1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to drift in 911 Cup Car

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ChrisVirtuoso, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ChrisVirtuoso

ChrisVirtuoso New Member

Hi,
    I cannot get the 911 Cup car to go into power oversteer on a dry track, even if I "throw" it into a tight corner, putting the throttle to the floor in 2nd gear.
    In fact there is some wheelspin but during that the car actually rather understeers.
    The Porsche is a RWD car with nearly 500 HP without traction control, so I assume it must be a problem on my end.
    I checked that all assists are off and returned to the default car setup.
    What am I missing?

Regards
    Chris

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Im no drifting expert, but try locking the differential, increasing the clutch plates and stiffening the rear suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChrisVirtuoso

ChrisVirtuoso New Member

Playing with the differential was one of the first things I tried and that did bring indeed a little improvement, but not to the extent I hoped for. Having to tweak a RWD race car that much to get rid of power understeer seems strange to me in itself.
    I have to admit that all in all I'm really disappointed by how AMS2 feels compared to what I'm used to (also AMS1). The physics overall feel totally strange compared to any other sim I've got my hands on in the last years and also the least realistic. But thats just me. Others may see it the other way round.
    Still, I believe it has great potential and will get better with time.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

Chris

4. traind

traind Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Many of us found this same issue at the start of access to AMS2. It may be an inherent issue with the Madness engine... it impacted a lot of cars. The good news is that Reiza is making progress and some cars have been changed to the point where power-on oversteer is getting more realistic. The new Mercedes GT1 historic car is a good example as is the street Camaro, McLaren F1 and I think the GT4 McLaren 570 is too. However, it feels like some cars seem to take a step forward and then a step back... the Mercedes GT3 seemed to do that for me. It was feeling good with traction control off recently then yesterday I drove it again and it was hard to provoke oversteer to rotate the car.

• Like Like x 5
  5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There are other ways to combat understeer besides the differential. Excessive rear wheel slip also ruins the rear tires so its not great for races anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1