1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any response to Billy Strange Saying the Cars are too "bouncy"

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by happyloaf, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

And that's fine. But in the context of the video and this thread, its different to say that its beyond reach and people don't have the time to learn the concepts than it is to say (in comments, forums or otherwise) the cars are badly implemented or the physics are wrong and therefore AMS2 isn't a good sim, even if its just implied.

I don't see many people on the forums simply asking about how to fix an aspect of a car they don't like that makes it difficult to drive. It could be as simple as reducing or increasing the tire pressure or camber depending on the track, which ACC requires as well l should add...

2. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

You blame him for this? :p
    Aren’t we all driving in circles for a while, even in dirt? :p:D

3. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

People are allowed to imply or state explicitly that they don't like something. I prefer rF2 over AMS2 (there you go, I've said it), but I still quite like AMS2 (warts and all), and I prefer both over ACC, but ACC still has its plus points. We're at risk of sounding a bit precious if nobody can say or even imply anything bad about our beloved AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I don't think anybody said he should like AMS2, and if they did, they're wrong. Like I said above, it's OK to not like something.

We're questioning if one should state his opinion on a car publicly after ~30 minutes of driving it on stock setup - one cannot be sure if its a bad car or simply a bad setup. We're expecting higher standards from our Simracing influencers.

5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Most definitely. However, it doesn't absolve them from scrutiny. Having an opinion isn't carte blanche to just say whatever you feel, end of story. That's called therapy.

Is it unreasonable to expect a (former) pro driver and sim racing influencer to drive a car and if the brakes feel strange to click the bias back a bit? Racers bind these to the wheel for a reason. I mean, what are we doing here? That's racing AND sim racing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

It´s perfectly fine to have an opinion and criticise something (rightly or wrongly) just as it´s perfectly fine to have an opinion on someone´s opinion and criticise that; with this said let´s stick to discussing our opinions on the subject and avoid criticising individuals personally for having them :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think (at least I am sure on my side) the criticism here is on the method not the person: one thing is the casual user who may or may not like to develop their setup and another one is the expert providing an opinion which (considering that someone an expert) we hope it is the most educated one.
    What I am criticizing is the fact that it is not a plausible opinion that from a person that doesn't know what tires he is running on, whether the car he is driving has ABS or TC or not, whether by any chance the baseline setup he is using is overheating the tires or not, or admittedly he has not spent time setting up his wheel base to Reiza recommendations.
    By any common sense his judgment is impaired by the fact that he is unaware od so many basic things and he has not done any homework so whatever the conclusions (positive or negative) they have really no good foundations.
    An educated opinion from an expert would be to do his homework and then eventually for instance come back and say he doesn't like the job Reiza has done on the baseline setups because of this or that reason, maybe even conclude that the sim may not be enough casual user friendly or whatever.
    But skipping homework is the problem, not his opinion IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If he did he would have to use 'Christine' for sure.:eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Nah nah my good man. Dont criticise our good friend Hunter. Because he invented the (at that time) new gonzo journalism :p
    And eventhough he more than got his part of LSD and mescaline he also made some pretty great articles and books ;)

ByTheWay: But I admit that if he has been living today and joined a MP race I would probably only join as a spectator :p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

If you watch myself going around Spa in cockpit cam and then watch Billy it's like two different games, one seems flat and stable and the other bouncing all over the place....
    Only difference is the camera settings...

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Simmo99x you know your going to have to share your cam settings now :p
    Please do, while im happy with my current cam settings im keen to try something that might be even better and yours does look sweet.

12. Gevatter

Spa isn't very bouncy to begin with. To be fair to Billy, if you want to make a comparison, you should use the same content he did (CLK GT1 @Hockenheim 2001 and Mclaren GT1 @Jerez)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Ok so I'm going to do a test on Hockenheim 2001, with the CLK GT1 car, 2 laps straight out the box, default just to see if I get the same problems, as there is no issues at Jerez it's very smooth.
    Looks like Hockenheim 2001 was renowned for being very bumpy in real life.
    I will post the video with my Camera settings asap, cheers.

14. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I would say this is probably the bumpiest track I've come across, but it's definitely a night and day difference.
    Settings used....
    FOV 80 with buttons assigned to move seat Cockpit Camera/ wheel/hands removed.
    High speed shake - OFF
    Headmovement - 0
    Use Legacy Headmovement - YES
    G Force - 0-10 depending on what you like.
    Everything obviously can be tweaked to suit yourself, but seems a good place to start.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Still quite bouncy though, which may be just like real life, who knows? The only difference is that your head is locked to the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The forest section has always been very bumpy. Watch the car shaking and Mansell head in 1991.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah I think that locking it seems to feel more realistic as obviously in real life you are effectively fixed to the car anyway.
    Unless you've got VR this seems the best solution for me, so far and might help some other people struggling, hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

What camera settings do you use? This looks good!

19. Gevatter

Look here

20. Suby56

Suby56 New Member

When your eyes are telling your brain one thing and your body is feeling another it can cause motion sickness.
    The tracks may be bumpy in real life, but i think you need to account for us not really feeling any motion but only seeing them in the cockpit view. There is some disconnect between the eyes and the inner ear or something.

I really, really want to love this game, but the way this makes me feel after a couple laps because of this camera/car movement is unpleasant. I mean, I have been driving my desk around since GPL days, and no other racing or rally title has had this affect on me.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.