1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

If you experience similar issues with other titles in VR, it may point to an issue with hardware or your overall graphics configuration. With the Oculus, I agree it's best to bypass Steam VR and run with Native Oculus support wherever possible.

Steam VR works well with HMD's designed around that system but, any conversion process always comes with some loss of efficiency.

2. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Oh man the Quest 2 is the worst newbie VR headset, IMHO, because it doesn't work like a normal VR headsets. Not only do you have to modify the game graphical settings to figure out what works visually without straining your PC, but you have to also control the bitrate of the stream from your PC to the Quest 2 which also impacts the image quality.

So there are 2 places you need to look. The in game graphics setting, which I would turn to Low or OFF for everything, except Textures set to high and SuperSampling set to 1.3.
    Then using the Oculus tool, you'll need to configure the bitrate for the stream.

Best of luck figuring it out.

3. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Tried this tonight but without success. I removed steam vr from pc and used settings as above. Funny thing is if I flip my headset up and look at my monitor in front of me the image looks bang on

thanks for above

Baz

4. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Don’t laugh but I have absolutely no idea what you refer to lol

Thanks for reply

Baz

5. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

For clarification I am connected to pc via oculus link cable (the correct one). any more advice welcome

Regards

6. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Good morning,

I tried project cars 2 and the performance is the same. I think I have something fundamentally wrong in my settings or with monitors running

To confirm when I play in normal mode (not vr) all my settings are on ultra and gameplay is brilliant. I play on 40" tv at 1920x1080x60hz with vsync on and its amazing to the smallest details.

When I enter game in vr the performance, graphics, shimmering, smoothness is terrible. As stated previously when I lift my headset and look at the tv which still runs in the background the image on screen looks perfect and that is with settings being all on low (this however does not transfer to my oculus 2 headset.

Any help is massively appreciated as I really want this to work

Thanks in advance
    Baz

7. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Disconnected my 40" tv from pc but same issue persists. Picture quality is pathetic, completely unplayable with all settings low

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you should open a new thread only for your problem.
    As mentioned before, is the link stable? What's the transfer rate of your link?
    Quest 2 is not a normal VR HMD as it uses another way to transfer the picture.
    SuperSampling in the game VR menu does not help, set it to 1.0 (I think it does nothing atm).

Setting up the game in VR has to be done in VR.
    Use a resolution like 1920x1080 or 1280x720 windowed
    Texture resolution medium, texture filtering 4x, MSAAA low, Post AA off
    Rest of settings set all to low, enhanced mirror off, motion blur off, render frames ahead 2 ( for latency 1 is better)

1. step is to check the transfer speed of the link, maybe you have to change the USB port. BTW: Which link cable did you use? => the transfer speed has to be at least around 2 Gbps.

2. step after the connection is stable and fast enough set up the game as mentioned from me above.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks for reply, I use the official usb3 link cable from oculus at £80. How would I find out the transfer rate of the link?

regards

10. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

THIS!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

In Vr I must go whitout shadow but , in this mode, i can tell i prefer Iracing or AC graphics despite their old graphics engine. New engine , if not optimased are worse than old, whit worst performance for nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I have opened a new thread as was hogging this one

regards

13. Niels

Niels New Member

Question: does Automobilista2 support free/real head movement in VR ?

It doesn't look like it. I can look up, down, left and right, but your head is stuck to a position in the car. I don't experience any sideways or lateral movement. I can't move left to get a better view in the mirrors for example, or lean forward to look closer at the dashboard. Since I use a motion platform I always expect some lateral movement when breaking and accelerating. It feels strange when I don't experience this movement visually in VR.

So, if real/free head movement is possible, can someone explain how to enable this. If not please fix this Reiza. This is a 3D environment... Some limited movement without sticking your head through the roof should be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Sounds like your headset is losing tracking. What headset do you have?
    AMS2 does support 6dof of course like all racing sims.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Niels

Niels New Member

It's a Dell Visor (WMR). No, it is not a tracking issue. Work fine in any other sim (full SteamVR support).
    In AM2 it feels like movement is 'resisted', or compensated. Lateral movements are detected.
    In cockpit view when I move my head forward, instead of the wheel getting closer, the wheel is trying to keep the same distance to my head (moving away from me). And moving backwards the wheel tries to get closer. Same applies to left and right movements.

16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Head-tracking works perfectly in AMS2 using the Valve Index. Prior to that, I used the Oculus CV-1 without issue as well.

17. psone

psone Guest

tracking can be a bit funky with wmr sometimes. In the past I would have this issue with the odyssey+ and rf2. I think order of operations can have a lot to do with it. Try launching AMS 2 from inside WMR home.

18. Donato

Donato Member

you have to launch steamVR, then you have to set the sitting position, you find it at the top left, press the appropriate button.

19. DaWorstPlaya

This is a problem with older 1st gen WMR headsets from my limited experience. The Lenovo WMR HMD has the same problem.

20. DaWorstPlaya

It does if you are on an Oculus headset. Makes a huge difference on the older lower rez headsets. If you are using SteamVR it doesn't work, you have to use SteamVR to set your SuperSampling.