1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. ZeferinoCoutinho

ZeferinoCoutinho Zef_mirror_man-zefthebestofcour

Guys? Can anyone advise me about best settings for the Oulus Quest 2 using USB Cable Connection??

2. lensman45

lensman45 Member

It's going to depend on your hardware.
    As a guide here are my settings (assuming latest Quest v23 update)
    Quest 2 PC app settings. 80hz. resolution 4848 x 2448
    Aniso 2x - MSAA Medium - Reflections High - Enviro Low - Car detail High - Track detail High - Pit Crew Player only - Shadows Low - Mirror No - Motion blur Off - Rendered frames 1
    my specs in sig below

3. ZeferinoCoutinho

Thanks, Lens (A.C. Clark fan??)

I´ve got a Predator Helios 300 with a RTX 2070 Card, and I7 10th generation processor

4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Check with EVGA. They have a queue system for GPU orders. I was able to get an RTX 3070 within a month from release. Granted, supply vs. demand may be different for the 3080.

At least you can get in line and have a better chance. You are under no obligation to buy but, once notified of availability, you only have 8 hours to complete the purchase.

5. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I can see your CPU making a huge difference as I've run into unexpected issues as well. What I mean by that is you don't really expect VR being so heavy on the CPU before you see the frame times (with fpsVR for example).

I have an RTX3080 and a Ryzen 3600. My headset is a Rift CV1 so an easy performance target relative to newer headsets. Although you do have to run quite a lot of supersampling with a CV1 to make it appear nice. That does remove some of the easiness from the GPU's point of view.

Anyway you'd think that I'd be running graphics at high to ultra and everything is awesome? Not so, because the Ryzen is not a massive gaming performer. It's a very good CPU for most gaming, but very high refresh rate and VR seem to be its achilles' heels. Driving around on your own is easy enough for CPU frame times, but a full grid adds another 2-4 milliseconds which combined with a heavy track like Nurburgring will take my CPU frame times over 11 milliseconds. I was seeing 13 to 14 milliseconds in my testing. It goes below 11 in some areas of the track, but then goes back above it. Meanwhile my GPU frame times are fine.

I can of course lower strategic settings (track detail, car detail, grass, shadows?). Even that doesn't fully remove my frame time issues though. And I also have other VR sims giving me frame drops that are traceable to the CPU. AMS2 is just the tip of the iceberg and relatively performant in VR. You can probably guess which sims I'm talking about. So a new CPU it is... :eek:

(Mind you a smarter PC builder than me would've gone for an Intel back in May. Or would queue up for a Ryzen 5600x if building today.)

6. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

I will give it a go later mate,
    I got a 3080 fe using telegram stock alert app
    3080 PartAlert Europe

7. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Ok mate I tried it,
    100% steam resolution, MSAA Medium,
    3080 is able to hold a solid 60fps,
    Its Is the best I've seen the game look, no ghosting cars at all, all feels very solid,
    But........, as soon as you turn on 60hz there is a horrible flicker that is present, in both the wmr home, steam home, and in the games,
    I've no idea how to get rid of that if at all possible?
    Cheers

8. psone

psone Guest

@Dean Ogurek Thanks for the suggestion, can't hurt to add my name to the list.

@F1-Dave Nice one, I used it in the past with the odyssey+ it felt more than acceptable to me, 90hz felt smoother of course, but 60hz wasn't at all uncomfortable. It allowed for decent graphics settings and smooth gameplay. Then for some unknown reason Microsoft decided to enforce a reduced field of view with 60hz, I sold the O+. They eventually changed it back to full FOV.

It's a another one of those person specific things where some just cant get on with it and other people can't notice the difference at all. Would be interested to see what you think.

9. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

I was quite sensitive to this flicker I mentioned,
    Was more noticable in the open wheel cars, as the sky was a little uncomfortable for me to look at,
    I wish they would at a 72hz mode as that might just be the sweet spot perhaps

• Like Like x 1
  10. Al666

Al666 New Member

Hello everybody,
    with my Reverb G2 / 1080ti I set Steam VR Resolution to 44% to get stable 90 FPS.
    It looks fine to me, with 100% it is closer to 30 FPS nearly unplayable...
    44% is nearly the native Resolution of the G2 so Steam VR is quite strange with the Resolution Settings??
    Cheers, Albert

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

It's not strange, it's supposed to be like that, you are basically undersampling.

The true render resolution is always higher than the display resolution because you are looking through a lens.

This guy explains it pretty good ->

But since even the RTX 3000 can't do 100% SS in some games (like AMS2) you will be fine :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Al666

Al666 New Member

Thx a lot for the link

13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Automobilista 2 is the first one I don't feel the need to supersample with my CV1 at 150% thanks to the XML trick. I keep SS at 1.0. The picture is perfectly sharp and clear (I set SharpeningStrengh to an huge 2.9, not for everyone taste I guess). That's great as I only have a GTX1080 and can raise up all my other settings.

14. ZeferinoCoutinho

Yo...:):) Hum... as I haven´t read the whole thread from start to finish... I´m a bit uninformed:confused::confused:... and so I don´t know where to find the "XML trick" that you´ve mentioned...:D:D:D Please.. Please... could you say where I can find info about it?:whistle::whistle::whistle::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Please??? :(:(:(:(:D:D

15. radkappe

radkappe New Member AMS2 Club Member

search for
    c:\Users\....\Documents\Automobilista 2 Beta\
    or
    c:\Users\....\Documents\Automobilista 2\

and edit the file
    graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml

look for
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="1.585000" />

and enter your new value. Higher means more sharpening ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. ZeferinoCoutinho

Thanks, indeed, Rad! :)

And the other variables remain unchanged??
    (As:
    "SuperSampling" supersampling="0" />
    "LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />
    "VRSuperSampling" vrsupersampling="0"

"SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000") ???

17. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

That video made an awful lot of sense. I tweaked my settings and I know that motion smoothing isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but with the reverb G2 in this game, it works beautifully. A lap around Oulton in my reverb G2 with my settings shown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. zero71

zero71 New Member

Bought a G2 to try with this and never really had all that great an experience. Nice headset, nice screen, problematic getting it working, and crappy controllers and tracking. Anyway, returned it and bought a Quest 2, and really the visuals can get pretty close to the G2 - neither are running native though.

But this, in VR, on Quest 2, it’s just awesome. I want to maximise frame rate to a locked 90fps and have found a mixture of low and medium settings work well with my 2070S and the Quest render res set at 1.3. I run just 5 cars, enough to get a nice track day experience, but I may bump that up when we finally get a 3080 - but I’d rather get the render res nearer native 1.7 if I can.

So much fun jumping from car to car and really feeling like your actually in that car. Personal fav remains the Metalmoro MRX.

Runni 45 FPS with smoothing just made me sick. But 90fps just feels great.

• Like Like x 1
  19. keem85

keem85 New Member

Request Title: Remove personal avatar
    Description: Give us options to remove the player avatar without removing the opponents avatars.
    Benefits: In VR we don't have to see fake arms, which is very dislocating when driving

20. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Interesting point of view (excuse pun ). I think it adds to the immersion and to me it would feel weird to look down and see an empty cockpit.
    Each to his own though :)

• Agree Agree x 7