1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

After multiplayer qualification, pointing continue button with gaze control activates it only at the second time. First time pointing on it the button effects click but no action than after a second time required to actually continue.

2. psone

psone Guest

@Ochilbaz

One thing I would say about the G2 is that I've seen a few different issues popping up already, peoples units being DOA or dying soon afterward, some people seem to be killing the display port cable by routing it incorrectly at the front of the headset, another issue is that the headphones when at 100% are drawing too much power and blacking out the screens. The first is fixible with better documentation and the second with a patch. It was the same story with the launch of the original Reverb, unfortunately it took HP a while to sort their **** out.

Not how things should be done but there you go. So yeah probably not the worst thing in the world that it'll be a while before they're freely available hopeful.

3. ToMythTo

To be more specific; i constantly see jagged start lines and shadows are always jagged even in ultra, Maybe sharpening too much gives that same effect. Especially within high speeds everyting seems to lowerin the quality (no motion blur).

4. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Yeah, the shadows are a mess in VR, I don't think there is a user fix for that at the moment. The Quest 2 higher resolution certainly sorts out the jaggies tho'.

5. ToMythTo

Graphics are getting weirder when sun light hits the objects. I play in heavy cloud to get more clean view.

6. lensman45

lensman45 Member

If you can crank up MSSA at the expense of any other things like super sampling you should find that the jagged lines smooth out a tad.

7. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I had a drive around the Nordschleife in the AJR, and it was great fun. However, it was 36 fps fun and the performance headroom was a dire -45%, which is why I fiddled with the Oculus Diagnostic tool and found that if I disabled ASW I got a solid 72 fps with a 5% performance headroom and it only dropped a few frames below this through a lap. When I set ASW to either of the two half frame-rate options, the performance headroom was also -45% (I'd have expected this to rise with the two half frame-rate options, but it didn't).

I tried a similar thing in ACC and ASW on Auto or Disabled made no difference to the performance headroom (or the fps).

Does anyone have any idea why this strangeness is occurring?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. richiehatchet

richiehatchet New Member

Yep, same here. Shadows are jaggy messes in VR regardless of settings. Reported it as a bug.

@Andrew ... try the app render time in diagnostic tool as I believe it gives a truer result versus perf headroom. I run ASW disabled all the time as I think it kicks in too readily and I don't find the transition smooth. I adjust my settings to keep render time at or below 12.5ms (80 Hz for Rift S)

9. KastaRules

KastaRules New Member

Thank you for the reply! I had already set it to 0 because it clearly states in the options menu that "a lower number means lower movement and a higher number means higher movement" but at 0 the issue was still there.

So I went back and tried setting it to 100, which should be the opposite of what I wanted, but it actually solved the problem of the car pivoting around the camera. Go figure.

I am really pleased though.

10. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

@Andrew ... try the app render time in diagnostic tool as I believe it gives a truer result versus perf headroom. I run ASW disabled all the time as I think it kicks in too readily and I don't find the transition smooth. I adjust my settings to keep render time at or below 12.5ms (80 Hz for Rift S)[/QUOTE]

What I found strange was that turning ASW on seems to have a very high performance hit even when ASW is not required. When ASW is disabled then the performance headroom is positive, and I imagine the performance headroom is an indication as to whether the framerate can continue at full speed or not (correct me if I'm wrong). I would have thought that if I can get a solid 72 fps with ASW disabled, then I should get the same with it enabled (on Auto). The same trait is seen in PC2, but not with rF2, AC and ACC, which can all maintain 72 fps with a constant performance headroom irrespective of whether ASW is set to Auto or Disabled.

Even odder is that if you forced half framerate (and I'm not sure why you have the option of half framerate with ASW enabled and half framerate with ASW disabled), then you would intuitively think that the workload to achieve this would create a higher performance headroom, but instead it gets lower. ASW on auto or either half framerate options drops the headroom from +3% down to -40%. However, this trait isn't peculiar to AMS2 and PC2, as it does the same in rF2, ACC and AC - I just don't understand why.

I haven't yet looked at App render time, but thanks for the pointer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ToMythTo

This shader here seems smoothed the images for me without any fps effect. Now its more close with ACC that i made by using custom ini files.

and this is the comparision

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  12. ToMythTo

I know, I've just felt that way but to be exact one need to know what steps does shader process. You can try it yourself.

13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Member AMS2 Club Member

Good morning.

Is there a possibilty to decrease the VR World?
    The Car is very tiny.

14. memoNo1

All fine got it!

To change the world scale:
    Find "oculussetings.xml" or "openvrsettings" or "starvrsettings" in your "document / automobilista 2" folder, it depends on your helmet, and change this line:
    prop name = "IPD_Scale" data = "0.96" />
    less than 1 to enlarge, greater to decrease.

I set it to 0.96 to enlarge the cockpits a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ToMythTo

Is this make to see the mirror on the other side easier without distorting the view much? I need a larger fov I guess.

16. memoNo1

Havent tried it yet mate.
    Tonight..

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Shows what you know, genius. I ran an AMS 2 online racing club and have raced in VR on my 1060 with a mix of medium to high settings with 20+ people on the grid. If you don't want to believe that because you are unable to optimise your own system, that's your choice, but you don't get to tell others what they see with their own eyes. It just makes you look like a total nob.

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I was out for several months and just re-launched the sim this afternoon in monitor and VR. In between I upgraded my computer from an I7-3770K to I7-10700K, 16 to 32GB RAM. I kept my GTX1080.
    I can't judge what have been done performance wise due to this upgrade but performance was really good. On monitor I reach more than 220fps 1080p full ultra settings (vsync off for testing purpose only), and in VR I can set nearly all in Ultra but lowered a bit some settings like shaddows and reflections to be able to race with 15AIs and keep my 90fps with headroom as my GPU usage is at around 85%. I didn't have such performance with my previous machine for sure, and such high settings? I guess CPU upgrade did a lot, and my good old GTX1080 do the job pretty well :)
    I'm just surprised we still have to edit manually an xml file to change the Sharpening Strengh (I had few seconds of deception when I first run it before remembering this trick), they really need to set an menu option for this, and also edit another xml to set the VR Hud in a better default position. The latter could be possibly set in menu AFAIK.
    In all case just Waoooo! what a blast!, and image quality flat and VR!, good!, very good to be back :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Cheap Seafood

Cheap Seafood New Member

So has there been any headway with solving these stutters that many are experiencing? Built a brand new system with a Ryzen 5800 and GTX 3090. Super buttery smooth with my G2 in every other game. With AMS2 the frames are super smooth while I'm sitting there looking all around. The moment I go around a corner; major juddering. Has anyone with the same condition figured anything out? Be a shame to let this game collect dust because of something technical that could be fixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Turn off grass