1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About BMW M1 Procar

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jukka Karppinen, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen New Member

Procar has always been one of my favourite racers. I know it's still early days but now after few updates i think it's good time to review it a bit in AMS2. Is there any information about wich tyres we have in game? I mean modern or vintage biasply ones?

So far with some alterations to setup (had to soften it a bit), i like "our" M1 already but at the moment it is quite bit too fast compared to real life lap times. For me it feels like it have too much grip under acceleration at corners. From youtube onboard videos Nurburgring GP (fast chicane) real life lap times seems to be around 2:10, while in game it is possible to go under 2 minutes (my bp is around 2:01). I know this is not accurate way to compare lap times but it does give somekind of direction. Interestingly, in R3E lap times were similar (around 2 minutes at nurb GP) before, but after physics update it now matches nearly perfectly on rl lap times there.

Sound is very good but i wish there would be bit more bass and "vibration" on it (that famous in-line six symphony), and it completely lacks of backfiring at the moment but i know sound updates are in pipeline.

Overall it looks pretty good so far, at the moment i feel R3E Procar is still closest to real one physics wise, but difference is not very big and hopefully further updates will close the gap in future.

• Like Like x 4
  2. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Funny I was browsing these on Auto Trader the other day, average price half a million quid. Not a bad investment for anyone that bought one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jukka Karppinen

Indeed, they are "quite" pricey today. Thats why i do lottery every now and then. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Glad to see another fan or 2 and thanks for starting a thread one of my favorite cars. I almost did it when it came out but too many distractions. Tried it last night online (beta) briefly and its feeling even better. Sound, handling, ffb theres a lot to like about this machine. It should have its own league.
    Theres some pics here
    Pictures of the real Cars
    and some vids.
    This 1 popped up this morning, hence a good reason to share. Monaco.

+

+

Enjoy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Maser V6

Not tried it for months there, but reinstalled it Sunday and with the special offer on may buy a pack, I recall doing one of there time competitions in it. lol slow:)

6. Jukka Karppinen

It's even better now with latest updates to tyremodel. Personally i found it takes some time to accept older graphics after switching back to r3e from ams2, but physics and tyremodel are really good especially on historic cars there.

7. Maser V6

Yes,
    Just for kicks last night I did back to back wet race pro car in custom ffb filed pc. & pc2 std ffb ams 2 .-(raceroom r3e was dry though.)
    As much as things go PC1 actually was ahead of its time in graphics and esp rain and livetrack imo, taken other sims a long while to catch up/exceed & with a custom file its suprised me. pc2 even more and as for the choice of historic cars/tracks. Hours of fun Real shame it was never full optimised.
    When ams 2 gets the 4 seasons and the extra colours of ie Autumn leaves at Imola,Nords etc it will be superb..
    Procar cost me many many hours in pc1/pc2
    Willow Springs lol miss that track and others.
    Devs are working their socks off I guess, to get this latest update and Christmas supprise out in next 2 days.

8. TheM4fun

TheM4fun New Member

Did you tried it agaian after yesterday's update? They updated the tyres of Procar. I am not sure If now is better. I was trying the BMW Porcar in Adelaide and after the lap 2 the oversteer is uncontrollable and I am not able to understand why.

9. Maser V6

Glad you asked Q
    Im sure after 1 race.
    In online race most agreed aside from reported 2ng gear.
    First time 1/we 6 aborted session and changed to GT1.
    Rear grip/slip/slide drift ??? Not sure what but more like a drift cart.
    Pro was at some point for a while, before clutch slip update v/good.
    Tyres latish change in updates still needs works imo.
    Great update on the whole for the sim overall, but the individual cars, Pro will need more work.
    Short aborted drive.
    Wed but will try tonight.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  10. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just did a 15 min race with the Procar at Spielberg 1977 and i had a blast. I really love this car now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. John Hargreaves

Apart from 2nd gear now being too short, I'm liking it a lot this week. It moves around on and off throttle in a controllable way, so you can steer it with your right foot, and it feels muscular and angry too. It went through several iterations this week in beta and this is the best feeling version to me. I can see further tweaks coming, but I think we are in safe hands. I haven't had chance to do a longer run yet, so we'll see how that goes later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. TheM4fun

TheM4fun New Member

Did you reset the setup?

13. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes

14. TheM4fun

TheM4fun New Member

Ok, then not sure whats going on. In my side the behaviour is really strange, as I said some strange over steer after lap 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's horrible at Adelaide.

16. John Hargreaves

I'll give it a try there seeing as you disagree so strongly :)

Edit: I think I can see what 'horrible at Adelaide ' might mean. Default setup on the M1 is quite stiff for such a bumpy track, I've been testing on proper racetracks and the setup seems well suited for Spa, Imola etc, but I found at first I was overdriving at Adelaide and, coming out of the corners I was lighting up the rears as the back end was bouncing around, so it was heating them up and I was losing traction/grip as a result. If I was racing the M1 there a lot, I think I'd try and find a more compliant suspension setup than default.
    Once I backed off a bit, started to be a little smoother on corner exits the car came back to me and it was fine, although very bumpy.
    I can't see any inherent bug with it, it's acting as you'd expect to me, in that the setup is wrong for that track and causing the rears to overheat as they bounce around scrabbling for grip.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maser V6

ref 2nd gear.
    1st gear at 2000 not 2500 worth a try and readjust others. not sure if actual gears are correct to figures. (There are differences in current builds also. driving wise& rr end imo)

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Hargreaves

I'm using this currently and it has been better - 1st and 2nd much more usable on track
    M1 gear ratios.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Maser V6

Same. lol. found out the hard way at spa t1 when downshift to 1st and locked up. Never had before, in any pro car sim so lenghtend 1st
    tried main and beta. pc2 ir etc. If you do a rev limit speed check it will show also 1st gear speed lower.
    some ratios match some dont 2nd in ams 2 seems in between ie pc2 default 2nd is 1.611 here it is 1.316 .ir 1.772
    1st pc2 2.417 _1st .ir 2.417 . ams2 1st 2500 plus at 2000 it feels more correct than the numbers.
    (the difference of .o83 from pc2 2.417 and ams2 2500 taken in to account. speed test)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's nothing to do with overdriving or overheating the rears. You can take one of the 90-degree corners in 2nd with minimal throttle input and the diff just snaps open and the rear loses all grip like a shopping cart and round you go. Suspension changes don't help. That to me spells broken.