1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

i testet the PC2 file and still no...
    and adding LFB on a DD base ends in rumbling, so this dont work.
    i made a "clean" standard custom FFB file and used NuScoorpis Madness FFB tool and build my own custom FFB file now.
    had some minor changes and it feels better now even if its not perfect.
    the most problem ist when "rack load" is set to high.
    but with this broken suspension its senseless to invest time and will into this game...

2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Ok,
    I agree this game is in desperate need for a suspension fix.
    But the rest I don't understand.
    The Lfb slider when using silver raw custom file does not end in rumbling on a dd wheel base. That is what I explained before.
    If you like the old default feel better than the new Default or Silver raw, then I can not help you, since my feeling is very different. Maybe it's a wheel base thing, who knows... Aside from the suspension of course.... That PC2 gt3 cars don't feel good to you using silver project is also beyond me and must be also wheel base or just different opinion on how it should feel.
    @Shadak who recently raced various gt cars + formula says that on his DD1 the PC2 feel from that file is very/pretty close to the real feel, as he sees it. An interedting side note is that he says rf2 Porsche Cup car is extremely close/just like the real deal. I'm giving that car a run at SPA one of the days soon 8)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  3. Jens E.

Jens E. Member

EDIT: LFB and min. force mistaken :(
    my fault sorry...
    LFB works, min force does not on my DD (or on DD overall).

4. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT New Member

I have damper at 0 with both Silver and Default and Default is much better, Silver is overdampened.

5. Karsten Hvidberg

Hmm, that sounds weird?
    It's subjective of course, but Default at 0 gives me huge pendulum effect, do you use heavy TD filtering (damping or friction)?

But on another note, if you're happy using Default I would def. stick with that as it's just simpler and will only get better, hopefully.

6. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT New Member

Something changed in silver-raw-6.6.5.15, as silver-raw-6.6.5.14 was much better than Default.

0 damper in Default and Custom should be the same, correct?

7. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

@karsten i have been following your thread for a while now without much success using the DD2 until now. Just used your 6.6.5.15 and managed to jump in a brand new car never driven before and could drive it with more confidence than usual.

Many thanks for persevering

8. Karsten Hvidberg

Just changed it back, so latest version 6.6.5.17 now has damping exactly as 6.6.5.14 did, direct link:

https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-18-zip.11138/
    (link for 6.6.5.18 that has a bug fix for 6.6.5.17)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT New Member

And IMHO in game damper is one huge fidelity killer. You can get much better results by leaving it at 0 and compensating via TD damper/friction/inertia. I just set all 3 to 10.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for this excellent ffb mod!
    I felt like the road feel had gone away with v1050 and I was struggling to get that back.
    I also like the response of your lfb. It also had lost some of it's effect.
    I am much happier now with the feel and also have more confidence to push to my limit.
    I am looking forward to giving your PC2 mod a go.
    All the best going forward with your work...
    Using 55/20/50/12 for now....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Inthebagbud,

Thanks, it's weird I keep going... But it's simply fun when time allows. My geek OCD.
    Hopefully it helps motivate Reiza to push through on the Default, as I can't stand driving it as long as the pendulum effect is there. It's an underlying issue from the madness tech they need to fix, I believe. But I'll not drive it since to me it feels like the steering wheel is chasing the tyres... Hopefully Reiza is working hard to get to the root of it...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Hello all, IMPORTANT note to custom files authors (at least until we push some udpated ffb guide, planned with it is custom file with more description on available values and functions within game).

We've been notified on dreaded "wheel pulls" to the side while using custom files; in default that shouldn't happen as of some of latest updates, as of recently it has special check function in it.

To have that check in custom files; add this line:

Code:
    #needs to be before any output clipping (either some non-linear cutoff or hardclipping).
    (doom_check output)

Just that, it doesn't return anything, as it's result is used elsewhere in code, not in ffb scripting part.

We still haven't hunted the issue down, but basically part of it is for unknown reason, internal state of some functions in ffb scripting parser, goes bananas, and it doesn't recover till game restart.

With (doom_check) instead of crazy pulls to either left or right, ffb will just dissapear, which isn't ideal but it's so far better option, at least until proper system reset is implemented.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Thanks Domagoj. I had this twice happen in mp race while leading:)
    I fought it until I pulled the power cord on wheel.
    Looking forward to that guide.

14. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Karsten,

I’m really liking your latest file. I changed a couple of the editable values and it works brilliantly for me. Using ~65/5/50/1 in game.

Thanks again for all your efforts :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten. I feel like I'm very late to the party trying out your custom FFB, but I'm very glad I finally did. As far as I'm concerned this file is transformative, it turns AMS2's generally great FFB into absolutely sublime FFB. The cars all feel like they have weight pushing down on rubber tyres, and the feeling of adhesion (or loss thereof) is beautifully communicated. Cars like the Macca 570, which are a bit of a dog with the default FFB, are totally transformed by your file. The pendulum feeling which affected some cars is pretty much eliminated, ditto the overly bouncy feeling on cars such as the Porsches.
    The only downside to your system is the notch/clunk when the wheel passes through centre. I can't dial it out, and it reminds me of my car (i30) when the power steering developed a clunk.
    Thanks very much for all your hard work with this.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten Hvidberg, your latest revision: "Silver Raw 6.6.5.19 - Momentum Rack 4.5" of November 30 2020" is very good ... thank you again for your commitment and support in the development of these wonderful customized files ... in particular I must emphasize how these new revisions post 6.6.5. * work differently than the previous series ... moreover, also the insertion of the new dampening parameter (which I previously found almost useless) can in some cases be ameliorative and "dampen" some incongruities ... :cool:

With my logitech g920
    before I used these GAIN 85 LFB 15 FX 75 Dampening 0 values ... now, with your latest revision (and following the advice given in the 2nd post) I use these other value:
    - GAIN 75
    - LFB 35
    - FX 75
    - Dampening values 5- 10 (depending on the car and in case of too much flattening, the value will bring it back to 0).

In summary, therefore, the default is much improved but still it is too flat and not very informative, moreover, if you use a little high LFB values, sometimes, depending on the car used, the annoying pendulum effect returns again ... all this is mitigated in addition, a whole range of sensations is added in the customized files that are not detected with the default ...

So what do I miss to be totally satisfied? Having a better feel on the front, feels good about the physics of the car, its structural work and shock absorbers, but does not feel good grip of the front wheels, it seems there is a floating effect on the front of the car ... the wheels pass from the state of grip to the state of non-grip too quickly and without having the intermediate sensations to slip ... I don't know if I make my thoughts clear, is it a car physics problem yet to be optimized or is it an FFB output problem ??
    Regardless, with the necessary differences between one car and another, I would like to have the front resting on the road and hear it scratch until the loss of grip ...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Member AMS2 Club Member

Have anyoune a good tip for the CSW 2.5?
    Ingame and driver?

18. Karsten Hvidberg

Hi tpw,

Thanks for the feedback, it has annoyed me for a little while too, just not enough it seems.
    But now you made me add the fix for that to the latest slightly adjusted version:

https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-21-zip.11172/

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Stakanov,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
    Reg. the grip loss, that's down to the physics. What we can do with the FFB is to make it feel as good as it can, but best if it matches the physics. There is a variable "front_grip_slip_feel_coeff" in the file that I just adjusted a little down in the latest version. You can set it all the way down to "0.0" to have it be fully linear, it might be what you want.
    The grip loss is very gradual & you feel it from the front tyre scrub more and more until you lose the grip. What that variable at 0.2 does is still make it gradual, but keep a kind of "cliff", so it makes a rapid drop right at full loss only, instead of being fully linear.

I do have some other thing in the works that you might like, somewhat related, but will not make it in to the file for a few more days, it seems...

Anyways, the direct link for the latest: https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-21-zip.11172/

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Good evening all.

I am fairly new to Automobolista 2 and would really like to immerse myself in a custom FFB file to enhance the game. I use the Thrustmaster TS-XW wheel so what file is best suited for it? Apologies if there is an obvious answer somewhere.

On a secondary note I am note very technically minded so is there an idiots guide to installing and using the recommended file with the exception of the first post as believe it or not I am still unsure of what to do lol?

Many thanks in advance as always
    Baz