1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Popping On Certain Cars = Low FFB

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Nov 2, 2020.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I've gone through four (4) different sound cards trying to cure the audio popping but no luck. The audio popping only occurs in AMS2, none of my other sims.

I started with an Asus Xonar DX PCIe sound card. I ran Latency Mon and I tried all the "fixes" I found on Google but nothing worked. Then I switched to my onboard Realtek. Same problem. So then I tried the USB DAC that came with my Logitech Pro X headphones. No luck. So I went out and bought an XtremPro X1 USB DAC + headphone amp 24bit/96khz. Amazing sound but still audio popping in AMS2.

The cars that have audio popping are: Modern Mini, BMW M1, McLaren GT3.

Now here's the weird thing: The FFB feels very weak on the cars with audio popping even though I haven't changed anything. I know that sounds crazy, but the torque feels much lower on those cars. If I switch to a car that has no popping, the FFB feels normal. So I dunno guys. Hopefully the devs can fix the audio because I can't drive those cars like that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

FWIW, I don't hear any popping in the M1 through my headset. It is currently my go-to car...

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Im sorry to say it but the problem is in your end.
    If this issue was caused by something general issue in AMS2 then other users would also report it.
    Irritating - yes.
    But Reiza is (probably) unable to solve an issue specific on your PC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

I can't say anything about the ffb observations, but i can assure you that no amount of soundcards will fix the audio crackling on the mini. You can cleary hear that even on gameplay videos, so it's the game, probably some clipping in the audio samples. Just like the sprint car by the way, it's the worst in this regard.

Not sure about the M1, it has some crackling but i did find it bearable. Never tried the McLaren.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jefka

Jefka New Member

I definately have sound popping on the Sprint car aswell, always have had since day 1 that car appeared. Enough to make me not drive that car, shame since it's great. Not sure about the Mini or M1. Didn't notice any ffb effect though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

OK if the problem is caused by the individual cars audio samples then I take my remark above back.
    Because as I did read the OP it sounds like the sound problems in his mentioned cars could also be experienced more generally.
    Sorry :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  7. moefinley

moefinley New Member

I have audio popping too

8. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

The Ultima GTR Race also has pops, It's Like what LP's Have, It's not Enough to stop me Playing, But it is Distracting over my Headphones.

J

• Like Like x 1
  9. psone

psone Guest

Yeah there's definitely some clipping going on in a few of the cars. I'm sure it'll get sorted at some point. Audio updates in the not too distant future were mentioned in the November Dev Update. Its one of those things where if you're particularly sensitive to it, it'll absolutely do your head in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice find! Lets see what Reiza sees in the code.

11. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am also experiencing popping and crackling on several cars during the mid-rpm range.
    all the GT3 cars and the worst is JWC mini.
    I've tested several other sims, games, and videos and the problem is only happening in AMS2

HyperX USB headset I've test with 7.1 virtual surround sound enabled and disabled

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

Didn't get the popping in the ultima last night, Did they fix it already?

J

13. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

I'm getting this crackling sound too when turning corners in the F1 classic gen 3.

I feel like it could be wheel spin? Or some sliding I'm not sure. But I get no ffb from it.

Its very similar to the sound you hear when you don't change gear fast enough and hit max revs.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I have been reporting pops and audio static since release over in the beta forum, @Domagoj Lovric is working through it and looks to be able to repeat the issue but would like reports on which cars, what rpm and throttle application is used when popping occurs and any other settings or ways to reproduce it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah for me it comes from either engine rpm, very obvious with many Ai around also or from tyre slip. Find cars and report it tagging @Domagoj Lovric.
    Hopefully he will pop in here and comment what he needs from us to help solve this issue.

• Like Like x 2
  16. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

I've just added it to the issues thread.

I'm finding it on the F1 classic gen 3 2 car... On Imola and Interlagos. Funnily though it doesn't do the noise on the historic Monza track or Portuguese track cascaide (can't remember how to spell it).

@Domagoj Lovric

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Just running Interlagos in the F1 classic gen 3 type 2 car, I get the noise bad during practice on championship, but not getting it on a time trial at the moment.

Not sure whether it's pot luck anymore, or types of game / track. I'll keep testing.

@Domagoj Lovric

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. 2ndLastJedi

Is the G3M2 giving you a static crackle or a loop type pop every few seconds? I noticed in all F Classics I was getting a fairly constant static crackle, like a out of tune radio type crackle?

What audio device do you use?

19. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Yeah that's the car I'm in mate. I'm using vr. It's like a static crackle, it's very similar to the noise when you hit top revs and don't change gear, but you get it whilst turning mostly.

I'm getting it on certain tracks in certain game modes. I've just used the car at Monza in a multiplayer championship and never heard the noise once!

20. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I had severe audio popping with the Gen1 f-USA CARS.

• Agree Agree x 1