AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a brilliant development. I am running a Vive Pro and despite removing/renaming the d3d9_2.dll and disabling the SweetFX filters, I still get the odd 2-3 second freeze from time to time whilst racing/practicing. Everything else seems to work perfectly fine.

2. Fushida

Fushida New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday I also suffered the 3-4 freeze issue, tried deleting the d3d9_2.dll and after that the sim didn't start anymore. It worked fine after putting the dll back in the AMS1 folder. (Valve Index).

3. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can anyone suggest some help here please - no matter what resolution I set in the config, I just cannot access any icon down the right side of the screen - which includes the 'start' arrow'. SO I am unable to get past the car and track selection menu.

I have ticked windowed and widescreen in the config app.

Thanks for any suggestions.

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

can you reach it with the mouse but not click it, or does the mouse pointer not reach the button? If it doesn't reach the button, is it because pointer can't get far enough over, or far enough down?

5. keith windsor

Hi Mr Belowski, thanks for replying,
    All the icons are fully visible, so I can reach them with the mouse, but am not able to click the right most column of cars or the 'start' arrow.

EDIT correction, I have found that the arrow IS clickable in 1280x720 res!

If I use this res, does it affect the res that the game runs in the VR headset?
    (I have Oddyssey plus with res of 1600 x 1440 per eye).
    Thanks

6. keith windsor

Update - it is working in other resolutions, IF I start it from the AMS.exe in the root folder, AND WITHOUT steamVR open, then it automatically opens steamVR and runs.

It looks to be working for me in 1440 x 900, but it looks like anything higher (for example 1600x1024 all the way up to 3840x1200) causes the right hand side icons to be unclickable.

I'm not sure if the actual resolution in the VR headset is affected at all though?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  7. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

Believe the resolution only effects the Menus while in-game resolution are rendered to headset resolution.
    See no difference on in-game resolution regardless of config resolution.

8. keith windsor

Thanks Bjarne that's what I was hoping, I've only sat in the cockpit so far but it looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to trying it later.

9. Tambe

Tambe Member

Yes

10. keith windsor

I get a freeze too but I don't believe it is anything to do with the VR app, and mine is happening during driving but not when hitting escape.

I'm absolutely gutted as this VR mod is fantastic, congrats to the makers.
    I don't know why but AMS1 is just the best sim to drive in, and it's great to try all the old mod tracks in VR.

But sadly I get (seemingly) random freezes of about 3 seconds while driving in any session. It makes the game completely unplayable as I may or may not be out of control when the game unfreezes.

I'm pretty sure this problem arose just as AMS1 came to the end of it's active life and no one ever posted a fix for it, at least not that I've been able to find.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mr_belowski

are you saying these freezes happen even without the VR mod?

12. keith windsor

Sorry to hijack the thread with this issue, after more testing today, yes the freeze happened this afternoon without the VR mod installed, so I'm almost certain it's the same issue I had a couple of years ago & it's still there.

(I'm now in the process of testing and trying to find the cause so that I can enjoy your VR mod).

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mr_belowski

I've definitely seen this issue a couple of times while playing in VR, but I've just had a 2 hour VR session and not seen it happen a single time. It's confusing

14. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried disconnecting your PC from the internet whilst you play? I thought AMS was messed up on my system, but then I saw in task manager that Windows update had been downloading gigabytes worth of updates causing the long stutters...
    It doesn't have the decency to let you know either....

15. BazzaLB

Thanks for posting. Yes I am getting the Freeze in practice/race too. I see its not VR related. I only just reinstalled AMS1 because of this mod (brilliant effort btw) and had not played AMS1 for a very long time so had not noticed this previously.

It only happens with AMS1 so I dont believe its windows update or anything like that. I havent been able to put my finger on it either. It is pretty random. Originally I thought it might relate to replay data being written to disk and causing the pause, but I cant see where to turn off replays in order to test the theory.

16. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Please guys, can you try this?
    Disable replays recording and time progression, test them at once and then togheter for better results...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mr_belowski

if anyone who's having regular and reproducable stuttering / freezing would like to test an update, I've just uploaded a new build (same URL) which modifies the order in which we're doing some of the internal magic. We're not sure if this will help or not - it looks promising but without additional testing we can't be sure

18. keith windsor

Yes, I had these same thoughts, and I'm getting confused too - I'm now doubting myself that I saw it yesterday outside of VR, but I am certain I gave up playing this my favourite sim because of this freeze a couple of years ago, so I am assuming(?) it is the same freeze.

Yesterday:
    I've reinstalled AMS1 (deleted ALL AMS1 doc folders);
    I've changed my install drive so it's on the same as Steam in case it didn't like being on a separate drive; (though it's still not on the same drive as the userdata folder).
    In the player file (in c: docs folder) I have turned off numerous things, including recording of replays, and anything to do with data transmission to motion rigs;
    In the steam config, I've lowered the aa & sound settings to minimum;
    In Nvidia panel, I've turned everything down, or off, or to performance;
    In game I've turned off radio spotter, and lowered shadows & special effects, and switched off all HUD displays. And I've temporarily removed D3D9_2.dll
    In Windows I've made sure my USBs are not disabling, and power plan is all at max settings.

The freeze is still there.

Sometimes it seems like it only happens once in a session, & I'd probably live with it if I was sure of that. But I haven't been able to confirm exactly when or how many times in a session.

Thanks Salvatore, I will give this a try during my testing too.

19. keith windsor

Thanks mr_belowski, it'll probably be tonight or tomorrow before I get to it now but I will definitely try it.

20. BazzaLB

nvm. Still freezes... Just very unpredictably. Had an entire 10 lap session after enabling v-Sync without freeze so thought that was it.. but low and behold, after posting here.. Next session had a freeze.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020