1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any response to Billy Strange Saying the Cars are too "bouncy"

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by happyloaf, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyloaf

happyloaf New Member AMS2 Club Member

Billy Strange on his youtube channel has been saying for a while that the cars in AMS2 are too lively and bouncy compared to how a real car is setup. I sort of feel the same in my few hours with the game.

2. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

3. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I'm no fan of First Impression videos in general. Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man. I know that Billy is capable of going into great detail with a lot of time invested in researching and testing - his GTR2 racing series is testament to that. But somehow he can't be bothered to spend an hour or two with a car he presents and makes a video commenting on? In one of his recent GT3 videos he didn't even know which tyre he was on. I disagree with his method of not doing any setup work. I know why he says he does it, but I don't think that's a valid point, because in the end he cannot differentiate between a bad representation of the car and a bad stock setup.

He prides himself somewhat of having raced cars in real life, so I think he should be held to a higher standard. Doing 10 laps and then concluding "I like it / I don't like it" isn't very useful imo.

That all being said, I agree with Billy that the cars are slidey out of the box and easy to overdrive, and the ongoing issues with the diff implementation don't help, but that's what setups are for in the end. I think what he said about bouncing in the video was more related to camera and head movement settings than car behaviour.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Billy annoys the crap out of me. I think he was a dirt sprint car driver at one stage or something and now knows everything about Sim racing cars.
    The last video I watched of his he was driving the Sirocco in R3E and made the comment that he wasn't using his H pattern because he "couldn't be bothered setting it up" :rolleyes: my thought was why isn't it just always set up? He has a dedicated Sim rig. Then he made the excuse that his pedals "aren't at all set up for heel and toe foot work" o_O Maybe he should move away from his inside Sim racing Thrustmaster sponsors and get some pedals that can be set up for heel and toe all the time?
    Anyway I think it's obvious he annoys me so it's probably that and he is fine and it's just me :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I couldn't agree more. His AMG video he barely acknowledged that his tires could be overpressured or overheated as he spun out, but couldn't be bothered to adjust them? As if the defaults somehow would know that its a 45c track temp as opposed to 25c.

It's not. lol Moreover, some of the comments...One guy basically said defaults should be fine on every track if the car was well implemented. Even a lazy ACC fan should know that the agr defaults are track specific.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelreserv

His opinion about a regression is based off a false premise.

In a genre where ppl throw around opinions about whats real and whats not, and anything less is a “simcade” its disingenuous to conclude that setups don’t matter.

In real life, racing teams tune their cars. In sim racing it should be assumed that setups matter as well. To say they shouldn’t is ignorant. What it does is opens the door to baseless criticism.

If you want a more agressive setup for the now pliable v10/v12s, you have the tools to make that happen as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In Billy's defense, he never said he's more than a former race car driver who gives his opinions because people like hearing what he has to say.

He also does understand setups, just prefers to evaluate cars without touching the default. This is more than some professional simracing YouTubers, who seem to take pride in their ignorance about setups, that is until they are 2-3 seconds off the pace and start begging their chat for a setup...

Billy was also right about the GT3 tyre model in that other review. It was completely off. Soft tyres would cook within 2-3 laps of normal driving to the point of spinning off, as if they were 1980's F1 qualifying tyres. Luckily that issue got fixed.

I'm not quite sure why hes been so negative lately, and not just about AMS2 either. One thing he has is an uncanny talent in finding out bugs and flaws in sims. Like at 9:30, when he runs into the diff suddenly wide open -bug. His diagnosis isn't right, but he is good at finding issues. So the videos do serve a purpose even if they are sometimes too negative and come off as being whiny.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I feel they probably do bounce a little too much, even after fixing the initial problems. I find rF2 less bouncy in the same car, and ACC doesn't seem to bounce at all. I don't know what's right though, nor how much is due to differences in the modelling of head movement or the actual motion of the car.

9. azaris

If you increase head movement to 100% in rF2 and ACC, I guarantee your cars will bounce too. I was getting motion sick in ACC with 100% head movement.

Most sims that offer motion downscaling as an option seem to default to something like 40-50% of the real motion, which of course is unrealistic but is a compromise that compensates for the fact that our necks and eyeballs are compliant and smooth out much of the bouncing. The closer you get to 0%, the closer you are to the authentic Assetto Corsa experience of hovercraft cars sliding over the track surface being pushed down by an invisible hand.

In the Madness Engine, there seems to be no way to scale down the motion, just splitting 100% of the motion between the world and the car. Until that option is somehow made available, the complaints are likely to persist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andrew Hollom

You might be right, but (there's always a 'but'!) I think I can feel the bounce through the steering, as it's quite low frequency, and I feel it more in AMS2 than in rF2, and I can't feel it at all in ACC.

11. Andrew Hollom

I feel it's probably down to the tyre model being bouncier than rF2's tyre model, as tyres are relatively undamped, and I'd hope they'd not get the mass/spring/damper modelling (of the suspension) wrong, but tyres are harder to model (from what I've heard, just getting reliable data is troublesome).

12. azaris

There's a separate issue that some cars lack high-speed damping and that comes through the FFB, although I think recent changes in tyre sidewall stiffness and damper defaults have improved the situation somewhat.

The less said about ACC FFB the better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Billy is so predictable, always angry and grumpy about something unless it is a 10 years old sim or more he has some kind memory of. Not sure what is the point of his videos anymore, they are not pleasant and painful to watch.
    You could give him AMS2 3 years from now and he will still be grumpy and angry about something because it does not align with his concept of what a sim should be: super stable and easy and predictable cars to drive for tired simdads...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelreserv

These are good points and I did indeed notice your comments in his video which I thought were right on point and relevant to the discourse(as they usually are). I recognize in myself a general tendency to be protective (overprotective?) of AMS2 because I so thoroughly enjoy it and I think it deserves the right to be defended.

That being said I think Billy personifies an attitude I don't particularly align with which takes advantage of and fosters crass outspoken criticism of sim racing titles in the sim community. Too often I feel that commenters are simply parroting what they hear from these guys and then take it to other forums and places. It bothers me.

I hope you know azaris that with any luck, when I release a merc build its going to be great to drive, so the tools are there. Ultimately my impression is that he justifies a certain nonchanlance about the defaults under the guise of "this is how the developer presents the product to the consumer". This is wrong and lazy IMO. This is a sim and part of sim racing is understanding cambers and pressures and things to help performance on track.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I used to sub to him but he just got too grumpy all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

His voice sounds nice, but I wish people would stop listening to 'Influencers' and make up their own mind.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I´m going to share some thoughts which I´ve shared on a similar topic in the Beta forum:

Since I posted that, we have both worked on cars that had issues on the physics side of things (Ginetta G58, F-Ultimate, Procar, Porsches in general to mention some) producing excessive vibration and / or "bouncing", and so far we have smoothed out road noise we found to be excessive at Curitiba, Taruma & Kansai. We´ll continue doing that as we pick up on issues on the content side of things, and also continue to explore improvement to the camera system itself.

The final point in that post however still applies - there will always be people complaining about too much bouncing, because we do a lot of Brazilian and / or historical tracks that simply aren´t the smooth ride you find in tracks most commonly featuring in other modern sims - to some extent it´s inherent to the nature of the game and the content that it features. It´s the same thing with people who get nauseated driving karts or driving in VR - it sucks that it happens for them, but there is only so much we can do about it beyond not including that type of content altogether, or artificially making them more confortable - neither things we are inclined to do.

Compare for example the experience of driving at Spa in AMS2, vs Hockenheim or Interlagos Historic - Spa is based on a lased scanned mesh which hasn´t required the same application of mesh noise (which is a less precise and more constant way of implementing bumps) - if you are bothered by bouncing, then Spa will probably be a more pleasant experience. The fact it´s a higher quality, more accurate mesh however doesn´t change the fact that even if we could somehow go back in time and laser scan Hockenheim in the 80s, many users would not find that a pleasant ride - as per the Tiff Neddel video posted earlier, it just wasn´t in real life, and it isn´t in the sim.

Finally, a note on Youtube videos and the "controversy" they often generate (not Billy´s specifically which I haven´t watched yet); there is really no reason to think an Youtube video warrants being taken any more seriously than a post written in the forum - just because someone recorded themselves commenting on the game and uploaded it to the Internet it doesn´t make their point any more or less valid. It is in fact often quite the opposite, as youtubers with a following are increasingly often rushing out videos following a game release or update with the goal of generating traffic to their channel, and often without a minimal amount of homework like reading into release notes. This has been often the case with AMS2 videos I´ve come accross, and while it´s perfectly alright for people to make critical comments on our product - there was afterall plenty to criticise specially in its earlier months, and there still is - we´re also entitled to feel their content is sometimes leaving a bit to be desired :p

There is this unrealistic tendency from some users for the game to work perfectly out of the box and come fully customized to their own preferences - often by the same people that want the biggest range of configurations and the largest amount of simulated and game features one can possibly expect, not realizing the contradiction in those expectations :) Simply put, if you want a racing sim simulating a range of different cars and tracks from different eras, and you want them with all possible simulated dynamics you can´t expect to hit the track and every single time the default whatever to be exactly as you´d want it - not least when that theorical default is the opposite of what another fella would want. As much as we try (and we do) to fine tune all functionalities, provide defaults that are as close to middle-ground optimal as we can and explain how to go about finetuning them, ultimately this is the type of game that requires some homework to get right to your preferences - that goes for camera setings, brakes, controllers, FFb, graphics and even the choice of cars and tracks you elect to spend time on.

To sum up all the rambling above: when it comes to the issue of "bouncing" there are some things we can and have been working on to improve the experience for our users; there are also things people need to adapt to and work with the software as it is if they want to enjoy it fully :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Thanks Renato, that made for an interesting read for someone like me with no dev (...or even much general IT) knowledge.

As a slight aside, today was the first day that I was able to spend much time in game since before Christmas. So I spent it with the new Porsche GT1 at both Spa and Bathurst. After spending several hours testing and racing I’ve managed to work out two set ups that have transformed the driving experience from the default. I’ve enjoyed the learning process and have a sense of accomplishment having got my times down from 2:04 at Bathurst to 1:58.somethingorother.

Still a hell of a long way from the TT record holder and I’m still a long way from fully understanding how to best setup my cars, but I’m having fun and learning. I’m not convinced I would have quite as much fun if it was simply a case of jumping into a default car and blamming down on the throttle (although I admit I would like to be good enough to do a Nemesis69 and scrawl my name across most leader boards in game using a default - he’s everywhere:))

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Like chalk on a chalkboard :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

Billy Strange produced some of my favourite content on the old Inside Sim Racing channel, but since then he has become too jaded and negative for me to enjoy... or just "grumpy" as it was said before.

I do agree with some of his criticism of AMS2, but it's the way that he presents his criticism that bothers me. He keeps using his real life experience to make judgments on all type of sim racing cars, even when they have little to no relation with the type of cars he used to drive.

• Agree Agree x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.