1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Hi Baz, will try to help you. As far as I know, the process to install the files is pretty straightforward:
    a) open your downloaded file and unzip it. Inside you'll find 3 folders (High, Med, Low). Inside each one you'll find a file called ffb_custom_settings.txt.
    b) Depending on your hardware (high, med or low "quality"), you pick the corresponding file ffb_custom_settings.txt and put it inside your "My Documents\Automobilista 2" folder.
    c) Once inside the game, choose "Custom" on the FFB settings and that's all.

In my case, I use an old G25 wheel, so I chose the "low" version and voilá. Welcome to another (better) game.

If for some reason you don't like the settings, you can put the settings back to "default". Also, you can simply delete the ffb_custom_settings.txt file and AMS2 will generate a new one with default settings next time you launch the game.

Cheers
    EDIT: to clarify: High End = direct drive; Mid End = belt drive; Low End = everything else. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thank you joker. I will try the install file tomorrow when I am on.

many thanks again

3. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Hi Karsten, many thankies for your ongoing efforts with your custom setup.
    I just installed the 21 file and for me it's really good. the forces, the braking, almost everything.
    You know that there are so many parameters on a car - engine - ffb etc that i could imagine makes even you confused.
    But the last file together with my settings on the thrustmaster gt edition is really good.
    One thing though, thew new feature, uphill downhill forces, i dont feel.
    In AC i could feel the liftoff when driving over a hill and diving down.
    Do i have to tune something there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hibazziboy,

It's more of an elevation change feel really, not so much for longer uphill or downhill runs.
    You should feel it very clearly on several stretches on Nordschleife for example. Best example is the long stretch at the end. You will feel the elevation changes up/down in your wheel.
    If you still don't think you do, then you can try changing the elevation variable near the top, set it to 0.0, and drive that same place again.

-K

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

6. ltegalad

ltegalad New Member

Hi, there's something that I've been wondering about custom FFB files that maybe someone knows the answer to: When does AMS read the custom FFB file?
    the reason I ask is to know if I change variables in the file, I need to restart the whole sim, or just come back to the main menu and restart the session.

7. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sadly, I believe its the former.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. kendoslow

kendoslow New Member AMS2 Club Member

I wonder if someone with much more knowledge of ffb workings can help with something.
    I was trying an experiment today, really just comparing the AI using AMS 2 Porsche GTR3 with the Pcars2 version, a race at Silverstone International.
    I've never quite settled with the FFB in AMS2 but have a custom file for PCars 2 and it felt much better, so I copied it to the AMS2 folder in my docs and then the Porsche felt as good as it had.
    Should that have worked, it certainly felt as if it did.
    Everything else was at default for my G25 in the game.

9. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Curious, this would imply that the files are interchangeable between titles.
    My bet is that if AMS2 cannot recognize the custom file (from PCARS2) then it may simply load the "default". Did you try to see if there's a feeling difference between your imported PCARS2 file and the AMS2 default?

10. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Maybe you had not selected "Custom" from the Force feedback menu?
    The files are not compatible between AMS2 and PC2.

11. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I have downloaded file but it doesn`t have the .txt bit at the end. Do I have to rename it and add that on?

Thanks in advance

12. kendoslow

Thanks for replying guys.
    My AMS2 Porsche was default and yes the difference was noticeable, the reason I tried it was I didn't like the AMS2 ffb.
    That's what I thought, unfortunately I can't remember what the custom file was that I'd got for PCars2 from about 2years ago.
    I'm going to try with some different cars tomorrow, I don't think I'm imagining it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh wow Karsten, this latest file... wow. Absolutely perfect. I couldn’t be happier. :D

Edit: I only tried it with the GT3 Mclaren btw.

14. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Hi Baz, do you see the extension when you just open the zip file (before extracting it?). You should.
    If you extracted the file from the zip, it may not show you the extension if you have Windows Explorer configured to not show "file name extensions". Easier way to check if this is true is to look for other files on the same folder and see if they also don't show extensions. If this is the case, then I would recommend you to check the "file name extensions" option on the Windows Explorer's "View" menu.

15. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You should also try the custom ffb file Heavy Messing (NuScorpii V2.5) for my T300rs at the moment is the best

Attached Files:

16. kendoslow

You were right I was running on default. Definitely felt a difference but it must have been a placebo effect.:oops:
    Tried the same with a Ginetta G55 GT4, pcars 2 felt awful, AMS 2 was fine. Ah well looks like senility wins out again.:eek:

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Speckle

Speckle New Member

Hi, new boy here.

First of all, a huge thank you to all main contributors to this thread who are putting so much time and effort into these files. I'm a DD2 user, who is new to the forum, and to AMS 2. I started with the default settings and the recommended settings from the Fanatec website and the result was just awful. The steering felt like I was somehow pulling the car around the corners and the steering felt way too loose at the centre - nothing like other sims, it felt weird and unreal.

Since stumbling across this thread, I have joined you all down the rabbit hole and have been tweaking and experimenting but, have not yet found that sweet spot. My benchmark combo that I'm using to test is the GT3 Porsche around Imola. I figure if I can sort out the Porsche and get it feeling good, everything else should just fall into place, right?

I was wondering if someone could point me towards a good starting point. There are many files in this thread and, I'm not sure which one is the latest variant (I've tried a few already but, quickly lost track of them!)

I'm particularly interested in the settings for the DD2 to be used in conjunction with these files, in particular the linearity (on or off?), the damper, friction, interpolation & inertia. I realise these are personal preference to some degree but, where to start?

Hi Inthebagbud, long time no see :) Are you still hotlapping?

Could you post the fanalab and ingame settings you're using?

18. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi Karsten,

Man you just pumping em out! God Bless You!

I noticed in second post under older versioms you mention a x.x.x.10 version but I don't see it in the list of downloads. You mention increased oversteer/under steer effect at lower thresholds. Am I blind?
    And thank for for annotating what the variables do to solve common problems.

It seems to me that about 3 days ago all ffb started feeling weaker. Not after the big update a little one since. Hope that's understandable:)
    Thank you for allowing me and my meager dfgt have the best ffb of all the titles I own. The only thing I'm missing is the oversteer/under steer wheel lightness from rf2/ GTR2....and the flat spots.

Thank you so much for your awesome efforts.

PS I'm using 40/70/50 or 60 in game. And the mid wheel files.

19. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

Long time speckle , hotlapping somewhat on back burner as running in a few leagues now with OTL and Noobz with awittyusername sometimes. DD2 settings incoming tomorrow.
    Word of warning you will get one car sorted but the next wont be - really frustrating. Find the right combo and it's awesome but others will drive you mad

Speckle - please see this post for settings Fanatec DD2 Settings - Share yours

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  20. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten. You just keep them coming and coming, don't you? Great work. I just noticed a lot of added lines in your latest file that we can change, but have no idea what they do, or which way to adjust. Things like Bumps1, Bumps2, eye_coeff , eye_width, & eye_height. It would be great to know what they do etc. Do we just leave these alone, or play with them? Thank you. Keep up the great work you do to make AMS 2 feel so much better.