1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any response to Billy Strange Saying the Cars are too "bouncy"

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by happyloaf, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I'm not sure I agree that locking your head to the car is like real life. Sure it's exactly like how a well fitted camera would behave, but a person is quite flexible and their necks allow sometimes considerable movement, so it is not like locking it to the car. The physics of head movement is a function of many things and is widely different between people (a modern F1 driver's head would be more locked than an F1 driver from the 60s, for example), so I don't know how this could be 'got right'. There's a video of someone in a two-seater F1 type car, and their head was thrown around like a rag doll - it's quite a disturbing video.

I use settings that have a bit of car movement and a bit if head movement, which I find most natural (I use VR, but I'd want a bit of both on a monitor too I think).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. psone

psone Guest

I really don't think that its that the cars are too bouncy at all. If you look at videos of GT1s racing back in the day or Brazilian stock cars are another good example and compare it to an external replay, the amount of movement is incredibly similar. To me it seems like the issue is that unlike in the real world unless you have a motion rig your head is obviously not in motion with the car so it's much more noticeable, then add to that, that in real life when we're being thrown around like that, our brains are incredibly good at filtering out that kind of motion. Not so much when its happening on a flat screen in front of us.

I think other sims probably tend to dampen the motion of the car relative to the in car camera more that maybe AMS 2 is by default. In some ways dampening it like that is probably more representative of what you perceive in the real car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

The Porsche GT1 review is out, 11 laps around Silverstone 2001. Go watch it for yourselves before you comment on it, but here are the bulletpoints, more or less chronologically:

• "Hopefully it's at least fun to drive in terms of AMS2 standards"
    • Billy's fans agree with him that AMS2 isn't very good and write to him telling him that
    • The Porsche has low front end grip feel.
    • Enthusiasm for AMS2 has waned according to his Youtube comment section
    • AMS2 shouldn't have been called a v1.0, he doesn't care that it's ongoing development
    • If you like the car, you're probably underdriving
    • The Porsche is not very good even by AMS2 standards
    • Reiza shouldn't listen to the fanboys because we hold them back :whistle:
    • Billy's fans agree with him that AMS2 isn't very good (he actually mentioned it again towards the end)
    :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

FWIW, I play in VR with Legacy (only option) with a setting of 35. I like that allows a little separation from the car motion, but I am primarily tied to the car. My experience whether on a snowmobile (very rough), or on the track in my car, is that the car (or sled) doesn't feel like it is moving as much as the road/trail ahead. ...almost like your "tied" to your vehicle. :whistle:

I have zero motion sickness, even if toggling frame rates with ASW in my CV1; with many sessions lasting over 2hrs.

That said, it is quite clear that just about everyone has a different expectation.

5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

What a coincidence. I literally just finished a Porsche GT1 build around Silver 2001 and it drives beautifully.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

LOL.. :D He is digging himself in a deeper hole with every review... We are really giving him too much importance when he really has little.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I've never had a Youtube channel or even posted a video yet from my observations it seems there's huge pressure to provide a near constant stream of 'content,' as well as finding a niche within whichever realm they focus on, whether thats game reviews, simracing, make up application or whatever.

With the main driver often seemingly appearing simply to exist as a relevant channel I find it hard to apply too much credence to any 'content creator.' I suspect many subscribers pick and choose as much from their own confirmation bias as from being challenged or provoked (by which I mean intellectually and not mere prodding with a stick.)

That's certainly not to say there's a dearth of good content or that all creators do have a niche viewpoint to which they stick. It's just that as never before the viewer must weigh the opinions given more carefully and/or thoughtfully. Which is something we see less and less of these days as we become accustomed to digesting only that which suits us.

Anyway, I may be digressing way too far.:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's incredible how different people's perceptions of AMS2 can be. To me, the
    Porsche is way more stable than the Merc/McLaren and has crazy grip in cornering due to the extra downforce. Feels like the easy mode of GT1 to me. Maybe, as Lord Strange says, I'm not pushing hard enough. Yet, I'm two seconds faster with it at Spa than with the McLaren and that's when I actively try to push through the characteristic understeer-into-oversteer in every corner. The Merc I can't even make a single lap with because it autobins every time in the chicane or the hairpin.

Kinda makes listening to anyone else's opinions of this game completely irrelevant.

9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Coming back to Billy Strange's reviews of the GT1s.

Well, it's his impression and it's his opinion.
    And other than me and the most of us he has real racing experience and can compare behaviour of a racecar irl and in sim.
    Something I've learnd in my life is, you should always accept criticism and try to make the best out of it. Maybe it's not easy and somtimes it may hurt. But you should reflect and consider the other thoughts. I think this is exactly, what Reiza does.
    At the moment I have to say, I'm also not very happy with the cars. And it's a trial after every update, if it has become any better. Sadly I miss the ability to explain and discribe this in technically sophisticated ways like some of you can.
    But I have no confidence in the cars. I cannot predict behaviour and direction of the car, when entering the corner. I always fear the back taking over like more than once today at the lefthander after Bruxelles at Spa. And that's not the way a racecar should behave. The car simply has to be fast and fair to the driver.
    I miss the accuracy of controlling a thoroughbred racecar. Maybe it's my inability and it's always a matter of being used to something.
    Well, it's my impression and my opinion.

Still I believe this will change to the better and Reiza will fix it.

10. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Physics and FFB of AMS 2 were completely broken in the beginnings. It was an undrivable mess.
    No feelings what the car is doing, cornering was understeer, oversteer, understeer, oversteer. FFB was too much rumble but not much information, with harsh spikes, dangerous on a direct drive.
    From iteration to iteration it gets better and better, but is still far from perfect.
    Other sims feel far more intuitive out of the box.
    With 1.1 I am happy. Cars are drivable now, but physics still could be improved.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Isn´t that always the case ;)

I think we covered what we had to discuss on the topic so I´m closing this one - further comments on Youtube videos can be posted in the comment section of said videos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.