1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi player catastrophic behavior

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Lgars, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Lgars

Lgars New Member

The multiplayer is unfortunately rotten by the behavior of some ... Unless I got the wrong game is that the goal is to take out as many people as possible. Too bad because the AMS2 is excellent but I really don't want to play online anymore

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

This is hardly anything unusual or unique to AMS 2. All sims are full of idiots if you race in public lobbies against random people you don't know. Comes with the territory, which is why many people avoid public servers and join organised communities instead. Like RaceDepartment.

3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It because its me me me. People tend to force other people their space. Lets take T2 in Bathurst. Some people tend to brake very late, bump into side of the car front of them, etc. Like its banger racing. Or trying to squish their car in a corner or hairpin where it isn't possible. With a little patience they can pass the slower car in front of them, but no.

Also it's the nature of short laps at MP. People take huge risks trying to win, but it will always led to crashes. It's just the nature of people.

Racing is a chess game. It isn't a Call of Duty, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

That's the way public servers are. Many crashers, rammers and trolls. Not only in AMS2.

But sometimes you can find some good races too. When I join a full public server, I'm aware that the great majority of races will be destroyed by the bad behavior of some, but also that there will be some races which are worth and fun until the end. There are good and clean drivers on public servers too.

By the way, you can always start a vote to kick the troll (2/3 majority needed to pass), or, if you are the server host, your vote is enough to kick him.

5. Lgars

Lgars New Member

I wait impatiently for the multiplayer "note" system which I hope will improve this mode ...

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

If real life racing was also without any economical and physical consequences people would also take others out every two minutes.
    Not because the majority of drivers are evil or bad people but because a lot of people has so low self esteem that they cannot accept that some other people has better skills or/and talent than themselves.
    Thats the reason racing games if they want to uphold some reasonable and not demolition derby-ish MP racing need to include some kind of "safety rating".
    A safety rating that can be lost if you behave "bad" on the virtual track.
    The intention of this is to exclude you from races (or series) you otherwise would like to enter.
    Just like economical and physical consequences would do in real life racing ;)

ByTheWay: Beside people who take other people out because of the mentioned mental reasons - there is of course also people who just does it because they are (still) lacking enough racing skills to behave reasonable on track. They are often called rookies :)

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

No, that is totally false and unfair to actual rookies. Being new to sim-racing does not automatically make you an inconsiderate, unfair driver. Nor should such drivers taint the perfectly legitimate name of "rookie" so that all rookies get tarred with the same brush. This is the exact type of stereotyping which causes intolerance in gaming/simming communities.

The people that drive like idiots fall into one category... idiots. The reason they drive the way the do is because they are driving against people they don't know and therefore don't care about. There are no consequences for their actions so they just do whatever is in their own best interest, and to hell with everyone else.

That's why organised communities help stamp this kind of driving out. The driver do know each other which goes a long way to making people think before they act. It also means the communities can introduce consequences for poor sportsmanship, like RD's Golden Rule, which again makes people think twice before doing something stupid.

The introduction of automatic ranking systems and reputation points on public servers can help to ease the problem too, but it still won't eliminate it. You have to start at the bottom on the unregulated servers to get your rank/rep up in order to join the more exclusive levels, so you'll still have to put up with crap driving for a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Outside of all of the people that intentionally cause uses. The vast majority of incidents are down to just inexperience with racing, disregard for situational awareness, unfamiliarity with the the capabilities of a car/track or a mixture. On the part of the alleged aggressor and the aggrieved. The weight each of us puts on ourselves to learn and resolve these issues is completely subjective as well. Some people don't know they are they're own problem, some people may not even care. Focus on yourself first and keep in mind, if you have only marginal control of a new car you are hopping into for the first time, chances are those around you on the grid are in the same boat.

How do you personally reduce the amounts of incidents you experience? The best way unfortunately, is to qualify well, which is easier said than done (this assumes you know the car and the track). Second, pay no mind to where you finish, so long as you finish the race. Third, drive with the intention of keeping it clean. Fourth, pass in passing zones no matter how big of a run you think you have. (If they don't expect you to pass, they will drive like you aren't there). Fifth, try to anticipate issues ahead of you and back off. Sixth, if you have an off or make a mistake, let people by. Seventh, don't overdrive your car. Finally, never retaliate, never never never, regardless of how upset you are.

Im not saying I'm perfect, I make mistakes. Apologize, say sorry, say you locked up and take your lumps in chat.

I personally respect clean racers more than fast ones. So if you're going to build a reputation, that's where I suggest you start. People will remember your name and like racing with you which is the point of MP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lgars

Lgars New Member

Unfortunately, having a good or bad time in qualifying does not change much, in front or in the middle of the grid at the first corner the last ones come in force. It is not the inexperience that irritates me but the deliberate behavior of pushing to gain a place, I find that so bad ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hey guys I just saw these stewarding notes in Racerooms forum.
    And I does admit that if such kind of serious stewarding had been done in iRacing when I was a member then my guess is that a lot of the mandatory wrecking would have stopped.
    Much better than their automaticised(?) safety rating are trying to.;)

I point this out because such kind of verbal and transparent penality execusion can probably also make AMS2s mandatory demolition derbies in MP a thing of the past.
    Because its easy to pinpoint who is a egoistic wrecker - and who is just slightly unskilled.:D

ByTheWay: But it is depending of some stewards with a natural autority.
    Hehe not some: Cartman Respect My Authoritah :p
    CUPRA E-Racing Competition 2020

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  11. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

As a MP rookie I had a very positive experience in chat recently.

Someone thanked me for being aware of them coming up behind me and making the effort to leave room for them, they also offered some small advice and encouragement as it was clear that I’m new to online racing against other players. I think the fact that I was so busy checking my mirrors for the pass that I was actually all over the place gave it away:D

There are positive as well as negative experiences out there and I hope that the frustrations brought on by idiots as well as by those of us less skilled and experienced won’t let the more experienced players forget that. For those of us not wanting to punt others off the track there’s still a tonne of ‘issues’ for us to deal with; unfamiliar tracks, new cars, poor setups and people who are just astonishingly quick. Give us time (and maybe a bit of space;).)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

For me, one of the biggest missbehavior in MP is leaving the track before race is over.

If you ever had the dream of a great longrun on Nordschleife , Spa or LeMans, stop dreaming if you're one of the guys who leaves a race for every little problem!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I am guilty of leaving online races early--because of big problems, not little ones.

Sorry, but when I am on a server and have spent the time and effort to Q well and then some moron takes out half the field at T1, which more often than not includes me, there is no point. I am not going to limp around the track to get damage repaired and then drive by myself at the back of the field for no purpose. I was there to race with like-minded and skilled people. I am delighted to lose positions and not win races, but when you cannot even have a race past the first corner or lap due to inconsiderate other players, I am not about to add insult to injury and waste even more of my time. I Q in the top 10% about 90% of the time. I have had about 10% of online races that were actually races. And even those 10% that I survived T1, many times it was just luck as others who were sincerely there to race were taken out instead.

Until there is a safety rating that actually works well (not a trivial task to devise and implement), public servers are largely a crap shoot. No one should be surprised when a majority of people leave before the end of the race. Ironically, the trouble-makers also leave after a lap or two when it becomes clear they have less talent than ambition, or, they have done their damage/had their fun and can go wreck some other race.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Lgars

Lgars New Member

I totally agree with you. I find it stupid to want everyone to win a place at the expense of other players. Of course I understand beginners who make mistakes but very often there are morons who want to all take it and that I really have trouble (yet when someone is faster I put myself on the side of course)

• Like Like x 1
  15. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    I've been racing online for a long time.
    I mp race almost everyday with ams 2. There are some idiots out there , but I have been having a good time. I usually q top 5. And I try to identify who may be a problem. At race start I usually chat...just said my 1st turn prayer...ha.
    I never see u guys but obviously I'm not in all races.
    What timezone do u guys race in? Add me on steam. There's still good in even this world.:)

• Like Like x 2
  16. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not making excuses for anyone, but it's difficult to transition from racing mindless AI in any racing title where it's fine to divebomb to gain place(s) or make other dangerous manoeuvres as AI usually have that alien space awareness so racers can get away with a lot.
    After a while it becomes a norm and sadly gets transferred (without wrong intentions) to online lobbies by many racers, who are then complaining at lack of space awareness of fellow racers :eek:

There's a need for education and good racing etiquette resources to be created and shared within community to help. No amount of rankings or penalties will help if the knowledge of what's allowed and what isn't is not commonly known, understood and respected.

17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

MP needs to be unlocked if you clocked 50 hours in the F-trainer or so. :p or have finished the F3 championship.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I just hope AMS2 ranking/safety system will be very well done. Maybe something innovative, that can attract people tired of the public servers mess on other racing titles. It could be AMS2 differential.

19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

this screenshot is from a replay of a race where nobody shot out others. But i could see some going off track and then give up. I clearly understand when people leave a race when idiots trying to kill everything. But if you just have an accident, why not going to pits and repair, or drive allong with others that make also faults and try to be not the last. With every km you drive, you learn something. With every km you abandon, you loose knowledge and will never get an experienced driver.

All i can say, 15 drivers started. 9 douchebags left. :mad:
    1 gave up and stayed in pits til end of race. Well done.
    20201128024052_1.jpg