1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. week

week New Member

I see. I was just wondering if disabling that I would win some frames. It's a nice effect, but I think it has an important impact on performance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  2. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

I have I7 10700 at 5,2 mhz, 16 gb ram at 4.0 ghz, Rtx 3080 overcloched at + 100 core + 1000 ram, and despite my system i must downsampled my Reverb G1 in Steam Vr at 70% , run the game without the shimmering shadows that, in addition to being unwatchable, also require a lot of PC resources. In this condition anyway, 90 FPS are non constant in any wheather condition and i use only 11 AI opponent.
    VR performance in AMS2 sadly are as bad as Pcars 2, unless you're willing to accept a really insufficient graphics. When I learned that Reiza was going to use the madness engine to make AMS2 I feared just what happened.
    Performance is bad unless you're willing to accept really insufficient graphics.
    I don't think Reiza can improve VR performance without a major code rewrite and I honestly i think that even if they want to, no one in Reiza has the necessary skills to do it.
    Too bad, because for everything else the game is fantastic, and the commitment of the developers even touching.
    I will continue to support them but I fear that the VR performance will remain a weak point.
    Obviously, I am referring to the VR with HP G1 / G2 with their high resolution that I am used to in games like AC or IRacing, where I can even Oversampled at 200% in Steam Vr, obtaining an image sharpness that, once tried, inevitably I "pretend" to find in all my driving simulations .. Probably with Headset with lower resolutions the problem is less evident.
    My 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Markjk7

Markjk7 New Member

Unfortunately, from a performance perspective, I don't think you can compare AMS2 in VR to AC or iRacing. AC is much simpler and runs really well in VR because of this, probably the same could be said for iRacing. ACC on the other hand is to me far worse in VR than AMS2.
    If it helps make you feel any better I go from really high settings and 90fps in AC, to medium/low settings and 45fps reprojected in AMS2, that's on an original HP WMR. AMS2 still looks and performs way better than ACC and they are still the 2 games I drive most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

Agreed. AMS2, like PC2 is very generous when it comes to VR performance. I get pretty much the same performance from AMS2 as I did in PC2, except AMS2 graphically looks much better in VR, with seemingly no hit to performance.

I have tried ACC in VR and it is a disaster, completely unoptimized, very poor performance in VR, weird visual abnormalities, in other words ACC in VR is complete garbage.

So as far as VR racing sims, I would say AMS2 is at the top, looks great, well optimized. To say that AMS2's VR performance is a "weak point" is just totally misleading, it is probably the best racing sim for VR to date.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

There is a serious problem with Nvidia drivers for VR. If you rollback to 446.14 and it's vast improvement. I'm afraid this isn't an option with those who have purchased a 30 series card though.

I've been testing and tweaking to death my games since upgrading from a Rift S to a Reverb G2. Watched so many youtube videos and tweaked so many settings and have finally got something that works well for me for AMS2.

I have an i7 8700 overclocked and a 2080TI overclocked, a H3motion rig running SRS software, simhub for controlling my buttkicker and realtus feedback seat. Also running crew chief as well.

I have to say I am running with motion smoothing turned to enabled in steam and at 100% SS and I'm running 30 cars on track in AI races (when the track allows it). The settings in game I have everything in ultra apart from grass and the MSAA is at medium. It runs so sweet!!

The other changes I've made in windows 10 to ensure that game mode is turned off and also gpu scheduling is off.

When benchmarking drivers newer than 446 I do get faster FPS (by a couple of frames) but there are way too many frame drops which interrupts the immersion. With 416 drivers, none! There is an ongoing thread on Nvidia's forums at the moment with regards to poor performance in VR with the latest drivers Here . I'm holding off upgrading to a 30 series card until the issues have been ironed out (not that I can get one at the moment anyway) :D.

I know a lot don't like motion smoothing in sims (it looks awful in flight sim 2020) but honestly, for me, it looks fine in this game.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Thanks for this. New owner of a G2 + 3080 here. Awaiting better Nvidia drivers. I don’t have anything to compare it against here as I can’t roll back drivers obviously, but it feels... off. Flickering, shimmering, frame drops. Pretty annoying.

7. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

How do you actually roll back nvidia drivers?

thanks in advance
    Baz

8. psone

psone Guest

9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

The native resolution in SteamVR for the G2 is 50%. If you are running @ 70%, that means you are already upsampled 20% (not down sampled). I know a few Youtubers made videos about 100% being the correct ratio due to "barrel distortion" but they are wrong, IMHO. I've actually had to correct for barrel distortion on a HTC Vive Pro modded with GearVR lenses and you'll know barrel distortion when you see it, as rectangular shapes start looking like a barrel. You don't fix it via the super sampling option in SteamVR.

I'm running SteamVR @ 56-60% on the G2 and the image looks perfectly fine. As for the shimmering in the distance, I feel MSAA @ medium and textures @ high makes a bigger difference. With those 2 settings both AMS2 and PCars2 looks gorgeous in VR, the 2 best looking VR simracing games IMHO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

That’s not right. The 100% SS in steam is correct for the G2 due to distortion correction. It has been confirmed by HP on their Twitter feed and there’s been a number of videos about it. I thought the same thing when I first got the G2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Indeed, it's all about getting 1:1 pixel mapping in the centre of the view after the barrel distortion is corrected.

12. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

For those who have a reverb. You know motion smoothing setting in SteamVR does nothing untill you set the WMR setting to follow the steam motion smoothing setting right? You need to be in VR with controllers to actually enter the WMR settings in steam VR settings. There is an option for motion vector reprojection. You can set it to follow whatever you set in SteamVR.

At least on my hp reverb this was not enabled by default.

13. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you have try Iracing or AC whith G1 at 200 SS and in game setting to max? Try and post your impression.....

14. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Where do you find these settings in steam?

regards

15. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

I'm on an Index. I've gotta say, performance is totally great for me at 100% SS and Med MSAA with config file sharpening settings applied. I honestly don't know why people choose to push SS so high which results in edge shimmering in the Madness engine.

The better alternative is already there! If you're expecting 1.5 or higher SS to give you another 100 ft. of clarity you've got another thing coming. The ONLY way that'll happen is 16K screens with foveated rendering which is tied to eye tracking and I cannot imagine what kind of future supercomputer you'd need to run that.

VR is about the immersion over the detail of a compressed, flat monitor image. It's STILL early tech. If you want ultra clarity and real-life visuals I'm sorry to say that the holodeck is a little ways off, still. First thing I'm doing when I nab a 3080 Ti is pushing 144Hz :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael C Turner

Michael C Turner New Member

Running it at 100% in g2 with 3080.. trying to decide if lower in game res (65) is better with msaa @ high OR med msaa with game res at 100?

17. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I do, I'll give it shot but I'm not sure my system can manage 90fps constantly with those settings. I'm not sure I can hit 90fps with 100% SteamVR.

18. DrPenguin

DrPenguin New Member

Hey Folks, I've been doing some searching and haven't found an answer, so I'd like to pose a question. In VR in some cars I have what appears to be either part of the helmet or driving suit collar in my view. I've adjusted the clip planes to the highest value as I saw in another post in this thread, but it's still happening. Is there any way to prevent this without disabling driver/wheel?

19. Allan MacLeod

Allan MacLeod New Member

Map some buttons for seat movement to fine tune your position

20. DrPenguin

DrPenguin New Member

I've already done this, the issue persists.