1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camaro SS is broken

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Freeway, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Would love to have a Vette (Z06 could work:)) in the garage but, we're much too practical for that. I just have to fire up my sim-rig to imagine it and then realize, maybe I'm actually living the dream I've always wanted. :p:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

4 months and counting

I nominate this thread as "Most likely to not go away".

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You are correct. If it follows the usual pattern, Reiza will be tweaking and improving the Camaro SS along with every car in the game for years to come.

4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had one a few years ago... Braking was almighty as well as lateral grip... But putting down the power was very tricky. As soon as temperatures were a bit towards the low side or tires not really new it would become very squirrely... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freeway

Freeway Member

Just drove the latest iteration of the GT4 Camaro on Bathurst. Loving it! Also drove the Camaro SS. Still bonkers. I suspect if we could borrow the differential from the GT4 for the SS, though, it might come together. Either way, excellent job on the GT4 Camaro! As a result, purchased the Green Hell so I can really enjoy flogging it.

6. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Camaro in Beta is IMHO perfectly fine now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. Hopefully @Freeway will be happy once it updates to the main release.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Finally! Yes the Camaro now feels like a perfectly reasonable road car. Thanks Reiza!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

I came here to same the same! After the update, the Camaro and Ultima feel AWESOME!!!! Holy Molly!! I hope the guy who originally posted this topic tried it out. Automobilista 2 is just so amazing holy crap!

10. Freeway

Freeway Member

I am the OP and you'll find my comment praising the Camaro GT4 ("Loving it!") a few posts up. I would say, if anything, the current Camaro GT4 borders on being too good. But, it is soooooooo much fun to drive that I don't really care. The Camaro SS, on the other hand, still needs a little work since it tends to rotate on hard braking or hard downshift (even while traveling in a straight line) so there is definitely room for improvement. But, that said, I whole heartedly acknowledge that it is getting better all the time. And, I look forward to being able to try the latest beta version when it becomes part of the retail build.

In the meantime, I wonder if Reiza might be able to update the wheels to match the SS skin on the car.

Long story short: I have no doubt that Reiza will ultimately get it right. And, I am happy to continue flogging the GT4 Camaro (only done a few laps with it at the Green Hell but loving that as well) while waiting for the revised Camaro SS.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

@Freeway Did you try the newly released 1.1.0.0 yet? Truth be told I hadn't played AMS2 in a while so I hadn't had a chance to give the Camaro SS a spin in a while, but my goodness it's a whole different beast now. The car finally makes sense. It feels powerful and fast, has decent cornering ability but you still feel its weight especially when braking. No more veering off to the side under mild acceleration. Wow.

Definitely a car that takes getting used to due to being so overpowered compared to its braking ability, but loads of fun - finally!

As for the GT4 I had only tried it once before but there have been some tweaks since then I believe, so I'll give it another shot the next time I fire up AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Freeway

Freeway Member

Tried out 1.1.0.0 today. Default Camaro SS setup feels awful.

Made the following setup changes to the Camaro SS:
    Brake Balance: 65/35 F/R (default?)
    Rear ARB: 15/N/mm
    Front Camber: -2.0
    Rear Camber: -1.6
    Slow Bump Front and Rear: 3500 N/m/s
    Differential:
    Preload: 30
    Clutches: 4
    Ramp: 74 (default?)
    Coast: 68 (default?)
    Traction Control 1%
    ABS 0%

End result: Car is much improved. In my opinion, it still doesn't feel like it has enough torque and the tires are still too weak (not enough grip laterally or linearly). Brakes also feel far weaker than they should be (as the real Camaro SS brakes are highly praised). Regardless, the biggest positive change comes from zeroing out the Traction Control and ABS.

I am no setup guru but, as configured above, the current Camaro SS is MUCH better than it was... though it still has a ways to go in my opinion.

Part of the problem here is that the Real Camaro SS drives far more like a racecar than many of you would believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

My biggest problem is the grip too in all road cars, also tired take a ridiculous amount of time to come up to temperature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Freeway, having tc at 1% is as high as you can get tc. Meaning its reversed. Read the tooltip it can explain better than me.
    Thx for posting or settings.
    HNY

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Freeway

Freeway Member

@LugNut Thank you! That helps explain things.

16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm enjoying the latest version of the Camaro, so I'll try this setup if it makes it more agile - thanks for sharing

17. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Agreed, the Camaro SS still feels horribly broken.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  18. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

It can be improved but it is definitely driveable now. Hell on Nords combined i went from barely surviving and managing a 10:30.5 to consistenltly running 9:52-53s. If that is not a massive improvement and making a car drivable then I don't know what improvement is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mad maxx

mad maxx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

it's driveable, yes, but for me seems so slow compared to other in same class (yes, 700 more kg and 200 Hp less) !!! apart Nords combined, what are your lap times on other tracks, like Spa or Interlagos or Brands ?!?!

thank you

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I confirm also my comments from few weeks ago, before this latest update, its driveable and enjoyable altogether now. sure its slower than other cars but pretty fun finally now.

I am experiencing an issue though, when I push my button mapped for rear view when I am in bumper and bonnet camera mode, screen goes full black.

anybody having this issue as well?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1