1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logitech G27 off center (a few degrees). Possible fix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haris1977, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Greetings

I am using a - second hand - g27 for quite a time now. I ve recently seen that when the wheel calibrates, it stops a few degrees (~5 degs) to the left. That makes my driving (in all games) feels a little awkward, as the wheel goes straight if you keep it a little to the left (~5 degs).

Can this be an encoder issue?

I opened the wheel but couldnt see anything with the encoder as i had to disassemble the whole unit.

Image here

IMG-2255

(The black line is the perfect straight, the red what it is after calibration)

2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Maybe your wheel slipped a notch on the gears, my G25 did that once after I fitted a bigger rim.

3. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

How will i know where is the exact notch to put the wheel on the gear? Any advice?

4. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

Looks like a encoder issue, i had similar problem in my G27. But you may try check the sensor, which is look like a LED, where the encoder stays in between.

There are a minimum and max distance to be. If they are out of this distance, the wheel will not calibrate right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I ll have that in mind thanks. One other question: do i have to be careful how to reposition the encoder? Or smth else i will have to be caruful when i re assemble the wheel?

7. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I just opened my wheel again: here is my encoder

Encoder cracks

It seems that it has 2 small fissures / cracks. So is this my problem? Can those little cracks be my off center issue?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, very likely. (also check, if the encoder wheel and its shaft are sitting totally fixed and not wobbling around, but at least one of the two cracks could definetly be the issue)
    The breaking encoder wheel is a problem since the Logitech MOMO (i have 2 retired Logitech MOMO wheels here with this exact issue). All G wheels also suffer from this. There are spare encoder wheels, made of metal, that you could get, no clue, if still avaiable, but very likely.^^

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Are you talking about these cracks?
    Isnt it possible to squize some 3sec glue into the crack and then press the encoder wheel tightly together while the glue is hardening?
    I mean it dont cost much and would (probably) not destroy the the encoder wheel.

Or as plan B.
    Isnt it possible to slightly turn the encoder wheel to compensate for the alightment error?
    Encoder-cracksb.jpg

10. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

There are 2 small cracks as seen in my pic below. The blue one and the red one. But i think the blue one is the major one, causing my problems (if any) and that is because the crack continues until the slot (yellow rectangle). I have already used some glue.

Well, to be 100% true, my "alignment error" is too small and lies within the deadzone of my wheel. G27 (i dont know about g29 or latest g923 wheel) always had a dead zone of about ~10 degrees (5 degrees in each side) so...i am not 100% sure that my encoder is failing.

Encoder-cracksb.jpg

11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The G27 shouldn't have any steering signal deadzone by default, it's a fairly precise wheel, usually (it's a series, used by many hotlap aliens and in monstrous laptimes until today :D). It's very likely your encoder wheel might be the cause for all that stuff. Try the glue fix or replacement and if it still shows a deadzone, maybe further steps are required later, but right now, this seems to be the main problem.^^

You can also load DXtweak2 and see, if you can remove any software related deadzone with it, that might have occured for some reason.

12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

• Like Like x 1