AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Looking at the video, are the driver hands not holding the wheel?

2. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

nope, but might be something in settings? its fresh install

3. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

Can also confirm WMR just like the Gtr2 VR are perfect.
    But somebody on RD with the Gtr2 version also talked about distortion when turning the head with a Rift S

4. Sparten

Sparten New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I will likely not be able to fix ui label scaling without access to the source as i can only do static analysis on the reversed code a s steam protection "prevents" me from live debugging.
    I have not tested which window sizes works but i run 1680x1050, here is a image of my gfx settings for reference.
    upload_2020-12-4_6-42-2.png

Regarding facebook headsets, I have an idea on how to fix the convergence issue thats reported but just like @mr_belowski I only have Index and a og. Vive to test on so i can not promise anything.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

Its exiting instantly before even loading.
    Running a 1080 Ti + HTC Vive Prop with latest drivers, anything else I need to edit?

Attached Files:

6. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Despite having some fps problems with larger fields (especially at the start) VR runs quite good. I'm really astonished that it feels quite natural already.

7. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

GuVna, I get that behaviour but only if steam isn't running (so steam vr can't be launched). Can'r think what else it could be

8. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

Im Running Steam VR (i.e. looking through the VR headset through its SteamVR Home) and executing the steam shortcut through a desktop view window, i.e. :

steam://rungameid/431600

It runs the game for a split second in its cinema like screen then just leaves.

Am I executing the game incorrectly for it to work?

9. mr_belowski

should be OK. What happens if you just double click on AMS.exe in the install folder without the desktop view running?

10. Serta Farenz

Serta Farenz Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm clearly doing something wrong here, as I can't get AMS1 to start on VR.
    All this using an Oculus Rift - so maybe other "rifters" can chime in and help.
    Crew Chief Plugin Version: 1.0.2.0

- I start SteamVR (which starts the Oculus software automatically)
    - have AMS set up how you see in the image
    AMS1VR1.png

If I now start AMS, it opens up in Theater Mode and I have the flat image, only in Theater Mode.
    If I disable Theater Mode for AMS in the Steam Properties for it, i does not show anything on the Rift and displays the sim only on the desktop.
    Steam also tells me: AMS does not support VR, it will run on the desktop

What am I missing here?

TIA for any help!

11. F_B

Sorry to ask but have you copied / changed the files in the zip into the mentioned folders?
    I have a Rift CV1 and everything works. I also don’t have to start Steam VR manually it starts when I launch AMS.

12. Serta Farenz

Yes, I did. No hurt in asking :)

Turns out that - for me - I have to start the AMS.exe in the folder and not thru the steam App.

But now it works! It's a hack, but a clever one that works most of the time (Super Trucks at night - not so much, but I'm not protesting)

• Like Like x 1
  13. F_B

Good that it works for you now.
    I’m astonished by this VR mode for AMS1…works quite good already for a beta. Now I can race my beloved CART Extreme mod again in VR. :)

14. mr_belowski

when you say "not so much" please be specific about the problems you're having and the hardware you're using so we can look into these issues. Are you seeing tracking issues? Distorted view?

15. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

Ok so yes with my HTC Vive pro, I had to run the AMS.exe directly with SteamVR not loaded.

Trying to launch it like a game not compatable with VR (i.e. mimic a bigscreen) normally will not work for now. Must be run as an executable, not a steam shortcut, if that helps anyone having the same issue I had

My next problem, I have the issue where I can't access the " > " (Continue OK) button on the bottom right of the menus. & Yes I've lowered the resolution, all the way down to 800x600, still no luck :(

Attached Files:

16. mr_belowski

have you posted the wrong screenshot there? There's no '>' button on that menu screen

17. Serta Farenz

Thanks for asking!

I've updated my sig with the newest hardware on my system. If you need further information please let me know. VR system is an Oculus Rift.

Don't read this as a bug report yet, just a first impression.
    The framerate dropped visibly compared to Barcelona short during the day on LMPs and the Reliant Robin mod (Yeah, I wanted to test how well mods do. Not that I expected any issues but you never know...)

Now, I wanted a first impression with the Super Trucks and chose Adelaide. Somehow my last race was at night and AMS chose late evening / night for the race, and the frame rate dropped significantly. It was more a Dias-Show and less AMS. I didn't have anything open to show me the frame rate so I'm not able to give you exact data.

I'm willing to test anything you'd like to give you more precise information, so ask away and I'll see to it you get any info you need.

18. mr_belowski

so the issues were frame rate at night?

Are you seeing the same image distortion, FoV issue and head position tracking issues other Rift users are seeing? I shouldn't look like a hack at all, if the maths is all correct is should look just like a native VR implementation once you're on track

19. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

I got it working... yes I got confused on where the > button is on certain menus :S

This is amazing, for a beta this is quite impressive!

20. mr_belowski

what headset are you using? Does everything look entirely correct when on track, or are there tracking issues or image distortion issues?