1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu choices rapidly shift - possibly seeing wheel as a moving mouse

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by D Gamble, Jan 2, 2021.

1. D Gamble

D Gamble New Member

After applying the 1.1.0.0 update, I cannot use the UI for any kind of settings, etc. The highlighted menu items flash from one to another very quickly. Sometimes turning the steering wheel will slow it down and make the motion of the menu selections go the other way, sometimes it has no effect at all. If I can get into a submenu, hovering the mouse cursor over an option (for example, Type of Wheel) it will very quickly roll through the possible choices.

I have deleted the AMS2 settings folder from under my Documents folder, and I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game (Steam).

My wheel is a Fanatec Club Base V1.

I have disconnected all other controllers other than the Fanatec pedals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@D Gamble Sounds like your wheel has some steering angle on it and that is what is messing with your menus. IIRC the Menu Spring option operates that function in the FFB settings menu.

3. D Gamble

D Gamble New Member

It is definitely true that the steering wheel position has an influence on it, but I've had AMS 2 for a long time now and have never had this problem. My wheel settings did not cause any problem at all prior to the latest update. Also, while the wheel centering does influence the main menu problem in that I can slow down and reverse the movement, it has no effect on the single-item selections.

There have been other reports of this new behavior in the Steam store as well. I'm not sure if those people are using Fanatec or not, though. I wish I could find a way to regress back to the previous AMS2 version partially so I could still use it (it's my favorite) and partially so I could definitively say that this is entirely new to the latest update. I'm 99.99% sure it is, though.

4. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same issue intermittently. I do have a Fanatec Wheel but have concluded it's unrelated. I've tried spring at zero, ensuring driver is not using mouse, etc. When it happens(most often when I am in options trying to edit assignments or when selecting another car after finishing a race)I back out all the way to main menu and try again. If that fails I restart. I've had this issue going back many updates and also had the problem on pcars2 menu (no other games do this).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. D Gamble

D Gamble New Member

It might be coincidental, but the problem went away when I applied the 1.1.0.1 hotfix.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldGamerGazza

OldGamerGazza Member

My wheel has always affected the menu movement, same with Project Cars, I have a Thrustmaster TS-PC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

I have the same problem since the last patch.
    Or was it longer? I can't remember :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I some cases it will help to set menu spring strength, to keep your wheel centered.
    I am use to it so i also automatically center my wheel before entering any menu.
    But something seems changed not to my liking, there is no need to click the tabs in the setup menu, it changes already just by mouse over, Now i have to concentrate on my mouse movements in the menu, and be sure not to hover over the wrong tab.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I continued having the problem so researched in the PC2 forum and there was the solution - a shocker. Yes, wheel centering can cause problems but the culprit is the brake pedal.

I had no idea this pedal is coded to move around menus. To see for yourself go into single race, vehicle selection, and without touching mouse depress brake and you’ll see, now select GT3, depress brake. Who knew?

So, the cause is most likely our feet ever so slightly resting on the pedal. The suggestion was to add a little brake dead zone or ensure before returning to the menu to take foot off pedal.

I now understand why I never had this issue until after a race (when my foot was up on pedals) and in my case it happened almost every time. All day today I tested with a little dead zone and the problem is gone.

Hope it solves your issue if it reappears.