground. It's to push you on; not to race you.

I don't think the AI is ready for racing. Try racing a pack of F3s or P3s round the Nords 24 Hour. In many tracks they just go line astern. At the Nords they're side by side. Several cars jiggling for track position and going as fast as your best qualifying or racing time. (And watch them go through the second Metzgesfeld!) The new F1 motto "We race as one" has been taken literally. You can't pass these cars because there's no room. Even in qualifying, where they start out a second apart, once they catch up to the car in front there's no separating them.

At the moment the AI are not for racing but for pacing. I use one or two cars for hot-lapping and building the ability to race at qualifying pace. If I feel the urge to race, other sims beckon.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That will not help. Even if you lift off completely, when putting two wheels on grass the car gets extra angular momentum out of nowhere that forces it to spin even if you were almost coming to a stop when touching the grass.

6. 2ndLastJedi

What car/track combo is this happening for you with ? I just did 7 laps around Nordschleife in the Cup car with 2 wheels on the grass on many occasions and didnt spin once !! I was even thinking that it is to forgiving after i had been doing the same thing in rF2 earlier tonight , AMS 2 feels like its holding my hand :(

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You were probably doing time trials or free practice, in race sessions the grip is dramatically reduced because the track defaults to a green track. This also makes the grass much more deadly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

No mate , i was racing Porsche cup, GT3, GT4 and P1 in a mixed race 7 lapper ;) Starting at 5am x 10 time multiplayer with heavy cloud , light cloud and clear weather at 10x also ;)

9. paulr

paulr New Member

See my first post about car and track. thanks

10. paulr

paulr New Member

ok thanks, that would explain a lot. Its a shame if it works like that though, I guess maybe like you say just use a few cars for timing rather than a full grid of cars.

11. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah i'm out. Thanks

12. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The grass is rather slippy. In some places. You can have an off and recover with no throttle, others not.

Its not the game mode. Turn 7 of Brands for example. If your rear hits the grass on the left while on throttle, you’re gone. You can save it if you mind your throttle though.

The lateral grip for the tires on grass is really low generally. Try driving on the grass on purpose. It feels odd going 10kph and being able to slip around. I just treat it like the track groundskeeper left the sprinklers on overnight. :)

Its not the “madness engine”. Perhaps a base code legacy, but completely adjustable and the lateral grip could be different depending on the track.

Imo the AI is better than some games and worse. Aggressiveness settings matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. paulr

paulr New Member

Sure, the main issue is its completely not slippery for the AI . But i think its been explained about how the AI works, they just follow a path. Just at the track i was testing everytime i restarted i`d see a few cars driving over the grass and you`d think the grass was the tarmac the way they kept going and steered back onto the track. I guess its something i`ll have to overlook.
    Thanks

14. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't disagree with that. It isn't surprising that the AI is not programmed with the full physics package the user has. I don't think any game does, so imo its not a flaw. Its just unnecessary calculations that your computer would have to do. Since that is the case, the "return" to track logic, could be programmed without grip limits at all. So long as it looks realistic is all that matters.

15. paulr

paulr New Member

I think because i`ve played the likes of wreckfest (dont laugh) in the past you start to appreciate the AI and Damage model they have in that game. It really puts what i`ve seen in sim racing games to shame. Theres something really impressive about the occasional big crash that involves AI cars that adds to the realism. You do see it on occasions in AMS2 but not often enough. Watch any real races and there are incidents all over the place, especially at the start. In AMS2 i`d say 9 out of 10 times crashes or retirements only seem to revolve around me, otherwise the AI is quite happy to just go around in a line of cars.

16. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, I'm probably to late with a reaction, i see you adjusted your problem o_O
    But.....
    Do you mean Britten's?
    I did several 10 lap races on Oulton Park International,and the AI never rides the grass, on some spots they just hit the grass.
    On Oulton Park Classic some went of track in the "Island Bent" and returned to the track, but lost time doing so.
    As a test i drove my car onto the grass a few times and was able to return to the track without the "i'm on ice" experience, i can't explaine.
    Some ideas;
    Are you sure your files are ok?
    Did you Update to the latest version?
    Try "verify integrity of game files.."
    If you use driving assists you don't learn to control the car and can be in trouble on the grass

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

Well i'm back in after having a quick test with P3 at Oulton Park and i still cant see an issue with the way the car drives on grass even at full throttle and purposefully driving badly the car does what i would expect .
    This is with assists set to full in the menu and then individually set to off as specified in the beta forum as to how to get TC/ABS and SC to actually turn off ;) If set to authentic it seems that TC is on to some amount .

Excuse the filming with phone as i don't have software that records triple screens :oops: I'm also in a house with 3 kids so there may be background noise :whistle: and car engine sounds are low as its still through my headset that i'm wearing :p This is the replay of a lap .

• Like Like x 2
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Im solely driving the formula cars (F-V10G1/F-Reiza) and would agree that when driving on grass the grip (and bouncing) are completely off (wacky :p)
    But looking at this video I can only conclude there must be some (huge) difference between how different cars does behave on grass.;)
    The only thing I can say about the behaviour on the video is that without the text saying that aids is completely off I would think it was fully on.:)

ByTheWay: Competent driving :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

That's funny - the grass is green as well!

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. 2ndLastJedi

I find it funny that apparently the greener the track the "greener" the grass becomes o_O