1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive Ping Problems in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Chris89, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Chris89

Chris89 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm having a weird new problem and I wonder if the game can even be the culprit here:
    Simply put I have massive connection issues when playing online. Crazy lags of other cars, red pings overall, disconnects etc. I tried it with other games like ACC immediately afterwards and there was no problem whatsoever. I also ran several speedtests (all normal) and tried on separate days and servers.
    So it can't be my connection and there is at least SOMETHING around AMS2 that seems to create this problem. The problem wasn't there when I last played online 3-4 weeks ago or so.
    Oh and I also tried whitelisting AMS2 in my antivirus to no avail.

I play on Win 10, R5 3600, 32GB RAM, 1660Ti, Oculus Link with Quest / Quest 2 (makes no difference).

I'm out of ideas what could cause this :( Appreciate any help!

2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

What are your upload and download speeds?
    Did you turn off UDP telemetry in the game's system settings?

3. Chris89

Chris89 New Member

My connection is DSL 50, with the speedtests coming in between 35-45 MBit/s download and 7-10 MBit/s upload.
    I did not turn off the UDP setting as I use it for CrewChief and SimHub...

4. Shriukan

Turn UDP off.
    The way it works is it will send a packet every X frames, X being the value you have set. So a value of 1 with a refresh rate of 120Hz means 120 packets sent to your router which will overload it and make it lag.

Use Shared Memory only. If you have crewchief and simhub installed locally, they will be reading from the telemetry sent to the RAM anyway so UDP is just a waste of resources and networking capacity from the router.

Let us know if that helped.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Afaik they have both mutually exclusive data within them, am I wrong or they really have exact same set of data?

6. Shriukan

No idea but for typical crewchief and simhub usage Shared Memory is enough.

7. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's been a while since I last checked, but from what I remember UDP and SharedMemory share almost the same data, except for some very minor differences.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I just checked the default UDP values.

UDP default.png

9. Chris89

Chris89 New Member

Alright so it seems like turning UDP Frequency to OFF has actually solved the problem! Thank you very much! :D
    I still don't get it though, because I've been playing PC2 for years with that setting turned on and have played AMS2 like that as well and now it's suddenly a problem. :confused:

10. Shriukan

You can keep UDP on but you need to be aware of your fps and adjust the value higher, the higher your fps so as to not overload the router with packets :)
    I used 5 on 60fps and that was fine with my Fritzbox but 1-2 was too much

But as i said, you only need UDP if the program is on another device or if it doesn’t read from shared memory

• Informative Informative x 3