1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cars have power steering?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Dec 6, 2020.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I've searched but haven't found any info, does anyone know what cars had/have power steering in AMS 2?
    I'm mainly interested in the "fictional" formula cars but it would be great to know more details about all cars in AMS 2.
    How heavy should the steering be in those old animals?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This would be nice to include in the vehicle info screen along with electronics aids etc

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

Modern IndyCars still don't have power steering. Those would certainly be interesting if they could get the physics right.

4. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

+1 I hope some day they do something like this.. It wouldn't take much to do..

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. 2ndLastJedi

But with the shifting type also , paddle or stick for sequential ;) Pretty obvious for some cars but not so for others like Sprint race or some of the P class cars.
    ams2_vehicle_sel_Ui_sug (1).jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Coanda

For sure mate that would be sweet..

• Like Like x 1
  7. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope you know how power steering works:
    It makes turning more easy in standstill because it supports the steering force.
    But if your car is rolling, it stiffens the steering and, that is the highest difference between a non power steered car, it damps strokes and vibrations coming from the road to the steered wheels.
    That's the reason why (i.e. in F1) it looks so wild and nervous back in earlier years (pre 1990) where most cars didn't have had power steering. It's not a wilder driving or more nervous cars...
    If you have the chance to drive a street car without power steering on higher speed you will feel that the steering wheel shakes more and that turning is very more easy.
    So, the difference should not be in force but how nervous your steering wheel is on higher speed or rough roads.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

I'm a mechanic with over 25 years working on all ages , makes and models, I have a fair idea of how power steering works ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. alink

Sorry, I didn't want to bother you. But then, why should be the steering of the old animals more heavy? I think without power steering it is more nervous with an much weaker turn in and less straight line stability. Or what's your knowledge and experience?

10. 2ndLastJedi

I'm not going into this in detail , i haven't the energy!
    Imagine a F1 car with the downforce of today's cars without power steering, even the Hulk would get tired. Indy cars had less downforce and NO power steering and can top over 30NM of force through the wheel! Do you think Lewis is doing 300km races at near qualifying speed if he didnt have power steering??

This is a quote from Alexander Rossi (reserve driver Manor Racing turn Verizon IndyCar Series driver)
    “I'd say 80 percent of my training was cardio and 20 percent was strength in F1, and now it's probably 60 to 70 percent strength and the rest cardio. With (no) power steering and the lateral forces we experience (in Indy cars), you need to have the upper body strength.”

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  11. alink

And that's why they aren't out-powered after race any more.
    Power steering softens the needed steering force but stiffens the steering sensitivity a for more comfort for the driver at the same moment. In earlier years, drivers had to hold their wheel tight not to loose control because the front tires followed significant the bumpy road. Power steering is damping and avoids such movements.
    Maybe I had a language issue, but with 'heavy' you propably didn't mean 'more steering force' needed but effort to keep control over car? Yes, vintage / old cars have to be more exhausting and unpredictable compared to more modern (which are also about 25 - 30 years old) if they have power steering :)

12. alink

By the way, in 1980s with ground effect the downforce was much higher than today...

13. Coanda

Yeah.. Try driving the DW12 in iR at 1:1 on a small wheel rim.. It's brutal. Motec regularly reports spike peaks of 60+ Nm.. :eek:

I try and drive the V8SC at either 0.8:1 or 1:1 if I am feeling strong. That is regularly 20 Nm however on a larger wheel rim it's ok..

• Like Like x 1
  14. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Most 80's/90's cars that had power steering didn't have 'Progressive' power steering. One example I can think of that 'did' was the Porsche 944/968.
    Higher speed = heavier steering (Lesser assistance) for stability and less twitchiness.
    Lower speed = lighter steering (More assistance) for parking/town driving.

• Like Like x 1
  15. alink

Something what is more interessting (for my person), what kind of brakes a car has, steel or carbon. For setting up the brake system this is a significant point to know. Further it would be great to have a torque / power chart of the engine as it was in GTR and GTR2. This would be helpful to set up the gearing correctly.
    I think, knowing if car has power steering or not, maybe it is interessting if REIZA is simulating FFB correctly but doesn't really have an effect on car setup. There is always the chance to tweak the FFB of the controler if force is to high / low...