1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Speckle

Speckle New Member

Likewise, I've not partaken in the hotlapping for a while now as I think I got a bit burnt out with all the laps I was putting in!

Thanks for the link, that's awesome. I'm looking forward to trying those out over the weekend, and I'll use your combo too as I love racing at Oulton Park :)

I did find some success with the GT3 Porsche last night. Only thing I couldn't solve was high speed oscillations towards the end of the main straight at Imola. Everywhere else on the track it felt quite rewarding to drive. I then jumped in the Porsche cup, thinking the same settings would feel similar - erm, nope. The bounciness is just insane - how did anyone test that and think 'yup, that feels like a Porsche racing car' ?!. Really hope it gets fixed soon.

2. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Hi Karsten!

Would you consider commenting on the variables (and the parameters) of the rack settings?
    Im not sure what many of those exactly do, and with the paramteres i dont know which ranges (if any) make sense and what they do.

Now trying out your newest creation :)

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey bazziboy,

I will add more comments in the next version. There are a few things I'm trying to adjust for more smooth drive & at the same time without losing details, so will probably post it in a day or 2.

-K

• Like Like x 4
  4. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi again Karsten. Just noticed that in your latest file you have Details listed twice. Is that intentional?

5. Karsten Hvidberg

Thanks Michael,

Fixed it in the latest & cleaned up the variables a little too.

6. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Thanks a lot for explaining most of the variables, that really helps.
    One question: in the Road Features section many parameters are integers (1),
    but i guess these are handled as floats? So for instance bumps_smoothing 1
    is handled as (bumps_smoothing 1.0)? When i raise this value to 1.5
    is the smoothing stronger or weaker? Does raising values always strengthen the
    effect with all parameters? I raised the oversteer_scale to 1.5 and i think its
    stronger now, so this is good. But with (change_of_balance_feel 1) #Feeling of balance shifting. The faster it shifts, the stronger the feeling. Mostly felt around center when turning left/right
    i wouldn't know if 0.5 is faster or 1.5 is faster, if you know what i mean :)

P.S. driving Stockcar 2020 around Nords is fantastic. I'm not so sure about the
    porsche GT3 though. May have to with the default setups and different FFB per
    car as many mentioned and of course with the car itself.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey bazziboy,

Yes, they are all floats. Anything "smoothing" will be more smooth the higher the value. Raising "change_of_balance_feel" will make the sensation stronger.
    Reg. the over-steer, if you are changing it to actually strengthen it in general, not just for making it match well with the momentum rack, you might also want to change this line:

(balance (* balance vel_mag_k_pull (+ 1 (* 2 over_steer))))
    to:
    (balance (* balance vel_mag_k_pull (+ 1 (* 2 over_steer_scale over_steer))))

Sounds great, will have to give the stockcar 2020 a spin too :)

-K

• Like Like x 1
  8. Al666

Al666 New Member

Hello Karsten,
    Three Days ago, my Reverb G2 arrived and with your fantastic FFB-File AMS 2 feels perfect now!
    THX a lot
    Cheers, Albert

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Congrats Albert!

Wish it was me & a G2! :)
    Hopefully it will work great for years!

-K

10. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Karsten Hvidberg, sorry if I answer late but I didn't have time to play to try your advice (thanks again for your availability). Today I was finally able to replay using your latest version "Silver Raw 6.6.5.26 - Momentum Rack 4.5" (Experimental - Dec 8 2020) ... as I told you my main problem was the floating sensation especially on the front wheels and as you said you in your last revisions this aspect has been much improved in your custom files, indeed for the first time I had the feeling of where I was throwing the front wheels ... I had to reset my brain and I started from scratch to find the best values suitable for my feelings ... tests all done at Nordschleife 2020 with many cars especially with covered wheels such as GT3, GT4, PorsheCup, Sprintrace, Stock 2020 and 2019, CopaMontana, Super V8, P1, P2 and P3 and finally, with open wheels, I only tried the F-3 cars (Dallara). Tomorrow if I have time I will try the others such as Gen1, 2 and 3 as well as the Reiza formula ... but let's go to the sensations.

Strangely this time I started by setting the LFB (resetting the other values) and I climbed until the center of the steering wheel seemed full and constant on all speeds and in the curve ... I was fine with 50 (I used to use a value of 30 but with a higher gain of 80-85).

Then I switched to GAIN and increased the values until the hardness of the steering did not bother me or allowed me to be precise, therefore I reached the value of 55 (max 60) ... beyond that I didn't like it anymore (with a LFB already high of 50) as it became difficult to control the car and above all to be precise when entering, traveling and exiting the curve.

I reset the FX to taste between 70-85 and finally I left the Damper at 0.

All the coherence of how the forces work and also and above all on the front wheels has improved for my Logitech g920.... ;)

Resume...
    New value: GAIN 55 - LFB 50 - FX 85 - Damper 0
    Before it was: GAIN 85 - LFB 35 - FX 75 - Damper 0

So I think you are right, your latest revisions of the customized files improve the sensitivity on the front, give more sensations and effects and greatly dampen the defects of the game both for the pendulum effect and for the physics in general unfortunately still immature .. . thanks a lot as always and sorry for my english!!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Wow!
    Those are some pretty interesting settings, will have to try something similar 8)

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Tried these on my G25 and indeed the feeling is better. Thanks for bringing up some interesting thoughts on this matter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg
    I finally got around to giving your custom profile for Pcars2 (based on AMS2) a go and it really does work great, best ffb I've experienced in that title. Well done sir.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Michael Enright

@Karsten Hvidberg
    I know your custom file has flatspots in it, but i dont seem to be abe to feel them. I have raised the flatspts line in the file, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe I need to completely delete AMS2 Documents Folder and start again. The rest of the effects feel very good. Thank you.

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Michael,

I remember them being very obvious in the V10, so maybe try and make a bad flatspot on that one to check?
    I can try tomorrow too.

-K

16. Michael Enright

Thanks Karsten. I have tried with F3, Super V8 and GT3's. I will try the V10 next time I'm on and let you know.

17. psone

psone Guest

@Michael Enright they're very noticeable on the 2020 Stock Car, not as pronounced as with default FFB but with that car at least you should definitely feel them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have a link saved for it I don't think... I'll try and dig for it later today if I have some time. I have seen it though before, so I know that it does exist.

Good night do I have a lot to catch up on, it seems! I crushed the tip of my finger a few weeks back and still can't race, but I'm hoping to get back at it here soon. Lots of new stuff to try when I do though!

19. cargofast

cargofast New Member

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

• Like Like x 3