1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza has done a great job and the latest developments have been something wonderful both in terms of new content and in terms of physics ... I think already like this it is comparable, if not better, to the more famous and simulation racing games like RF2, iRacing and ACC (of course some aspects are still immature and to be developed, but they are there) ... I love the commitment of Reiza (already seen in AMS1 which has a very good, if not the best, FFB on the market) and also the communication qualities of Mr. Renato are at the top. For these reasons I bought the game in EA and I also took the SeasonPass 2020-2021 and I really think that, if it is in their programs, I will also buy a hypothetical SesonPass 2022-2023.

Having said the above, I share the thoughts and emotions of Mr. Karsten Hvidberg ... there is no reason for such persistent silence, one can not include the work wonderfully done here by explaining it (for example, an answer like " now we do not implement because in the future the physics will be upset "), or, you could include something or create an additional profile by giving the minimum and necessary information to Karsten and without knowing the secrets and future developments of Reiza.
    Regardless, I don't think Reiza doesn't know about the existence of this thread on their forum ... only one thing I can say, I love Reiza for their work done and / or to be done, but I thank Karsten for making it more enjoyable and more this wonderful game can be used right from the start. Given the latest excellent results, at this point I would agree to avoid such an excessive development on the possible evolutions of custom files, just refine this wonderful .41 version (publicly stopping the experimental part only obvious discoveries to be implemented) and see how the game in the future ... from there decide what to implement update after update ... in the end the silence on one side is the silence of the other ... and the game is not ours !!!

In the meantime, no offense to Reiza whom I respect, thank you very much Mr. Karsten Hvidberg and all the other users (none excluded) who have created and processed these valid FFB file alternatives without ever asking for anything in return.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey Michael,

It's the interaction between us all and my own interest on top that's made it this far, but it's just a lot of hours in my spare time to do some things where the ping-pong with Reiza would have saved me prob. months that makes it this way. This will only get worse as I go to more detail and so it will not even be possible without the ping-pong, it simply will take too much time to do anything that otherwise could be done in minutes, I'm afraid. Also for me to not know what coming ahead. I can spend 1000 hours on something, but it could all break or the physics could change in an unexpected way & I have no way of knowing or planning for it. My only way would be to just continue racking up the hours on it & then redo stuff over and over. Add to that my feeling of not wanting to support somebody not responding, and it becomes too much.

I agree fully with @Stakanov 's comment above, and as said I am very happy to continue working at small incremental steps with everybody else here. I am not screaming & yelling of anger at Reiza(I am annoyed that they won't respond to me of everybody, for some strange reason), it's their choice how they work, and it's my own choice having gone this far and I was never expecting any help. I'm just at the end of this one path, since without ping-pong the return on the time will now become tiny.

This file can continue to improve on a few things, help satisfying the minority we are, not liking Default so much, until Reiza works their way to their own Default being great when they feel that makes sense. I am looking forward to that too like everybody else.

Finally this has been a learning ride & I am grateful for that :)

Let's continue making the fine adjustments and posting best possible files for each wheel base, I think that might be what helps most like-minded find more value here, until Default is great :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  3. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

Yikes - I hope they decide to play ball - I dont think they realise just how much of an impact these files have for those of us that use them. I used to think ACC was king of the FFB but with your files it just raises the bar to an incredible level with the GT3 / GT1 / Formula v12 etc...

Thank you very much for all your efforts (and those who contributed too!).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Maybe proposing this in the beta forum would have an instant attention. Don’t know just thinking loud myself.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

What is the veya forum? I am not familiar with it?

6. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg There’s a similar feel to your position and what happened with christiaan in PC2, no access to the source systems leaving a hole in development.
    SMS never supported the notion of working alongside and on the face of it, didn’t get past the criticism of there defaults.
    Hopefully Reiza can do what they have already been doing and have a proactive approach to fan feedback.

the way you have created this rack system and the code work is mind blowing, it’s so different to anything else it may be considered to complicated for mass release. But they can just keep it hidden in default and apply more sliders for individual effects, so the average joe can adjust to suit themselves. Not unlike PC1, but they made it a language nobody understood.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

Happy to post that I am in touch with Reiza. I appreciate that, and my reservations can be laid to rest no matter what they/I/we might end up doing. Just a few clarifications is all I really need and I think those are coming.

Posting now to prevent this from starting any kinds of fires.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 9
  8. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Great news, Karsten. I'm finding your files are keeping me wanting to play this game. The tyre physics still seems off (weird slidey Madness/Pcars2 hangovers) so hopefully that can eventually be dialled out and your input can help this game shine even more brightly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I share the silence and it is right to be serious and discreet ;) ... I am very happy with this contact and feedback from Reyza ... however it goes, this shows how good faith the attitude of both parties is ...:)
    :hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is such great news. Thank you Reiza, thank you Karsten.

11. steve montuno

steve montuno Member

Thats good news Karsten ,,my ffb feels immense now with your custom file and a couple of personal tweaks ,,, cheers bud .

12. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

All as I can say is "about bloody time". You have put in sooooo much work/effort for Reiza, and for free mind you, that for them to finally talk, that is great. Thank you and keep up the good work.

13. seevip

seevip New Member

Can you share your DD1 and Fanalab settings with the latest release, Ill try to test what you have and compare thoughts as well.

14. Kuku Maddog

i tried to dial .41 in last night but couldn’t quite find the balance of feel.
    bumps and kerbs where quite sharp and if i tuned them smoother i felt like i was loosing important road feel.
    but my main problem of late is power oversteer. some car exhibit a lot of what i would call torque steer. it feels like front wheel drive torque steering but coming from a rear wheel drive.
    the lateral oversteer force’s are fine. it’s when you give to much gas as the car wants to turn you around. it feels odd .
    it has a strong resistance to counter steer when i would expect the wheel resistance to decrease in power as you apply opposite lock.
    the issue is if i weakened that for the problem cars the better balanced cars then don’t have decent oversteer feel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

Will try to notice this.
    One thing to be aware of is that the first 15 secs or so and also until max lateral force has been reached, the file is scaling the lateral force incorrectly.
    Only after the 15 secs and after max lateral force has been hit the first time will it continue to scale the lateral force correctly.
    For me it's a matter of the first 2 corners or so.
    I am not sure if that is when you experience this issue, but otherwise there are more adjustments required 8)

16. Kuku Maddog

well
    probably because of tyre temps being lower at start, but it actually becomes more difficult after the first lap. , even in TT mode when tyres are warm to start.
    it’s a combination of dodgy physics on some cars , bad diff settings and the forces not dropping off fast enough when counter steering and get off throttle.

17. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Good to know !

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Pardon may damn iPhone auto correct, it is beta forum

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Sure, here's my current settings:
    upload_2021-1-8_22-27-20.png
    I like to have a bit of dynamic damping as well, especially for the high downforce cars: upload_2021-1-8_22-28-37.png
    In-game settings. Gain is adjusted for every car, currently 45 for GT3, 35 for GT1 and 25 for Formula Ultimate. With Karsten's v.41 gain feels a bit high, so I might turn it down a bit more.
    upload_2021-1-8_22-29-59.png

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Kuku,

Is there a good car to feel this issue?
    Also, is it related to your later comment in another post: "forces not dropping off fast enough when counter steering and get off throttle."?