1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physic discussion thread

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Avoletta1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to be totally sure: ARC you mean? (Aussie Race Cars)
    Btw. also a Spool car. Quite revealing, that Spool and Open Diff cars (which work as intended, so the "raw dynamics" of AMS2 are showcased) are actually pretty good.

I think, i remember quite good, what you mean. It gave many people the impression of a "permanent driving aid".

What channels could you recommend using for testing aero? (if there is even a good way, especially for wing-/diffuser-stall, airflow/effectivity at yaw/pitch/roll etc.)
    it's also just picking channels and drive :D

I was rarely using telemetry programs, until one year ago. (mainly for watching tyre temps and pressures) and through rF2 tyre tests and the AMS2 diff stuff, i realized, it's actually not that hard to approach, as long, as you know, what to look at. But i'm also inexperienced with choosing the right channels and ways of interpreting data correctly. That's something, @Avoletta1977 is doing the "wasting his life" better at. (i read the rest of the thread right now :D)

2. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, ARC... my life is also wasted by dyslexia. :D

I'm trying to convince the developer of the tool at making possible to export the telemetry data so they can be better analyzed... or at least at including some math channels for people in need of further ruining their life. :D

I think yours is already meaningless, so it won't change much by trying to understand why FRetro are lifting.

Sadly we don't have many direct channels for doing it and I would say the suspension movements would be the closest surrogate (if only we knew where bumpstops are placed and their rate...). So no, we are quite blind.

From the tool I shared with you, it is possible to plot (it does it automatically) the scatter diagram of lateral acceleration vs speed.

The slope of its average shape it's an indirect measurement of aero load... not so sure it's much useful, but you can see if and how it modifies with setup (wing/ride height)..

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

Hmm. That leaves me with driving and taking screenshots as context on an almost more effective way. But i will maybe take a look at some things.

Here is the point, where my dyslexia starts, by being a total b00n.

4. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Nah man. Ive watched more on board camera before I was 13 than you have seen in your life. I have not worked on these vehicles but I have experienced more fast cars than you would probably even look at on any given weekend.

Let me tell you something - you're here in this thread trying to RUIN my experience and others.

These cars need to be 'fought' - go watch any driver climb up Bathurst and they will tell you these cars are like trying to push a brick around with a silly engine.

You're here trying to eradicate an unpredictable force. You want to smooth it out - you want your steering. You want to 'dampen' it. or whatever you are trying to do

I do not know how you will get that with snapshoting particular points on any given track but anyway.

AMS2 v rfactor 2 57% of the audience

v ACC - 15%

v AC original 10%

THE MORE NAFF the driving - the more unpredictable (owing to mods in AC's case) the better.

Its almost like one should be catching the car before it flies off the track.

Content aside and all thing being equal, which gives this thread limited utility as it is... people are not rushing to the ACC dampen and 'driving miss daisy' style of things...

_

Yes they are probably keeping such discussions in beta section because of the sensitive nature of the content.

_

Why are some even here trying to 'fix' AMS2 - shouldn't you be off play-driving on ACC?

A lot of the core/base physics of AMS2 are pretty solid.

It already gets ironed out behind the scenes.

I know I sound mean but I also know this thread reeks of desperation.

Y? I praised the game - and someone came along and hated on the game - because of his little physics issue. There's not too much wrong with the actual driving. The physics forces - invisible.

Mate - take a look at yourself... look at the per centages

Groups as such are in the minority. This thread is over-representation of something not worthy of discussion - if people want to read about physics there's text books. Inertia is a good one.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. CrimsonEminence

OT-on
    I would appreciate the stop of the off-topic in such a technically-specific thread, even if i'm usually all-in for excurse, but here it's generating a lot of scattering. (not excluding myself!!)

If you want to talk about this very specific topic and all its potential extend of discoveries regarding appeal of a product, AMS2 in particular, to a wider audience, or experiences with motorsports in general (something like a "let me introduce my automobile career" topic) you might will have better chances with open a thread about it. Thank you!

I don't want to impersonate any moderation here, just saying, that this thread is somewhat of a grey area in "not cooking the soup too hot" to begin with, so keep it civilized and mostly focused, please.
    OT-out

6. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

From my understanding, the spools and open differentials on every car are working properly, correct?

I tried the Super V8, and the only oddity I noticed was how cold tires want to slide quickly instead of slowly. And I know that's a tire issue.

Speaking of tires, I really wish they would implement meaningful flatspot damage. But I don't know if that's one of those things that affects everything else in the tire model.

7. CrimsonEminence

Yes.
    What?

8. Raceracerace

Guys, just give your clever wits some parameters... Plus they have to learn the intricacies of the engine...

Wrote this, relevant to this misguidance seem recently in thread

This is the point i Wickedly quibbled with someone in there about

It's a non issue that stuff gets handled by high level protocol, not wonderment on forums.

But note how MUCH ACC does for you... Too much.

ACC pushed boundaries and so will AMS2.

But in the effort to get there, they have smoothed out the driving quite a bit. Hehe.

The cars in actuality need to be fought to keep on the road. Look at any video, do any circuit you like. ACC tries to put normal road ability and complicity into the sim... That's awesome but an important distinction..

Ams2 is immersive for a reason and that's not to say ACC is lame, just let's hope they don't try to bore things down.

All that in combination with ffb as I understand the engine has a large impact on ffb, which here is class LEADING.

Um.. Don't go making them ruin something they're leading in...

Come on guys...lol I'm far too clever to be tripped up or get off on wrong foot, strategically etc. So I will now go share my ffb settings you would be surprised you geniuses how difficult that's for some people...

9. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

Race drivers describe the characteristic of cold tires as breaking from traction in slow, lazy spins. The cold tires in the game brake from traction in a way that makes the rear end slip away more rapidly—like a warm tire—except that they have less grip to begin with.

If you've ever driven in AC on tires that weren't up to proper pressure, that's what I'm talking about. In AMS2, they don't act like that; they just act like warm tires with less grip.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

I'm not sure what this topic is about anymore...The issues that most here know about regards the differentials in-game? (Initial variations and values, time/speed of change, severity of change) Or the philosophy of life, varying pedestals (Pissing contests) and other random ramblings?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Remove this guy from the discussion and you’ll see we were on topic the majority of the time ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Raceracerace

Friend, you ARE out of line. Firstly - this thread is in direct response to MY praise about the game. It didn't sit well with someone so they needed to drag a private beta discussion out into the open - hence stopping the praise and feedback.

Secondly, the manipulation on display is frankly disturbing....YOU or the other guy is trying to WRANGLE something out of the developer.

Talk about mountain out of a mole hill - but I do understand you need to talk numbers and fallacies and all the other things your cognitive imperatives are telling you that you must do.

I personally don't think you need to worry about the physics - they pay a guy(s) to do that and there are definitely other places - they're better off listening to Billy Strange or anyone about this issue.

__

The thread is especially self serving in my opinion. I do not want to moderate you either. But I would appreciate it if you could move on - you are very transparent, and to be sure, you are trying to bring significance to these issues which is unwarranted.

Its a game - it is not an O.C.D thing, and this needless discussion about the miniature aspects "is what it is" as the saying goes.

But the argument has come to an almost autistic level, and maybe you need to read my other comments on here to guage who and what I am, and how well or poorly I write, and how intelligent I am.

Because all I see from that kind of thing is a raft of cognitive deficiencies, and whatever number crunching you want to do - confine it to your job and let them do theirs or come to the public side of the forums to discuss fun aspects and on-hand needs. Its specious and disingenuine to make me out to be the bad guy here.

You will probably find me not commenting in here as I don't want to cramp your style, but neither do I agree with it - because frankly this issue is as unwarranted as it is silly [physics] about an engine which has so many values in it, this discussion could only ever possibly be self serving, not an imperative in this arena.

So maybe that can be the end of this discussion within the discussion? No need to reply unless you want to, which I hope you don't.

13. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Holy moly.
    This is a prime example of a user who manages it to become ignored by several members within his first week in this forum. Congrats. All hail to the ignore button!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Raceracerace

thats ok - I am not here to be his, yours or anyone's buddy. I am pretty sure reiza know not to get a plumber to do what a carpenter needs to do. Its the least of my worries.

I will say, though, this is a testament to the value and the pretext for this thread, in this particular location, at this particular time.

15. CrimsonEminence

Ah okay, well i know only from kart tyres, what a cold tyres spin feels like on the brakes (it's actually quite funny and might also match with this in some kind of way, especially when you hit the throttle then immediately after it, without bogging down:D "lazy spin" actually fits, you can even experience this with a 9hp rental actually), this might not really be representable for a full blown race car, so i can't confirm or deny, how it should be with a crazy Aussie machine. :D So if you think so, maybe there is something to it, but i don't know.^^ (i really lack of "on track" experience/knowledge here, but i know, what you mean, slicks are known for a more spontaneous fall of in operational condition, while overdriving)
    Tyres in AC, not on proper pressure, often give me more understeer or washing out, than anything else. I really can't confirm or deny, like stated. ^^' (But i also see, where you're coming from, does competely make sense to me due to the higher ability to build peak grip, switching into strong fall-off)

16. psone

psone Guest

Goldenbear is that you?? :eek:
    seriously...wtf. blocked. apologies for the continued ot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

Are you talking about me?
    homer.png
    You really are in the sim-forum game for a long time, right? :D (Golden Bear was right about the engine inertia complaint, regarding rF2 GTE, though, i bet a Big Cheese-Burger on it, it's being wrong with these cars, since the first BoP and physics update!)
    aaaaaanyway

To be on topic:

Does anyone have an explanation, why a car could lift its rear first, instead of the front, when going to jump over a crest, without braking or lifting and assumed, aero is balanced?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

This used to happen to me at old Spielberg in the F-Retro. Turn 1 without chicane is not exactly a jump, but the car gets light there. Went away couple months back, but I haven’t driven it for a while. Are you referring to such an event?

Another recent one is GT1 at VIR. No idea which turn it is, but you’ll know when it hits. Fast blind left-hander that just disappears from under you. I need to try it again, cause I don’t remember what happens there :D. Pretty sure the front washes out in the Porsche at least.

19. CrimsonEminence

Yup.
    You can try Nordschleife Flugplatz jump and experience it there reproduceable.

It has massively improved, since the last updates, but it's still existent and i'm quite tempted to go to the bottom of this phenomenon. That's why i ask, if someone knows a scenario, that might initiate such a behaviour.
    The F-Retro is my most beloved class in AMS1 and in AMS2 it's always showing some new "broken"(at least at first glance) aspects and i want this class to be good.

It's my favourite era of F1 cars in sim racing. It has to work, it's a selfish desire. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member