1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Cheap Seafood

Cheap Seafood New Member

Grass is off

2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Posting you settings would help. Otherwise we are guessing.

3. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member AMS2 Club Member

Same here. i7 9700 @ 4.900mhz and a Nvidia 3090 > 80 FPS Rift-s,

And in the Race, there
    keep coming a lot off stutterings and juddering
    periodically. Otherwise it runs quite smoothly.

4. cargofast

cargofast New Member

Crew chief in the meantime

• Like Like x 1
  5. delfosm

delfosm New Member AMS2 Club Member

The default "100%" resolution setting in SteamVR is more than double the actual resolution of the displays. To correct this, load Steam VR, open the settings and adjust the "Per Eye Resolution" to get it as close to 2160x2160 as possible, around 50%. You can then increase or decrease this figure until most games run well, you can then further refine this for each game individually by clicking the "Per-Application Video Settings" button, allowing you to run some games at a higher or lower resolution to account for how well optimised they are.

6. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Strange, I always thought 100% is the native resolution of the hardware whereas more or less is super sampling (up-/downsampling).
    At least for me everything lower than 100% looks bad and not natural...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

3080 and the G2,
    I have the steam resolution to 100%,,( if left at auto steam will set it to 144%, to much)
    Roughly 3100 x 3000 at 100%, cant remember exactly,
    That allows for the barrel distortion, and gives a 1.1 display of the g2,
    Now this game is a performance hog I will give it that,
    I dont use any MSAA or any AA,
    It makes the image look soft, I lose all the sharpness,and causes the cars to ghost a little,
    I also turn off shadows and low reflections,
    I hope in the future it will get better but for now visuals look ok but not amazing, maybe we need a 4080 lol,
    Unless anyone here knows of any more tricks:)

8. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

There is also a lot of conflicting information flying around, with HP officials claiming that there is no bug and people should stick to 100% in SteamVR.

9. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

From my experience you should stick to 100%, unless you have a older gpu then reduce it for performance, the problem lies in that steam on auto will set it to high, on my 3080 it was auto setting 144%, I could see it in fpsvr,
    All of which should be done on a per game basis, as HL alyx for example is so bloody well made I can play it at 144%

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

With my waterblock for the 3080 arriving soon and the G2 hopefully being delivered before christmas i will basically have the same setup.

Bit of a bummer to read that this already struggles with AMS2 :eek:

11. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Yes pal I was left very underwhelmed, I thought it was going to be the dream setup, sadly not, I'm not sure how much of this can be helped with drivers form nvidia, or if Reiza are able to optimise it any more, I would like to run some MSAA but as I say, the image loses it sharpness and causes some werid ghosting issues on the other cars

12. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fortunately you can increase sharpness in an ini-file which doesn’t cost performance but helps picture quality a lot...

13. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Yes mate I'm going to try this tomorrow, where was it again, I've forgot?
    Cheers

14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Early laps using a new RTX 3070 seem solid enough but, I haven't increased settings much or tried in heavy weather yet. I haven't noticed any slow-down in any title thus far but, the Index has run very smooth (pushing less pixels :p) with my old GPU too, for the most part.

I do still notice some flickering pixels (Ghosting?) at the front of the cars at times but, seems less noticeable with the RTX (Latest driver).

15. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Ok update, for me using G2 and 3080
    I'm getting somwhere with AMS2
    I'm now cranking the MSAA to medium with a very clear and sharpe image, and shadows are back on,
    And with steam resolution at 100%,
    In the rain is truly a amazing sight in the gt cars,
    So where was I going wrong,
    WMR motion reprojection is now set to auto, that has helped me with the ghosting issue I was having with MSAA,
    Next MSAA caused the image for me to be soft, I forgot about the sharpening trick in the document files, I set it to about 1.6, and wow is all I'm going to say

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think those are just about optimum settings for that combination. I've been setting up my G2/3080 combo this weekend and what you have described above is just about what I have settled on as the best compromise that still gives a reliable 90fps. I think the only difference is I'm running as close as I can to 2160x2160 per eye in steam VR

17. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Probably the sensible option, mines 45 fps due to the re projection, it's not to bad but I am taking a performance hit I wish I did not have to for better visuals, I think the g2 is before it's time, at least for sim racing, were getting there, but not quite

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

Thanks for all the insights, i will probably cancel my g2 order and go for a valve index then!

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. psone

psone Guest

@F1-Dave Any chance you would mind trying out 60hz with reprojection off. Just curious how that feels to you. I have a G2 on the way, hopefully in the not too distant future, still trying to get my hands on a 3080 though...sigh.

20. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have never noticed before but with my new reverb G2 when i move my head forward the whole car moves forward instead of me getting closer to the steering wheel, Pcars 2 is the same, ACC is fine though. I do not remember it being like this in my with my RiftS headset but could be mistaken. is this normal behaviour in VR for this engine? seems weird not to able to get close to the steering wheel when i move my head forward?

edit:Looks like it was an issue with not enough light in the room, seems to work fine with a light on for proper tracking. Phew!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1